Predicting Unfilled Programs 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GooglieGoo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody else have some predictions for what programs will go unfilled in this year's match? Anyplace you saw that just did not live up to its old expectations, or places that you consistently heard bashed?

I'll add one: University of Washington. Discussion: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=341124&page=4

Members don't see this ad.

i highly doubt the categorical positions for UW will not fill. They only have 26 positions for that track (vs. 10 each for seattle boise and primary care track), which is much smaller than other comparable institutions. It's hard to imagine that an IM program just outside the top 5 in a desireable location will not fill those 26 positions. I agree with most interviewees that they could have done a better job of selling themselves during interview day, but in the end, UW is still a top notch academic institution that does its job in producing extremely well-trained internists. It may not be the most progressive of residency programs, but they still are in full compliance with the ACGME/RRC per my PD.

its very difficult to predict what program will go unfill every year. if you take a look at the unfilled list from past year you wont see a trend.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is like playing craps. I mean, how many of the well-known programs go unfilled each year? Maybe one? Does anybody know about the total number of US seniors applying to IM this year?

Re: UW - I ran into a few students from UW during my interview day, and it seemed like some were likely to rank UW #1 or at least very highly. Maybe they'll loose a few from outside the area due to their poor "marketing" but it seems like there's still a group of students who likely the UW style.

Chicago schools - I'm wondering about UofChicago and Northwestern. I know many people who got interviews at places considered more selective yet were shut out of these two Chicago programs. From what I can tell UofC has always been great, but Northwestern really seems to be considered a rising star and perhaps the most competitive Chicago program now. I'm wondering if they're getting too picky, and since they both are now very highly regarded by applicants I'm wondering if they're running out of enough good applicants who want to live in Chicago. Specifically, with the increasing appeal of Northwestern, I wonder if this will draw applicants that have traditionally gone to UofC, leaving the UofC with too few people who meet their traditionally high standards. Now, if both are smart and interview lots of people and rank almost all of them, I suppose if my theory is correct they'll simply end up going lower on their rank order list than usual. Of course, this is just based on my observation of the number of people that I know who got the shaft from both Chicago programs. But if we're playing this game of craps, my money is one the University of Chicago. The odds on this must be like 100:1, so the payoff should be great.

St.Vincent's-Manhattan had 4 unfilled spots last year after the match....that was surprising.....they had to go to their 95th spot to get their first match....

St.Vincent's-Manhattan had 4 unfilled spots last year after the match....that was surprising.....they had to go to their 95th spot to get their first match....

wow, 95th spot!!! that's deep into a ROL.

there is no way that uw is not going to fill. it's a top 10 program in a great place to live.

when i interviewd at UofC, one of the PD's stated that they take great care to select interviewees who somehow distinguish themselves without necessarily getting outstanding numbers or honors in medicine- could be one of many reasons otherwise highly competitive applicants didn't get interviews there

University of Colorado IM program had 2 unfilled spots last year!!

that was a surprise to a lot of people!!

I was also surprised to see that the University of Rochester had unfilled spots last year. Though it isn't a top tier program, I interviewed there and thought the program was solid, with good fellowship placement.

scrasnird -
Thanks for the insightful comments about U of R! I fell a little bit in love with the program and its leadership when I visited and am glad to read your explanation for the unfilled spots.

it is true that u of rochester had some unfilled spots last year.

however, as a current u of r student I can shed some light onto why this happened.

last year there was an unprecedented number of highly qualified UofR students who went to top tier medicine programs like Penn and Brigham, UW, Columbia, Cornell, and Stanford.

historically, several of rochester's medicine spots are expected to be filled by UofR students and this did not happen as usual.

the program director is awesome here at rochester and he is one of the longest-standing devoted PDs in the country...very involved in national leadership of graduate medical education.

it is expected that several of our best students (AOA, published, high boards scores, honors in medicine) will be staying in Rochester this year secondary to personal reasons or because they are planning on fast-tracking to Rochester fellowships.

Rochester will NOT go unfilled this year in the Match...I can just about guarantee it.

For myself, I am not looking to stay in rochester because of personal reasons not related to the program and I am looking to UCSF, BWH, MGH, NW, Uof C BIDMC or Penn (haven't decided the order yet).

If you are interested in an outstanding (albeit less well-known) IM program with a very dedicated program director and established GME curriculum...Rochester is a great place to be...especially since you can have a great quality of life (like buying a house) without a problem.

I can offer any assistance to U of R to those who are interested.

SOUNDS LIKE A REALLY GREAT ADVERTISEMENT FOR THE PROGRAM

i highly doubt the categorical positions for UW will not fill. They only have 26 positions for that track (vs. 10 each for seattle boise and primary care track), which is much smaller than other comparable institutions. It's hard to imagine that an IM program just outside the top 5 in a desireable location will not fill those 26 positions. I agree with most interviewees that they could have done a better job of selling themselves during interview day, but in the end, UW is still a top notch academic institution that does its job in producing extremely well-trained internists. It may not be the most progressive of residency programs, but they still are in full compliance with the ACGME/RRC per my PD.

Really? I thought they did a great job on the "sell". The tour was excellent, nice hospital facillities, if you wanted to hang around for rounds that was OK.

Are you sure you're talking about the same UW (Seattle) as the rest of us???? What did they do that actually impressed you?

Believe it or not, I'm not that picky, but I do want a few things from a program:

1. I want to interview with people who've actually read my file and know something about me.
neither interviewer knew anything about me
2. I would prefer to interview with at least one person who had an interest or two that parallels mine.
nothing in common at all, not a specialty, not a hobby, nothing
3. I would like to have at least 30 minutes per interview not counting travel time, 45 would be ideal, 60 is about the upper limit
I think I had about 30 minutes for each, but one interview spent at least 10 of those minutes reading my file in front of me….way to make it clear you have no clue who I am!! At least the other person admitted that she knew nothing about me and we went from there. And when I asked questions about the program, neither knew anything. This is fine, as long as I get to speak with program leadership, which didn't happen unfortunately.
4. I would like the chance to speak with the program director
The large Q&A session was OK I suppose, but I think it would have worked better at the end of the day when I knew more about the program. I think it’s highly questionable that the chair only talked about stepping down when asked, which didn’t happen each week
5. I want to see the Chair of Medicine, and preferably hear him/her speak
No idea who the Chair is at UW, never saw him/her. Not a huge deal, except when the PD is stepping down I wonder if the Chair will be more important
6. I would like to see/hear from the associate program directors, especially if my faculty interviewers aren’t intimately familiar with how the program runs
I think one of the speakers at the AM session was an APD, and she did answer questions, but I never got to speak with her one on one, which is important since neither faculty member seemed to know jack about the program.
7. I need to be able to speak with the current residents without faculty around (at dinner the night before is a great time for this)
I never got significant time with residents when there wasn’t faculty around except during the van tour
8. I need to be able to speak with the current interns without faculty alone (at dinner the night before is a great time for this)
I never got significant time with interns when there wasn’t faculty around
9. Depending on the sites, I want to see each clinical site, including work rooms, patient rooms, nursing stations, call rooms, and cafeteria
I never saw UWMC, and I felt like our tour of Harborview missed a few key parts
10. I want to see a team actually round with an attending
Never saw a team anywhere.
11. I want to see a standard, every day morning report or common conference
saw a morning report at the VA, which was great but dominanted by residents over interns
12. I want to be fed at least once on interview day, preferably with a few options
They had run out of most of the food items by the time my group went through the food line, so I was left eating bits of a salad, croutons, and I had to steal a fork that was being used to serve food to eat with. And the dinner the night before was pretty minimal as well. You can def. tell this is a financially tight university program
13. I want the chance to see interns/residents/faculty again at the end of the day to ask any last minute questions
I got to talk with the resident on the van tour, and I think before I left the secretary was around, does that count?
14. I want to hear about opportunities for residents to do research during residency
I think this sort of happened during the first session with the PD.

So, how did UW score? Maybe 1-2 out of 14. Like I said, UW is a great program that's being strangled by its administration. Hopefully they'll get a decent PD soon. With a new PD, more commitment to ACGME guidelines, and some support from the University, I think UW could be a top 5 program again. But for its clearly not even top 20 in my book.