Predent postbacc program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dxmb

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I understood at first but I keep reading different answers. What exactly is the purpose of Dental Post-Bacc programs? What are the advantages/ disadvantages? Are you able to apply to any dental school after completion?

Members don't see this ad.

First, it depends what you mean by post-bacc(which is really just another word for post graduate)
A) You have completed your pre reqs, but you need to raise your gpa.
B) you have not completed your pre reqs,

Many people in situation A apply into a Master's program (usually in bio). The classes are upper level bio and by doing well, they raise they're overall gpa and show an upward trend.
They same could also be done by taking upper level bio class at a 4y college as a non degree student. this obviously would not yield a degree though.

people in situation B will have to complete the pre reqs as a post grad. there are two options here as well:
Formal post bac- these programs need to be applied into and can be very competitive. they have planned schedules and advisors that assist the students with their needs.
OR
Informal post bac (what I did) - I applied to a CUNY school as a non degree student and simply signed up for the classes i needed to take. i didnt have an advisor, but i knew what i needed to do and planned accordingly.

hope this helped

thanks for answering my questions! I would be in the group B category. I like the idea of the programs because it seems more supportive especially because I haven't taken any science prereqs yet. Doing it informally would be more efficient in terms of costs and time. But I'm just not sure if I'm capable of getting A-'s in all the science prereqs at this University. I read many of the threads here saying they wouldn't recommend it at this school hence why I'm leaning towards a formal program elsewhere but it's very expensive....as a non degree student did you take full science loads? Did you get all A's in them? If you retake a course for a higher grade how is that calculated in your GPA? Trying to find a practical route for myself..

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for answering my questions! I would be in the group B category. I like the idea of the programs because it seems more supportive especially because I haven't taken any science prereqs yet. Doing it informally would be more efficient in terms of costs and time. But I'm just not sure if I'm capable of getting A-'s in all the science prereqs at this University. I read many of the threads here saying they wouldn't recommend it at this school hence why I'm leaning towards a formal program elsewhere but it's very expensive....as a non degree student did you take full science loads? Did you get all A's in them? If you retake a course for a higher grade how is that calculated in your GPA? Trying to find a practical route for myself..

Informally can definitely be cheaper and more efficient IF you can get all the classes you need. Have you looked into getting those classes to see if it is even possible at that university?

All grades will be included in GPA calculation regardless of retake.

Glad i Could help. I did not take a full load. I stretched all the pre reqs(except calc) over a 2.5 year program. I did this because i Started in Jan 2013 and knew I would not be able to take that DAT and apply until this cycle, so I Chose to spread out my classes and not have a gap year.
This allowed me to focus and finish my post bacc with a 3.9.(all As except for chem2)

I really don't think a formal program is necessary. I have a good frind who also did a post bacc, starting in a formal program, then had to switch bc it was too expensive.

Yeah, I think at this point it's probably best to do it informally and take classes at the right pace. Congrats a 3.9 is hard work! Sjv, I will be able to take all the prereqs at this university, by declaring a double major to stay undergrad and graduate later. If I graduate now and come back as a non degree student there would be no chance of me getting into any of the classes here because of the size. I'm pretty confident I have a good story and the other qualities of a good applicant. The only thing I'm worried about are the grades but I think if I plan it out right, find supportive mentors and work crazy hard I should be ok. I'm going to do more research..thanks for the advice guys!