Predents.com: Still use it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How about a scatterplot with gpa's on the y axis and DAT scores on the x axis. Green dots or squares (data points) can indicate accepted and red dots can mean rejected. Blue means waitlisted.
scattergram.jpg

I'll start throwing money at my screen.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I can definitely donate! I used it a lot before submitting the AADSAS in June, and I enjoyed it.

I think you should set up a donation link because this site helped me judge where i should apply!!! and i can definitely donate!

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you also make it only possible for people with ".edu" email addresses be able to make an account and post the scores? This might discourage intentionally repeated false input of data.

Could you also make it only possible for people with ".edu" email addresses be able to make an account and post the scores? This might discourage intentionally repeated false input of data.

I second this, its an excellent idea.

seconded

I miss using the site and like others was looking forward to using it this cycle! before it went down I used it a lot to help me narrow down my list of schools, which in turn saved me from sending out application fees to schools to which I didn't rank up next to the other applicants/attending students. It helped me make make more realistic choices and I would gladly donate some of the money i saved to the site that helped me to save it.

my apps are out the door and especially liked looking at the previous years' data as well as users' comments on individual schools, i.e. how they liked the campus, how the interview went, etc. so please keep those features! and i like the ideas of wiki-style editing and .edu addresses also. it worked for facebook! :)

thanks for what you've already done to help so many students and i look forward to the new site and donating. would be great to get a mailing list going or something so we can all know when it's up!

Dave

but what if someone has graduated 2 years ago and is planning on applying to dental school? In this case I think it's possible that said person would not have a ".edu" email address.

I think restricting membership in such a way would not be a good idea. There could be too many legit users excluded by this requirement and predents works best with more data points, even if there are a few bogus ones.

I'd definitely donate like 5-10 dollars or so, its a great site and has been very helpful

1. YES
2. YES

I miss you predents!

Predents was great last year when I was applying and I still find myself checking it to see what next years class will be like!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't donate money - sincerely wish I could. Loved the site and hope you are able to get it running again. :love:

Wish you gave us a heads up about shutting down. I would have printed out every page...

any idea when it will be up...it will definitely help to retain our sanity.

In the meantime PDizzle you should set up a paypal or Google checkout or something where people can donate. Hopefully when you go back in August you'd have some odd balance to put towards the server. It's a handy website to glance at.

I'll donate too! need this back up asap!

please bring it back :(
i would totally consider donations.

OK, I got almost 100% positive feedback with most of you saying you can contribute so I will start the process to get it back up and going. It will take a little initial dough to start it back up and some time because I am just swamped right now!

About the site being a pay-for-service, I agree with Lemon, that would be a bad idea. Even charging 50 cents or something small like that would drop the number of contributors significantly, which in turn drops the legitimacy of the site, which in turns drops the subscription rate, which.....you get the idea.

I don't feel right about asking for donations until the site is up, so the initial investment will just be a risk.

I'll keep you all posted on the progress. I'd say by mid August at the latest.

In the mean time, since I'm gonna do this again, now is a good time to talk about any additions to the website you all might want.

Some things in the past that I have suggested that a lot of people liked was:
1) Internal PM system in PreDents.com for limited conversation.
2) Information updated by users to ensure accurate data. Kind of like WikiPedia does it.
3) With expressed permission from SDN, interview feedback data base with associated graphs and charts listing all kinds of things about the schools. If SDN would allow this, I think it would ROCK!! (reason for permission is that I am a partner of SDN and they have a similar feature)

classic over promise under deliver

I am willing to donate too :) eventhought i won't apply till next cycle

use it, and will use it.

I'm a pre-dent student and it's an easy way to look up for dental schools with some general quick info.
It's really a helpful website and glad to find this thread on sdn! :love::love:

I'm in the process of starting a Predental website which will have some overlap with predents.com. So, it will have a statistic sharing platform but with some additions such as GPA graphs, and internal PM capabilities and other ideas that I have and read from around the forum.

But aside from that I want to make this website a lot bigger and contain EVERYTHING a US/Canadian dental school applicant may need.....DAT info, application info, AADSAS info, school info, interivew info and many other aspects. Of course this is not an overnight project and will take a lot of time, effort and money.

Using the website will of course be free.

In order to get started I launched a indiegogo.com compaign. indiegogo.com is sort of like kickstarter which can be used in Canada. People on the website browse campaigns and donate to ones they like. Anyway, if any of you are interested in donating here is the link. Any donations will really help.

http://www.indiegogo.com/PreDentalWorld

Also, if you have some website design skills and are interested in the project PM me.

Last edited:
I'm in the process of starting a Predental website which will have some overlap with predents.com. So, it will have a statistic sharing platform but with some additions such as GPA graphs, and internal PM capabilities and other ideas that I have and read from around the forum.

But aside from that I want to make this website a lot bigger and contain EVERYTHING a US/Canadian dental school applicant may need.....DAT info, application info, AADSAS info, school info, interivew info and many other aspects. Of course this is not an overnight project and will take a lot of time, effort and money.

Using the website will of course be free.

In order to get started I launched a startsomegood.com compaign. Startsomegood is sort of like kickstarter which can be used in Canada. People on the website browse campaigns and donate to ones they like. Anyway, if any of you are interested in donating here is the link. Any donations will really help.

http://startsomegood.com/venture/pre...uture_dentists

Also, if you have some website design skills and are interested in the project PM me.

Your link just takes me to the generic website, I can't see your project or any details about what you're trying to accomplish with that link.

As much as I admire your ambitious plans, I have to ask: do you have programming experience? Building a website with the scope and high level of interactivity that you are proposing takes more than simple forms and html. If you do, more power to you! If you don't, best to start looking for someone who's got the expertise to set the project in motion. Building a website is easier said than done.

As much as I admire your ambitious plans, I have to ask: do you have programming experience? Building a website with the scope and high level of interactivity that you are proposing takes more than simple forms and html. If you do, more power to you! If you don't, best to start looking for someone who's got the expertise to set the project in motion. Building a website is easier said than done.

I do have website and programming experience. However, this website will take a lot of work so I want to have some help in the website building department.

I do have website and programming experience. However, this website will take a lot of work so I want to have some help in the website building department.

Best of luck to you, keep up posted! I'd offer to lend a hand, but knowledge from the couple programming classes I took in undergrad has since been replaced by orgo rxns, random taxonomy, and other factoids I'll surely forget in two years.

ps. nice fish tank in your video... fresh or salt?

Best of luck to you, keep up posted! I'd offer to lend a hand, but knowledge from the couple programming classes I took in undergrad has since been replaced by orgo rxns, random taxonomy, and other factoids I'll surely forget in two years.

ps. nice fish tank in your video... fresh or salt?

Haha. It's fresh. I have two other fresh ones but I want to get a salt one. Maybe in dental school.

It would be a heck of a lot safer if you gave up your six pack.

LOL this is funny. My current spendings are $80 a month. Includes everything to maintain my life... yes $80, in a MAIN CITY.

I think I am the epitome of resourcefulness, either that or I just love to be cheap.

LOL this is funny. My current spendings are $80 a month. Includes everything to maintain my life... yes $80, in a MAIN CITY.

I think I am the epitome of resourcefulness, either that or I just love to be cheap.

What?! what about living expenses, rent, phone bills, internet bills. I'd like to see a breakdown before I believe this.

predents was such a useful resource for me when getting in. You guys need to get it back up and running!!

I think a site subscription fee may narrow your data set of DAT & GPA scores. I wouldn't want to pay $5 to view & report my scores especially once I have already gained admission.

Lots of sites operate on donations and revenue from ads. I'd love to see the site back up and wouldn't mind paying $5 but I don't think you would have the same data set as you did before so the site would really not be the same as before. Why not have a system like SDN where donations get you perks?

Hope that helps

I'm happy to announce that SDN has licensed MDApplicants software to implement a new predents.com style system. The programming team is currently working on updating the scripts for the dental community and it will be available very soon!

I'm happy to announce that SDN has licensed MDApplicants software to implement a new predents.com style system. The programming team is currently working on updating the scripts for the dental community and it will be available very soon!

Wooo!

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays!!

Thank u dental angels!

Sweet!

We are working on creating the new site based on MDApplicants and have a quick question:

Is there an analog to an MD/PhD or DO/PhD for DDS/DMD that should be included, or is this such an unusual case that it is not worth including?

We are working on creating the new site based on MDApplicants and have a quick question:

Is there an analog to an MD/PhD or DO/PhD for DDS/DMD that should be included, or is this such an unusual case that it is not worth including?

It exists. DDS and DMD are synonymous. DDS/PhD or DMD/PhD.

would like to preface this with the fact that i have applied and been accepted to multiple dds/phd programs:

while it does exist, it is nothing like the MD/PhD. i'm not sure if it's worth including, since just about every single school that offers it has a different application process. it is absolutely not streamlined and i do not think it would be effective to have it implemented in the site. for example: some schools accept you simultaneously to DDS/PhD, some accept to DDS and then PhD or vice versa, some accept to DDS and then not PhD until 1 or 2 years later. that and there are only a handful of people (i'm thinking 2 or 3) on SDN that are vocal about this type of program.. this is in line with what I've heard from program directors, that the few available spots of these types of programs are not filled each year.

feel free to add it, but as someone who dabbles in programming, it seems like it would be a complete nightmare to implement this in an effective way when the application process itself is terribly disorganized and not very popular.