predental postbac need help please.master question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaughingGas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been a sub-3.0 student. I retook my prereqs and took a number of upper div bio(anat,phys, immunology, evoution, biochemI,II, embryology, cell bio,nutrition and yet more to take this fall and next spring). Postbac GPA of about 3 years is sitting at 3.8, and finally raised to 3.0 on both ogpa, and sgpa(i know pretty horrible..).
My question is I found a master program, 1year non-thesis based (so lecture based+cumulative test by the end of the year). I know this is not SMP, but since it's similar idea, taking grad level courses , do you think doing well on this, will increase my chance of getting in to dental school??

please help...
Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been a sub-3.0 student. I retook my prereqs and took a number of upper div bio(anat,phys, immunology, evoution, biochemI,II, embryology, cell bio,nutrition and yet more to take this fall and next spring). Postbac GPA of about 3 years is sitting at 3.8, and finally raised to 3.0 on both ogpa, and sgpa(i know pretty horrible..).
My question is I found a master program, 1year non-thesis based (so lecture based+cumulative test by the end of the year). I know this is not SMP, but since it's similar idea, taking grad level courses , do you think doing well on this, will increase my chance of getting in to dental school??
Not as much as real SMP

Whole point of an SMP is to take classes with meds/dents to prove you should be among them, if you aren't take classes with them then its not really an SMP

thanks robflanker. So If i do the masters, would be just like an EC?

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks robflanker. So If i do the masters, would be just like an EC?
No, not really

You have done excellent work to get a 3.8 cGPA for 3 years (how many credits?) - you need an SMP, a legit one.
Don't throw away all your hard work to go to a program that isnt the right fit, that might not help your app as much as an SMP would, and after the masters you might still have to do an SMP if you want to go to a US med school.
The SMP allows you to prove 'hey i can hang with the med/dent students' - that is a huge selling point.

I see. Thanks robflanker. I have 71 semester units in the for the past 2.5 years, one term of not taking class and another one having lower than 12 units, I probably will apply for SMP next year, since I still have more classes to take for second bachelors (biotech, human genetics, recomb dna, parasitology and others more).