Pregnancy and the eyes.

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J.opt

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A friend and I were talking about optometry and she told me that she had heard about someone who went to the optometrist, and the optometrist told her that she was pregnant. I laughed at my friend, but then told her that I didn't really know.

Are you able to detect pregnancy through an eye exam?

Members don't see this ad.

Although I do not know the mechanism behind this (yet), my optometrist told me a similar story once. Apparently something in the eye does change during pregnancy and it is visible to an optometrist. Cool, huh?

okay, I'm graduating in seven days and never heard that anything STRUCTURALLY changes in the eye. BUT.. you can have a change in Rx while pregnant. usually, many doctors will wait until after the patient has completed her pregnancy and/or breastfeeding before prescribing a new rx, as it (the rx) can fluctuate during that time.

So, I don't think we could diagnose pregnancy, per say. But, if someone has an unexplained change in rx and is of childbearing age... pregnancy is on the differential list (along with diabetes and a number of other things)..

Members don't see this ad :)
cpw said:
okay, I'm graduating in seven days and never heard that anything STRUCTURALLY changes in the eye. BUT.. you can have a change in Rx while pregnant. usually, many doctors will wait until after the patient has completed her pregnancy and/or breastfeeding before prescribing a new rx, as it (the rx) can fluctuate during that time.

So, I don't think we could diagnose pregnancy, per say. But, if someone has an unexplained change in rx and is of childbearing age... pregnancy is on the differential list (along with diabetes and a number of other things)..
Maybe the doctor noticed an unusually pronounced bulk on the lady’s abdomen? ;)

I felt so foolish, but I asked a panel of 6 optometrists (both young and old), and they all laughed at me :-( , as did all the other students in the club meeting.

One did share his experience: A 16 year old girl patient claimed that her sight was blurry, that she had headaches, naussia, and was taking some pills. Well, he knew that those specific pills supposedly make you break out while youre pregnant, so by looking at her acne......thats how he was able to tell. What sucked was...her mom was in the room...heh.

Not related to the eyes, but funny opt. story.