Pre-Veterinary checklist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alwayslistening

OSU-CVM c/o 2017!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was mulling things over, and wanted to create a thread for the opinions of the "essential" experiences, that we as pre-veterinary students should try to have under our belts before applying/attending veterinary school.

What I have is as follows:

Watch/perform a euthanasia (with supervision) and if there is a necropsy, watch/assist in that
Learn basic suturing
Scrub in on surgery
Palpate/do pregnancy checks on cows
Basic animal restraint on the various species
Learn how to draw blood
Learn some common medications (Banamine etc) in your chosen interest, and their doses
Some common diseases and/or management problems
Research your (for now) intended career choice, such as specializing, or being a practice owner

Please feel free to add to this list! I am interested in hearing what everyone else has to say :D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This thread is going to give a bunch of people insecurity/panic attacks...

Handle one case from start to finish (walk through a PE, decide on testing, interpret results, etc), all the way to making go home instructions and answering client questions.

Work front desk/reception.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly I think it is IMPOSSIBLE to compile a list of "essentials" you should have. Everyone's experiences will be, and should be, different. I haven't ever palpated a cow, and I'm strangely comfortable with that! :rolleyes: But I've got 4 years hands-on tech experience in a SA clinic, two yeasr with an equine vet, and thousands of hours of animal experiences. In addition, what you are allowed to do is going to vary based on the vets you work with and the laws of the state you're in.

Honestly I think it is IMPOSSIBLE to compile a list of "essentials" you should have.

Completely agree.

And I think that most people are confused by thinking that veterinary experience is supposed to be used to gain skills/experiences required for vet school. Although that it is certainly possible, it is mainly to make sure the applicant has an understanding of what vet med is about and would be suited to a professional career as a vet.

Don't be discouraged if you haven't done many of these items listed (or yet to be listed).
Also don't be discouraged from trying to gain various experiences either, it certainly doesn't hurt.

Honestly I think it is IMPOSSIBLE to compile a list of "essentials" you should have. Everyone's experiences will be, and should be, different. I haven't ever palpated a cow, and I'm strangely comfortable with that! :rolleyes: But I've got 4 years hands-on tech experience in a SA clinic, two yeasr with an equine vet, and thousands of hours of animal experiences. In addition, what you are allowed to do is going to vary based on the vets you work with and the laws of the state you're in.

Agreed, maybe "essential" is the wrong word. Maybe "unique" or "in-depth" would be better?

This list can be different for all people, some who can have access to large animal/equine experiences, and for others, small animal work is more within their means (and might be something they enjoy :) )

I based this off my own experiences (the cows :love: ) so I DO want to hear all of what other people have to say :)

I'm right in your area, and I've never met a vet down here who will let a tech/a asst. suture or perform a euthanasia. I did one via doctors orders, over the phone, once, but only because she was on a boat in a lake and it couldn't wait.

Equally, scrubbing in for surgery is probably a stretch too, as not too many places want to waste the money and time for you to scrub up when you could complete the tasks required of you while wearing a track suit or a halloween costume.

This list is a nice ideal checklist, but maybe not so practical for most people.

I think the only truly "essential" experience should be to work/volunteer/shadow at a veterinary clinic. Not all prevet students have the same opportunities to gain all of those experiences, but if they are able to make the most of the limited experiences they are given, I think that says a lot more about a persons desire to be in the field.

Additionally, not all clinics will allow you to do a lot of the things that have been listed, and many states won't legally let you do some things.

I think as long as you can show in your experiences, and more importantly, use your experiences, even those not necessarily related to vet med or even animals (ex, using customer service experience to show that you have the ability to communicate with people and deal with frustrating situations), to show that you have what it takes to be a vet and have the passion for vet med, then you have gained "essential" experiences.

I don't think learning specific technical skills is what you should focus on. Even as a vet student employed at a vet clinic, I have not been allowed to suture and don't expect to until after a surgery class - that is a task appropriate for a vet at this point.

I think a list would look more like:
-Witness the day-to-day and repetitive aspect of the profession (will you get bored?)
-Witness a variety of really gory things including surgery (are you ok with blood? abscesses?)
-Witness a variety of really sad situations and learn how vets deal with them (can you handle it emotionally?)
-Witness difficult and hostile clients and learn how vets deal with them (can you work with difficult people?)
-Witness situations with clients with no money and a very sick animal (can you learn to not judge and to have a plan B and C?)

I don't think learning specific technical skills is what you should focus on. Even as a vet student employed at a vet clinic, I have not been allowed to suture and don't expect to until after a surgery class - that is a task appropriate for a vet at this point.

-Witness the day-to-day and repetitive aspect of the profession (will you get bored?)
-Witness a variety of really gory things including surgery (are you ok with blood? abscesses?)
-Witness a variety of really sad situations and learn how vets deal with them (can you handle it emotionally?)
-Witness difficult and hostile clients and learn how vets deal with them (can you work with difficult people?)
-Witness situations with clients with no money and a very sick animal (can you learn to not judge and to have a plan B and C?)

All of this is very helpful. I guess my initial list was too narrow in focus. Sorry about that :)

I like this list! I think those things are very important, and often the issues that decide it for people. Most people can learn to suture, but not everyone can handle the grief/interpersonal issues.

I like this list! I think those things are very important, and often the issues that decide it for people. Most people can learn to suture, but not everyone can handle the grief/interpersonal issues.

Thank you all for your responses, it has been very helpful thus far :) It is nice to get the perspective from other people

This list gives me hope :). This is the type of thing I have been focusing on with my experience hours (I don't have many compared to most and only have a couple more months to get more). When I called Ohio State to see if my rehabbing experience would count, this type stuff is the stuff the lady said the vet experience hours were for, not so much finding out what you can do, but finding out if you want to be a vet. I was just listing the skills I had gained as a rehabber (dosing meds, tube feeding, placing urinary catheter, bandaging wounds, splinting, etc.) and she said that that was all great but not the point of the vet experience hours. She said to follow or work with a vet and learn what they do in a typical day to see if that is something I truly want to do with my life. She said becoming a vet is a huge decision and the vet experience hours are to make sure it is the right decision for you. Sometimes I get all wrapped up in what everyone else can do and what everyone else knows and lose sight of the goal. Your post sums up the purpose of vet experience hours well and is a good reminder of what to focus on.

Members don't see this ad :)
This list gives me hope :). This is the type of thing I have been focusing on with my experience hours (I don't have many compared to most and only have a couple more months to get more). When I called Ohio State to see if my rehabbing experience would count, this type stuff is the stuff the lady said the vet experience hours were for, not so much finding out what you can do, but finding out if you want to be a vet. I was just listing the skills I had gained as a rehabber (dosing meds, tube feeding, placing urinary catheter, bandaging wounds, splinting, etc.) and she said that that was all great but not the point of the vet experience hours. She said to follow or work with a vet and learn what they do in a typical day to see if that is something I truly want to do with my life. She said becoming a vet is a huge decision and the vet experience hours are to make sure it is the right decision for you. Sometimes I get all wrapped up in what everyone else can do and what everyone else knows and lose sight of the goal. Your post sums up the purpose of vet experience hours well and is a good reminder of what to focus on.

Glad it was helpful. FWIW I listed my hours working with a rehabber as vet experience and I don't think Penn had a problem with it. I think it does cover the sad / gory / lack of finances / working with crazy people categories... but I think different schools will have different opinions so go with what they told you.

This list gives me hope :). This is the type of thing I have been focusing on with my experience hours (I don't have many compared to most and only have a couple more months to get more). When I called Ohio State to see if my rehabbing experience would count, this type stuff is the stuff the lady said the vet experience hours were for, not so much finding out what you can do, but finding out if you want to be a vet.

And this is, to me, what experience hours are for. I figure vet school will teach me the hands on stuff I need to know. So I'm not too worried then I've never done a blood draw or placed a catheter or anything like that. I've done some hands-on tech stuff, but not a lot of the stuff on alwayslistening's list (wishing I could palpate a cow but never had the chance!). But I've been in clinics enough to know what the profession is and how much I want it.

And this is, to me, what experience hours are for. I figure vet school will teach me the hands on stuff I need to know. So I'm not too worried then I've never done a blood draw or placed a catheter or anything like that.

I wouldn't rely solely on vet school to teach you blood drawing or catheter placement....

I wouldn't rely solely on vet school to teach you blood drawing or catheter placement....

yea... but no reason why you can't wait until vet school to learn it though.

+1 bunnity. I think you're pretty good to go as long as you know from experience what exactly you're getting into with vet med, and have realistic expectations of your career.

+1 - this is GREAT!

ultimately this is what we need to learn, the "fun" stuff is extra. at the end of the day, a vet's job is medicine, a tech's job is technical skills. yes the doctor should have some working knowledge of the stuff that techs do, but ultimately, thats why we hire them.

Saw my first C-section yesterday at the clinic I volunteer at. Definitely one of the most interesting surgeries I've seen... Definitely something I need to see more of. It was much more "gory" than anything else I've observed. I need to get my eyes/brain/stomach used to this stuff!!

I agree 100% with Bunnity.

That being said, I'm working at an SA clinic this summer and feeling so great about being able to draw blood, place catheters, etc. The place I'm at is really great about letting me get involved and the owner (whose daughters have all been through vet school) mentioned how a lot of students get to clinics/rotations and are crying in the back because they can't get blood or some other little thing. I think IF YOU CAN get these experiences early on, it's well worth it. If you CANNOT, don't sweat it because you will learn.

I agree with bunnity. Those are the reasons we do veterinary experience and why its so important. But if you have the opportunity to do the types of things alwayslistening talked about then I feel you will be better prepared for school. It gives you the hands on experience that in reality you won't get until later in veterinary school. So no one should freak out if they haven't drawn blood before but already knowing how to pull a calf, draw blood, calculate dosages, intubate a cow, or practice suturing on dead chickens will only benefit you down the line.

Hi all,

I was mulling things over, and wanted to create a thread for the opinions of the "essential" experiences, that we as pre-veterinary students should try to have under our belts before applying/attending veterinary school.

What I have is as follows:

Watch/perform a euthanasia (with supervision) and if there is a necropsy, watch/assist in that
Learn basic suturing
Scrub in on surgery
Palpate/do pregnancy checks on cows
Basic animal restraint on the various species
Learn how to draw blood
Learn some common medications (Banamine etc) in your chosen interest, and their doses
Some common diseases and/or management problems
Research your (for now) intended career choice, such as specializing, or being a practice owner

Please feel free to add to this list! I am interested in hearing what everyone else has to say :D

There are a huge number of people in vet school (including me) that haven't done/aren't comfortable with all of these things. That is one of the wonderful things about vet school, everyone brings a uniques skill set and diverse background.

Good lists! I would only add:

-work with an agressive/fractious/mean animal of your preferred species (some of your patients will try to kill you. can you deal with that?)

Safely, of course.

I'm right in your area, and I've never met a vet down here who will let a tech/a asst. suture or perform a euthanasia. I did one via doctors orders, over the phone, once, but only because she was on a boat in a lake and it couldn't wait.

Hello from a fellow Lehigh Valley resident! I'm a non-trad, too...maybe we can do a LV SDN meetup!

Hello from a fellow Lehigh Valley resident! I'm a non-trad, too...maybe we can do a LV SDN meetup!

I'm curious how you guys are finding the job/school situation down here.

I'm vaguely content with both, but don't have any real frame of reference, not being from the area.

It doesn't look like I will have the opportunity to be employed before applying to vet school right now, so a lot of these things are out of the question for me. As a volunteer I feel so limited, but I do what I can and observe as much as possible. This thread is not making me feel so good... Although some of you are saying that these vet-tech skills aren't a pre-requisite for vet school, which is somewhat comforting.

It doesn't look like I will have the opportunity to be employed before applying to vet school right now, so a lot of these things are out of the question for me. As a volunteer I feel so limited, but I do what I can and observe as much as possible. This thread is not making me feel so good... Although some of you are saying that these vet-tech skills aren't a pre-requisite for vet school, which is somewhat comforting.

Don't sweat it too much. Vet school does only give you limited opportunities to practice many of the technical procedures you'll need, so at some point you'll want to get as much of the extra practice in as you can. But if it's nearly impossible to do that now, then it's not the end of the world to wait until you're in vet school and are living off of loans anyway. It just means you'll need to work extra hard during vet school to find these opportunities compared to others who have come in with more experience. Just remember that not everyone's worked in a clinic as a tech for 10+ years. It's a lot like coursework. Those who come in with the bare minimum requirements usually have to work much harder than others with a strong science background to succeed. But depending on college major, work status, etc... not everyone has the chance to take bazillion upper level biology courses. That doesn't mean they can't catch up during vet school. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses coming into vet school, so as long as you're willing to work on your weaknesses once you're in school, don't let it weigh you down too much. I've yet to meet the perfect vet student, who has everything. There may be a few people who think they are, but don't let that fool you. If anything, they're probably delusional.

I'm curious how you guys are finding the job/school situation down here.

I'm vaguely content with both, but don't have any real frame of reference, not being from the area.

Are you talking in general or specifically for vet med?

In general, Allentown, Bethlehem, and Easton were tied for 4th place in Forbes' "Worst Cities for Jobs." We moved here because of my husband's job and I was thankful that my company was able to transfer me here, because I sent out about 200 resumes and got two phone interviews. I think it's pretty desolate.

For vet jobs, though, I monitor job boards and am consistently seeing positions in the area for full-time, part-time, and emergency vets. The vet I primarily shadow seems to think the LV is a great place to begin a career in vet med.

As far as schools go, it's amazing to me how many universities and colleges are in the area. Lehigh, Moravian, DeSales, Muhlenberg, NCC, LCCC, Kutztown, etc. I can't really comment on the quality of all of them, but I'm a big proponent of education being mostly what you make of it (unless you go to a top tier school).

Are you planning on staying in the area after vet school? I'm guessing you're applying to Penn if you're concerned about the job market in the area....me too!