Pre-Vet & Animal Rights Groups

Started by KD77
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nope. There's a real difference between the two, and it's almost a guarantee that you'll be asked about the difference and where you stand during vet school interviews. If you answer that they're the same, don't hold your breath for an acceptance.

This is true... I believe ever interviewee at Purdue was asked that this year. Also a lot of questions about cheating.
 
This is true... I believe ever interviewee at Purdue was asked that this year. Also a lot of questions about cheating.

Breenie:

At the risk of total derailment (not that this thread was going anywhere) .... what do they ask about cheating?

I mean, I'm trying to picture that one.

Interviewer: "Tell us what you think about cheating."
Applicant: "Um..... Um..... cheating... bad?"

Do they get people who totally advocate for cheating?
 
Breenie:

At the risk of total derailment (not that this thread was going anywhere) .... what do they ask about cheating?

I mean, I'm trying to picture that one.

Interviewer: "Tell us what you think about cheating."
Applicant: "Um..... Um..... cheating... bad?"

Do they get people who totally advocate for cheating?

Right? I was actually one of the few people not to get totally bombarded with cheating questions, but I had some buddies that day who were given multiple situations and asked if they would report the cheating, if they considered it cheating, etc.

I mean... they're pretty obvious questions to answer. They weren't hard. If a dean asks you, "Would you report it if someone in your class was trying to organize a group cheating effort?" You don't say no, regardless of what you would actually do.

I hope?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I mean... they're pretty obvious questions to answer. They weren't hard. If a dean asks you, "Would you report it if someone in your class was trying to organize a group cheating effort?" You don't say no, regardless of what you would actually do.

Man. I can see where you don't want to come across like you'd be the class police/snitch, but still ... I'm not really seeing the purpose behind those questions.

I mean, pretty much everyone is going to go with "I would follow the school's policies and honor code to the best of my understanding and ability" or some other pithy, safe approach whether they meant it or not. Except Dsmoody. He'd come up with something funny and, hopefully, later post it on SDN.

I'm glad my interview was straight-up behavioral without that kind of hypothetical stuff. I can't say I "enjoyed" it, but I can say that the school did their absolute best to make it painless.
 
To chime in about the cheating question... I got asked one as well, something along the lines of "If you saw a classmate cheating, what would you do?" I said that first I would approach the student and address the issue with them, to make sure they weren't struggling and to offer help if I could. If it continued, then I would report it. They seemed happy with that answer... *shrug*
 
You probably surprised them by being reasonable. 🙂 (Though technically, the 'approach the student' thing would have been a clear violation
of the honor code at my last school. Kudos for having guts to go with reasonable over by-the-book.)

Yeah, it may not have been the smartest answer, but I was obviously super nervous and was trying to determine what they wanted. I figured showing some compassion and humanity toward the student might be a good option. But now that I think about it, I might have said approach them, see if they need help, and give them the opportunity to turn themselves in first. I don't remember exactly, that was (holy crap) 2.5 years ago!
 
Animal rights groups and animal welfare groups are two different things (I know you said nothing about animal welfare groups, but roll with me 😀 )...That being said, I know many vets (some are professors) who are completely against animal rights groups.

Big fat ditto--virtually all vets are against animal rights (and those who purport to be for animal rights probably are truly just an aggressive animal welfare advocate--as has been stated, a true animal rights philosophy is not compatible with vet med), but of course support animal welfare. I would stay away from any PETA-type groups. Even the Humane Society of the United States is pretty radical, despite the innocent-looking ads showing poor little puppies and kittens. This is particularly true if you are in an agricultural area--HSUS does not support traditional animal agriculture.
 
Last edited:
To chime in about the cheating question... I got asked one as well, something along the lines of "If you saw a classmate cheating, what would you do?" I said that first I would approach the student and address the issue with them, to make sure they weren't struggling and to offer help if I could. If it continued, then I would report it. They seemed happy with that answer... *shrug*

Actually, I got asked the same in my interview, and said the same thing you did. And then they told me that the honor code I would sign said that if I saw anyone cheating I would be required to report them. I was like "welp"