Prefer a DO LOR really that important? URGENT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Metamorphosis.DO

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So looking at my list, three of my schools say they strongly recommend a DO write my letter. I personally have a stronger relationship with an MD who is writing a letter now. I could ask a DO I know for one and I am sure he would be glad to but I feel that it may not be AS strong as the MD.

Should this be as much of a concern as I am thinking? Should I just as for the LOR from the DO before its too late?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied without any DO letter, just one from MD and did just fine.

If applications are equal the one with the DO letter may edge you out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Should be fine as long as you don’t apply to the few that require it (don’t recall which). If you’re that worried and haven’t reached the maximum amount of LOR’s, you could always request for both.

So looking at my list, three of my schools say they strongly recommend a DO write my letter. I personally have a stronger relationship with an MD who is writing a letter now. I could ask a DO I know for one and I am sure he would be glad to but I feel that it may not be AS strong as the MD.

Should this be as much of a concern as I am thinking? Should I just as for the LOR from the DO before its too late?
Well, how do you interpret strongly recommend?????

Reactions: 1 users
Well, how do you interpret strongly recommend?????

Personally, I've always felt recommend was a more friendly way to say 'mandatory if you're serious about it' when it comes to medical schools. Although perhaps my opinion is more on the heavy handed side of things.

I applied to multiple DO school without a DO LOR and barely any DO exposure, I got interviews at most of the places i applied. A DO letter could help you but it won’t tank you if you have an otherwise well rounded good application.

Reactions: 1 user
Brownie points for having one but not essential. A couple of interviewers did point out having a letter from a DO.