Predicting the pharmacy future

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heyyyyy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys(current pharmacy students) expect those current high salaries when you graduate? because lately i have not seen any articles about the pharmacy shortage and the high pharmacy salaries.

Members don't see this ad.

There will probably still be a shortfall in the number of pharmacists despite the increasing number of pharmacy programs. I'm not sure if the output from those programs will match both the number of pharmacists leaving the profession to retire, and the number of job openings expected to be able to meet the needs of the baby-boomer population.

As far as those news stories are concerned, part of why you're not hearing it right now is because it's not "graduation season" yet...you usually hear about the "hot jobs" either in May-June, or when the employment/unemployment numbers make headlines. Heck, I haven't even been hearing about the nursing shortage as of late, even though we know it exists.

If you want to look at some data regarding the shortage (at least in chain drug stores), you can check out the July 2003 NACDS survey results: http://www.nacdsfoundation.org/NACDSfoundation/2003/survey_results.pdf

High salaries? I sure hope so, and have no reason to believe it won't remain high, or go higher for the forseable future (next decade, or so).