PreDents.com: New Feature

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I thought it was pretty funny, maybe a bit mean. I didnt mean to burst his bubble but you know, I had to lol.

--

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Great idea but there is so much that counts as an EC it would be hard to catagorize them. Maybe a combo drop down list with common EC's (like you mentioned) AND a free form box.

Also, I have decided to program a reminder to every user that logs on that important info is missing. It will be displayed in bright, bold red at the top so you can't miss it. It will be anoying(maybe a flashing text which runs shivers down my back when I see it on other websites), so to get rid of it, you only need to fill out the data that I feel is neccessary. Those things that will be listed as, "incomplete" are:

1) DAT (AA, TS, PAT only)
2) GPA (reg and sci)
3) AADSAS submit date

With in place, I will feel better about booting someone with a bunch of zeros in the important data fields.

What do you think?

I like this idea. However, what about those of us who haven't submitted their AADSAS yet? I'm not applying til next cycle... and I don't want to see flashing text until then :oops:

Great idea but there is so much that counts as an EC it would be hard to catagorize them. Maybe a combo drop down list with common EC's (like you mentioned) AND a free form box.

Also, I have decided to program a reminder to every user that logs on that important info is missing. It will be displayed in bright, bold red at the top so you can't miss it. It will be anoying(maybe a flashing text which runs shivers down my back when I see it on other websites), so to get rid of it, you only need to fill out the data that I feel is neccessary. Those things that will be listed as, "incomplete" are:

1) DAT (AA, TS, PAT only)
2) GPA (reg and sci)
3) AADSAS submit date

With in place, I will feel better about booting someone with a bunch of zeros in the important data fields.

What do you think?

I like the EC's idea, but the whole blinking message thing, I'm not so sure about...what about people like me? I'm in the same boat as Neuro--I'm not applying until next cycle, so I haven't taken the DAT yet, which is why I don't have any scores posted. I have everything else (including ECs) filled out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like the EC's idea, but the whole blinking message thing, I'm not so sure about...what about people like me? I'm in the same boat as Neuro--I'm not applying until next cycle, so I haven't taken the DAT yet, which is why I don't have any scores posted. I have everything else (including ECs) filled out.

I forgot to mention one little part of that. The alerts don't go up until like mid-Aug of the cycle (or any other date thats appropiate). Plus, I was kidding about the blinking text. (You have no idea how I hate blinking text....beyond words!!)

Also, I don't think people should make accounts until they are actually in the cycle. If you are a freshman and plan to go to DS, I don't see the need to make an account just yet. Just be a viewer until you get into the mix.

thanks for the database. i love the site to compare my stats with others, but what's the point when everything is bs?

i agree with the poster who said you should have to log in and fill mandatory spots that are important to the statistics of the school (DAT--all the dat for that matter- whats the point of posting only your best?, GPA, and schools applied/interviewed'accepted) As for the age, school attended, etc. could be voluntary- to protect their identity. Arent we all just interested in how our scores compare to those with acceptances?

thanks for the database. i love the site to compare my stats with others, but what's the point when everything is bs?

i agree with the poster who said you should have to log in and fill mandatory spots that are important to the statistics of the school (DAT--all the dat for that matter- whats the point of posting only your best?, GPA, and schools applied/interviewed'accepted) As for the age, school attended, etc. could be voluntary- to protect their identity. Arent we all just interested in how our scores compare to those with acceptances?

I agree, but some people havn't taken their DAT yet, or havn't submitted their ap to AADSAS yet, or their grades havn't been adjusted by AADSAS yet. I have to think of all posibilities before I do something drastic like banning users or deleting their accounts. I don't want to be the PreDents.com Nazi!!

just do it man. kick out all the bogus stats. its your site. regulate. if i had any time and any idea how to run a website, i would make double verification, email confirmation, blood tests to keep it accurate. like i said before, what's the point of this if they are junk stats

if they dont fill in ALL their stats then dont count them? I dont understand why people would put in fake stats then put in real information that could expose them... shouldnt it be the other way around? seeing some stupid thing like puting your age as 777 discredits everything right away.

As for the age, school attended, etc. could be voluntary- to protect their identity. Arent we all just interested in how our scores compare to those with acceptances?

School could be important. A 3.7 from one university may not mean the same thing as a 3.7 from another university. This has been argued before, but reality is that some people find it important.

School could be important. A 3.7 from one university may not mean the same thing as a 3.7 from another university. This has been argued before, but reality is that some people find it important.

this would definitely make the secret identities quiver. especially if they were at a small school AND in the predental club. im sure i would be able to identify a majority of the people from miami u.

How many undergraduate colleges and universities are there in the US? What about abroad? What percentage of them are you familiar with? You've probably never heard of a majority of them. The school does not matter.

Alright it's time to buckle down people. Send in your official transcripts and fax your score reports to Dizzle, so we could have some kind quality control :) :)

hahahahhah nice

How many undergraduate colleges and universities are there in the US? What about abroad? What percentage of them are you familiar with? You've probably never heard of a majority of them. The school does not matter.

The school does matter. Look up Predents ID "Brown10", look at her stats and her interviews, they don't fit their "criteria"

The school does matter. Look up Predents ID "Brown10", look at her stats and her interviews, they don't fit their "criteria"

So, one person. Plus you don't know his/her situation. Someone who went to an ivy or "Top 25" university should not get lower scores because they think their school name will make up for it.

Edit:
Plus Brown10 hasn't gotten any acceptances yet. Search predents and you will find other people with similar stats, lots of rejections, a few interviews, and no acceptances. Nothing special here. It's not like he/she was automatically accepted into Harvard, UConn, Penn, and others is it?

Members don't see this ad :)
just do it man. kick out all the bogus stats. its your site. regulate. if i had any time and any idea how to run a website, i would make double verification, email confirmation, blood tests to keep it accurate. like i said before, what's the point of this if they are junk stats

if they dont fill in ALL their stats then dont count them? I dont understand why people would put in fake stats then put in real information that could expose them... shouldnt it be the other way around? seeing some stupid thing like puting your age as 777 discredits everything right away.

I do want to clean house, thats why I spent 7 hours straight, progamming the flag system. BTW, if you see someone who's 777 years old, flag their #$s!

But as I stated above, I can't just go in there and ban everyone. Most of the flags I've received today (about 35 or so) I set to "Warning" with an automated email telling them to fill in more data. If they get flagged again a few weeks later, they are gone. I want to make the data accurate but also be fair about it.

Lastly, yes it is my website, but it's made for you guys. I'm in DS already. Your opinions are what drives most of my decisions...although I do reserve awesome veto power!! :)

Not to hate on Canada, but can you make a 'US School GPA' and an 'International GPA' field? ADCOM's do not view them the same way, and it skews the results.

Blame Canada

Not to hate on Canada, but can you make a 'US School GPA' and an 'International GPA' field? ADCOM's do not view them the same way, and it skews the results.

Well, when they choose what state they are from and pick, "International", that pretty much means their GPA is an international one.

As far as splitting up the data on the School page, that would be a mess. It's already a butt load of numbers. To double it would make it even worse.

i think you should bar canadians from using predents

A clarification that I think would help the site would be to change "ADDSAS submit date" to "ADDSAS finished/mailed" or something similar. I (and plenty of other people, I'm sure) submitted more than a month before my application was actually considered complete, what with the GPA verification and letters of recommendation and such. You should also consider when the schools actually start evaluating the candidates, since most schools don't look at profiles online, and it took another few weeks for the ADEA to mail my application out.

A clarification that I think would help the site would be to change "ADDSAS submit date" to "ADDSAS finished/mailed" or something similar. I (and plenty of other people, I'm sure) submitted more than a month before my application was actually considered complete, what with the GPA verification and letters of recommendation and such. You should also consider when the schools actually start evaluating the candidates, since most schools don't look at profiles online, and it took another few weeks for the ADEA to mail my application out.

I second this. Also, once someone makes their PreDents profile can they later update it to include the AADSAS submission/finish date? I only ask because a TON of people don't include it in their PreDents, and IMHO it's one of the most important factors. If people can't edit their AADSAS finish date then that would be a good feature to have in the future.

BTW I love PreDents, PDizzle! Thanks for making it and keeping it running!

I second this. Also, once someone makes their PreDents profile can they later update it to include the AADSAS submission/finish date? I only ask because a TON of people don't include it in their PreDents, and IMHO it's one of the most important factors. If people can't edit their AADSAS finish date then that would be a good feature to have in the future.

BTW I love PreDents, PDizzle! Thanks for making it and keeping it running!

They can easily edit that info on the update page.

It's been a long time since I applied but do you know if your AADSAS app was mailed? Do they tell you that? If that is the case, then I will not change the name but rather add another date, because the actually submission date is important too. I'd probably have an ADDASA submitted date and an AADSAS completed/mailed date.

In addition, I have decided to to declaire certain fields as "critical". If left blank, a notice would be displayed constantly reminding you to fill them in. After a certain time in the cycle(prob about AUG), if critical fields are not filled in, your account will not show up on the school page. This is not done to be mean, its to only show users that significantly add to the website. A little less data but more pure and accurate.

The critical fields are few:
1) GPA (both sci and reg)
2) DAT (all fields but AA, TS and PAT are especially critical)
3) AADSAS submit/finish/emailed dates
4) State res

If you are not willing to enter this info, then I suggest not even making an account.

A new field will be "planned DAT date", to indicate when you are going to take the DAT. If your DAT numbers are blank after this date, your app wont show up.

Lastly, I'm going to make a small communication thread for each user where registered users can leave comments/questions to the account holder. This has been requested many, many times.

Features:
1) All comments must be approved by the account user before they are displayed
2) Email notification will be made to user when a comment has been made
3) The option of disabling this wil be available although the default will be, "on"
4) User can directly repply to individual comments/questions or post general comments themselves
5) Comments can be flagged for vulgarity, even if approved by the user

These are the things I'm considering to do.

Any feedback is welcomed

Discuss......

Dizzz...out!

Last edited:

How are they viewed differently?