Veterinary Pre-vet application advice - feeling a little worried

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMP-SMX

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

So I am applying for Veterinary School this upcoming cycle (2019) and I really want to get in on my first try but I am having some doubts. Here's a bit of info I can offer:

I graduated with an AA degree at the age of 18 (actually before my high school diploma if we're being technical). My cum. GPA is super low (2.8 at the moment), and my science is even worse. Last 45 credits is so far a 1.5.

Earlier last year my brother was a mass shooting survivor and it was a tough time for our family (resulting in a C in Orgo and the rest Bs and one A). A couple of months after the shooting we found out that he was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer (literally a month into the FALL 2018 semester). I was spending most of my days in the hospital, and overall, it was the worst time of my family's life. I had no option but to push through it, as I would lose two of my major scholarships to university if I had "dropped" or "withdrawn" from my classes. This resulted in my first ever F in Orgo 2, and a D in Cell and Molec, as well as a semester GPA of 1.5.

I worked at an animal hospital in Kennel for 5 months (my brother got diagnosed and I had to leave the job), but I actually worked super close with the Vets. (642 hours total)

I have a letter of recommendation from the Medical Director and Head Veterinarian at this hospital, the Undergraduate Department Chair for Sciences at my university, a physics professor, a piano professor, and another veterinarian.

I am in multiple clubs at school and is in their Honors College. I had a spot reserved in their D.O. school but dropped it to focus and pursue Veterinary medicine, and I also founded a free live tutoring service for Coptic children and adults pre-k to Bachelor's level.

I feel like my application is strong if it wasn't for my GPA but I'm super hesitant. I haven't taken my GRE yet, but I plan to score a bit higher.

I want to stay in the U.S. but I'm just not sure what my chances are and if any school would even consider my application let alone give me a chance. If so, what schools are known to give a bit more acceptances to those in my scenario in the U.S.?
Hindsight is 20/20 but your scholarship may not have needed to be removed if you withdrew for the circumstances you discussed above. That would have been much better for your mental health and GPA. It's likely to be very difficult for you to get into professional school unless you show an upward trend. If people pick up your application you at least need to show things have improved. You saying your last 45 credits show there is a serious issue with your ability to handle your coursework for the reasons you stated above. You need to have been working with an advisor and worry more about your future ability to do what you want in life rather than a scholarship which is a privilege and not a necessity. Can you take time off to regroup?

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with you on scholarships, but I am attending a private school, and with the cost of the Chemo (insurance wasn’t paying), even something as little as 2k would kill us financially. I could work on a Master’s and try again next year to make me a bit more competitive and that’s my backup plan so far. Also I’m a Junior right now, so I have a year left. If it doesn’t work out this year, I’ll definitely have a higher gpa by the time I graduate (or so I hope). So far, based on how I’m doing this semester along, I do see an upward trend. May you please explain what you mean by “hindsight is 20/20”?
The biggest thing you could have done in this situation is withdrawn due to the issues going on in the beginning and not after the grades came back and tanked your GPA. How are you doing in your current classes? The answer to that will probably help determine if you have turned the corner and are likely to be successful in your plan.

I'm saddened to hear the financial reality of the chemotherapy but wish the safety net would have kicked in. Often in cases of financial strain Medicaid secondary becomes a possibility to assist in these cases.

Before I forget to say so, thank you for responding and for offering your advice.

I’m doing well so far! I’m taking all sciences (Biomedical ethics, Ecology, MicroBio, Genetics, and Environmental) to help with my gpa. It’s still the very start of the semester, but so far super good :)
Great news. Do the math and set goals to see what's possible. Show an upward trend. Put in the hours for board prep as it may come down to that. Postbac/Masters programs might be necessary to get you to where you want to go. Vet school is competitive.

VMCAS has a place to explain changes in behavior (particularly with regards to grades and GPAs) in the application to vet school.

The best thing you can do at this point is your best work. Having a last 45 hr GPA that trends upwards comparatively, showing a positive trend overall in your GPA, and discussing why there was a decrease in GPA (and what you've learned about yourself and why it won't happen again) will help your chances greatly. Apply to schools smartly when you do. Not all vet schools place a large amount of importance on all GPAs equally, and some actually don't count any but the last 45. The best way to learn which do and don't is to contact schools directly or look up their admissions information.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.