Precedex sedation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Healthinfo104

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does precedex cause amnesia in higher doses if that is one of the desired effects of the sedation on the patient?

Members don't see this ad.

In and of itself it does not have amnestic effects, though I think what's been characterized as amnesia was really inattentiveness at those higher doses.

In and of itself it does not have amnestic effects, though I think what's been characterized as amnesia was really inattentiveness at those higher doses.

Huh?

Yes, Precedex does cause amnesia at higher doses. Saying that it isn't an amnestic and the patient doesn't remember because of inattentiveness doesn't really make sense -- "memory loss by any other name would still be called amnesia" (by very bad reference to Shakespeare)

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh I see so there's loss of memory from certain sedatives amnesia inducing effects itself, and then there's loss of memory just from impaired awareness at higher doses?

Huh?

Yes, Precedex does cause amnesia at higher doses. Saying that it isn't an amnestic and the patient doesn't remember because of inattentiveness doesn't really make sense -- "memory loss by any other name would still be called amnesia" (by very bad reference to Shakespeare)

Oh ok, so it does reliably cause amnesia?

With that said, do most narcotics, sedatives/ anesthetics whether it be benzos, barbiturates, propofol, opioids etc in higher doses cause amnesia?

Oh I see so there's loss of memory from certain sedatives amnesia inducing effects itself, and then there's loss of memory just from impaired awareness at higher doses?

Correct...most sedatives will impair learning and memory formation in most patients at high enough doses because they render the patient unconscious. That is different than specific amnestic effects of certain agents that can produce antegrade amnesia in conscious patients. A patient who receives a dose of versed can have a conversation with you and not remember it. But it is not reliable. Some patients will still remember and some won’t. No agents will “reliably” cause amnesia in everyone unless you give a high enough dose to render them unconscious.

Last edited:
Hi. What is your profession?
Mental health, but a lot of our manic patients have been having to be heavily sedated with various sedatives/ anesthetics because theyre regular medications are not reglaring their moods enough to allow them to sleep.

Correct...most sedatives will impair learning and memory formation in most patients at high enough doses because they render the patient unconscious. That is different than specific amnestic effects of certain agents that can produce antegrade amnesia in conscious patients. A patient who receives a dose of versed can have a conversation with you and not remember it. But it is not reliable. Some patients will still remember and some won’t. No agents will “reliably” cause amnesia in everyone unless you give a high enough dose to render them unconscious.

Well I guess that is what I am asking, can precedex induce anterograde amnesia in certain doses?

Mental health, but a lot of our manic patients have been having to be heavily sedated with various sedatives/ anesthetics because theyre regular medications are not reglaring their moods enough to allow them to sleep.

Interesting. Who does the sedating?

Well I guess that is what I am asking, can precedex induce anterograde amnesia in certain doses?

And I think I answered the question in my previous post. It can but I wouldn’t count on it if amnesia is an important objective. Think of it like alcohol, sometimes you black out and sometimes you don’t.

Last edited:
So, from talking to a handful of people that have experienced Precedex sedation at various doses (as part of studies on its effects on SSEP/MEP's), it wreaks havoc on your body's sleep /wake cycles for a few days after the infusion is done. They said it was really hard to get back into a normal circadian rhythm.

They didn't experience this with any other agents, and they had them all: benzos, prop, ket, barbs, opioids.

Why not propofol? It worked out great for MJ.

i mean if they are sedated enough to not be aware then yea they wont make memories of it, but if they are aware, i dont think so

And even if they look like they are not aware, there is no guarantee. I wouldn’t make fun of their pannus;)

Reactions: 1 user