Predmed friends: why not dentistry?

Started by moto_za
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
im sure we all find dentistry very respectable- I know I do. But, in terms of job prestige, I'm not sure I'd find it quite as high as an MD's or a DO's. Please don't flame me here. I hardly know anything about dentistry, but I sincerely doubt they make the same sacrifices, or that their program is as intense.
Again, I might just be completely misinformed. Anyone else feel the same?

I'm heading to dental school and I agree with some of your statements. The public doesn't think the DDS = MD. It doesn't bother me.

I'm not going to dental school to become a physician, I am though going to become a doctor. My clinical applications will be limited to diagnosis and treatment of the mouth and that is ok with me. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "You won't be a real doctor." I won't be a physician. I will be a doctor, just like a vet, Ph.D., and new pharm grads.

You shouldn't go do dental school as some easy way to be called Dr. You'd be a tool and regret your decision and probably hate your life.

As far as level of intensity? Some programs I can 100% argue that they are MORE rigurous than medical school. They take all the same classes at med students first 2 years and THEN the dental courses as well. But, no residency required in most states. Then there are some dental schools that walks in the park compared to some medical schools.

Best of luck to the op though in making your decision. They are honestly very different careers though in different environments, different stressors, different pay, different types of patients, different staff, different coworkers..... The only thing that's the same is you're treating a patient and attempting to solve the issues at hand.
 
ok.. so i was talking with a doctor who is a good friend of mine and he challenged me in every way and in some way confused and encouraged me towards dentistry. this is not the first time, every time i talk with this person he confuses me and makes me uncertain. don't get me wrong i have over four years of clinical and research experience.. but he told me to consider the pros and cons. i am a junior and just registered to take the mcat and here i am like a confused freshman please help! i have minimum dental experience and don't mind it but then again i know i will regret medical school if i go to dent.

sorry for the long post
your friend,
moto😎

some people have other motivations aside from easy money
 
"then again i know i will regret medical school if i go to dent."

Yeah, dentistry is an amazing profession, but if you know you will have regrets, I wouldn't even think about going the dentistry route. You said it yourself, you will regret not going to medical school.. and who wants to have a life full of regrets???????
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry, but if you doing medicine for the prestige and respect you aren't going to be a very good doctor.
if you're going into medicine to help people, you're not going to be a good doctor. if you're going into medicine to make money, you're not going to be a good doctor. blah blah blah blah. Nice crystal ball ya got there. 🙄

Oh good. Enjoy the rectal exams!
I missed the part where Eileron said s/he was going into rectology. could you direct me that way?
 
wow, interesting article. and on average, aren't dental schools much easier to get into?
 
It's a matter of preference. It's no different than choosing between brunette, blonde, redhead, or bald. We just like what we like.
 
yeah, much better lifestyle. Thats another part of it. I think by junior year, some of the kids think they may have found the person they want to marry, and then begin thinking about actually having a family life in the near future. (This is what ive heard from a couple of students).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I missed the part where Eileron said s/he was going into rectology. could you direct me that way?

Don't fool yourself. If you want to be an MD you'll be doing at least a few rectal exams as students. Not that that's a bad thing. There's other stuff that interns find "worse". Medicine isn't all flowers. I just hope you premeds know what you're getting into.
 
Don't fool yourself. If you want to be an MD you'll be doing at least a few rectal exams as students. Not that that's a bad thing. There's other stuff that interns find "worse". Medicine isn't all flowers. I just hope you premeds know what you're getting into.
I'm not pre-med, and "doing a few rectal exams" (something the overly defensive dental crew has mentioned before in response to "I wouldn't want to work in someone's mouth all day") is hardly the core of anyone's day.
 
Why do we always have to justify our career choices to strangers on SDN?