Veterinary Pre-Vet Student Applying 2022-2023 cycle. Feedback on current application and what to improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am a student at The Ohio State University, and I am looking to apply to veterinary school soon. My top choices are Ohio State, NC State, UPenn (my in-state school), and Tufts. Below I have attached my current list of academics and experiences. Is there anything I should improve/expand upon? Also, is my GRE score good enough, or should I consider retaking it?

Honors Student
Biology Major
Animal Pre-Veterinary Medicine Minor
GPA: 4.0/4.0
Science GPA: 4.0
GPA last 45 credit hours: 4.0

GRE: 159 Q (70%)/ 163 V (93%)/ 4.5 W (81%)

Veterinary Experiences:

50 hours shadowing a small animal clinic in high school
200 hours (and counting) volunteering at a small clinic. This will be turning into a paid veterinary assistant position next semester :)
50 hours in Peru volunteering as a veterinary assistant and giving aid to communities in need

Animal Experience:

3000+ hours as a farmhand
200+ hours pet-sitting
250+ hours interning at a wildlife rehab center
550+ hours interning as a conservation educator at a zoo
100+ hours as puppy-sitter for Guiding Eyes for the Blind (see below)

Leadership and other activities:

2 years treasurer and upcoming president of my colleges Volunteers Around the World—Veterinary Outreach
Member of Jump Rope Club (300+ hours)...volunteering, performing, and competitions
Active puppy-sitter for my school's seeing-eye dog raising club. I intend to raise my own puppy next year
This summer I am working at a very large vet hospital as a veterinary assistant (expected 500+ hours)...my training is on hold right now due to the COVID pandemic :(.
Next summer I intend to research under a veterinarian at my school on large animals (expected 300+ hours)

Is there anything I should add or reconsider in my application thus far? Also, with the COVID pandemic, does anybody have any advice on how to expand upon my application while remaining quarantined. What would school like to see during this time? I am very frightened that I will not be able to work this summer due to the virus.

Fortunately animal shelters are trying to get all of their animals out of their shelters, and there are many volunteering drives to help those with limited resources get pet food for their animals. I'm not sure if you have the ability to do this, but you may want to check your vet mentors about it. My own impression is that you have a good variety of experiences with different animals. Hopefully you have been in touch with the admissions staff at Ohio State if you are an Ohio resident.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.