Predicament on when I should apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prehealthstudent69

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I'm currently a senior planning on applying next year. My current GPA isn't that great (3.05) but I am hoping to get at least a 3.7 and above for this semester and next. I do not have much shadowing experience, but I am going to be doing that next semester and also in the summer. Do you guys think it's better to apply early (around may - june) with a few months of shadowing experience, or at the end of summer (august) with the experience I gain during that time?

Members don't see this ad.

Okay so I'm currently a senior planning on applying next year. My current GPA isn't that great (3.05) but I am hoping to get at least a 3.7 and above for this semester and next. I do not have much shadowing experience, but I am going to be doing that next semester and also in the summer. Do you guys think it's better to apply early (around may - june) with a few months of shadowing experience, or at the end of summer (august) with the experience I gain during that time?
You don't have 4hrs/week to shadow for the next 6 months?

Regardless, you need around 100+ hours of shadowing before you submit your AADSAS to be considered competitive for most schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
After shadowing, you could well decide dentistry is for the birds.

What I did not know this... this is a requirement?

At some schools it's recommended, I think most schools require 40 hours. I shadowed 2nd semester senior year, applied the summer after (July) without further shadowing experience. You should be fine because interviews don't usually come around until october anyways. I think as long as you've shadowed enough to pull from the experience, you should be fine. If the doc and patients lets you, try chair assisting a little too.

Have you taken the DAT's yet?

At some schools it's recommended, I think most schools require 40 hours. I shadowed 2nd semester senior year, applied the summer after (July) without further shadowing experience. You should be fine because interviews don't usually come around until october anyways. I think as long as you've shadowed enough to pull from the experience, you should be fine. If the doc and patients lets you, try chair assisting a little too.

Have you taken the DAT's yet?
Nope I am planning on studying for the next few months and take it sometime in April

I'd say let your DAT results make your decision then. If they go well, apply, if not, take time to retake then apply.

The DAT's will play a much larger role in your application than shadowing time.