Pregnancy and working in Chain pharmacy

Started by cefzil
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cefzil

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

I just got my license as pharmacist and I am working in this chain from last 2 months as pharmacist. I used to work as intern pharmacist in this chain until last year.
Now I just found out that I am pregnant.
I want to know when should i tell my pdm about my pregnancy?
Do you think so once i told them about my preganacy , it will be different than if I don't tell them for some time.
I feel that right now, it's so hard to find even job if you get laid off from your work.
I am floater pharmacist and our stores open for 12 hours. It's very hard for me to stand for 12 hours now because of my pregnancy.
I feel so much fatigue and tired. I just want to tell them that I can not work in 12 hours shift because of my pregnancy , do you think so they will give me hard time.
Any input of other people in this situations will help me a lot.
Also how was the experience working as pharmacist when u are floater pharmacist and pregnanat?

Thanks a lot
 
Hey guys,

I just got my license as pharmacist and I am working in this chain from last 2 months as pharmacist. I used to work as intern pharmacist in this chain until last year.
Now I just found out that I am pregnant.
I want to know when should i tell my pdm about my pregnancy?
Do you think so once i told them about my preganacy , it will be different than if I don't tell them for some time.
I feel that right now, it's so hard to find even job if you get laid off from your work.
I am floater pharmacist and our stores open for 12 hours. It's very hard for me to stand for 12 hours now because of my pregnancy.
I feel so much fatigue and tired. I just want to tell them that I can not work in 12 hours shift because of my pregnancy , do you think so they will give me hard time.
Any input of other people in this situations will help me a lot.
Also how was the experience working as pharmacist when u are floater pharmacist and pregnanat?

Thanks a lot


Disclosure is always the best policy. There should be no reason you can't sit while "practicing". A pharmacist I worked with who was prego was allowed to have a chair.
 
First off, Congratulations.
I sent you a very lengthy PM on this subject, wanted to emphasize:

The first order of the day would be to read through your employee manual and make sure you know the time frames of when you are able to take leave. How long, what duration you will be paid (if at all,) and look into the state that you live in to see what your Family Leave/ Maternity Leave benefits are. They are all different.

And you absolutely cannot be directly *fired* for this. That would so-ohohoh be illegal, so you can rest assured that won't be happening. If anything, I suspect your managers will be very happy for you!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's been a couple weeks since your post so you've probably decided whether to tell your manager. I wasn't working in a pharmacy, but when I was pregnant, I did decide to wait until the end of the first trimester to disclose to my employer for a lot of reasons, one being that miscarriages are very common during the first weeks of pregnancy. Also just to put off the inevitable jokes, advice, prying, etc. Six months of all that is plenty. 😉

I also felt VERY fatigued and nauseated during the first 3 months but felt much better during the remainder of my pregnancy. You may feel better able to work after the initial period. Good luck and congratulations! Motherhood is a wonderful thing.
 
It's been a couple weeks since your post so you've probably decided whether to tell your manager. I wasn't working in a pharmacy, but when I was pregnant, I did decide to wait until the end of the first trimester to disclose to my employer for a lot of reasons, one being that miscarriages are very common during the first weeks of pregnancy. Also just to put off the inevitable jokes, advice, prying, etc. Six months of all that is plenty. 😉

I also felt VERY fatigued and nauseated during the first 3 months but felt much better during the remainder of my pregnancy. You may feel better able to work after the initial period. Good luck and congratulations! Motherhood is a wonderful thing.


This is a very very good advise she is giving you. You don't want to sound like you are complaining, especially so early on ..9 months is long..then you might get them thinking. I am 6 month preggo and still on my feet 13 hrs shift..don't bring up the pregnancy as a reason not to make long shift..so early on. Remember that they have seen women getting thru this long before you. Get a stool at work, do some streching when u can..the fatigue should go away after a while:xf:..and come back during your last trimester😀

Good luck and congrat..!!!
 
Hi,

Thanks for your inputs.
I haven't told my managers yet.
I just finished my first trimester and i feel good as i don't suffer from that much morning sickness. But I still feel fatigued a lot.
I will tell my employer in couple of weeks to reduce my hours as 12 and 1/2 hrs shift + drive time is too much for me.

thanks
 
Congratulations on the pregnancy!

Yes, you should disclose your pregnancy and you will get support from your coworkers.

You should be able to have a chair to sit on while working.

Hi,

Thanks for your inputs.
I haven't told my managers yet.
I just finished my first trimester and i feel good as i don't suffer from that much morning sickness. But I still feel fatigued a lot.
I will tell my employer in couple of weeks to reduce my hours as 12 and 1/2 hrs shift + drive time is too much for me.

thanks