Pregnant while taking pre req's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Belle Melodie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out i am pregnant. I already have a 2 year old.

My worries lie in the fact that i should be due in the beginning of March.

I just graduated from a CC, i've been on this academic "high" for the last few semesters and i am really motivated.

I do not want to take the Spring '13 semester off, I feel like it could either make me or break me. I could always learn material on my own but im really going to miss school if i do that and just feel like i am off track somehow... Which goes back to the statement in bold...

Has this happened to anyone out there? If so what have you done?

Of course at the end of the day i will do what i think is best for me but i'd really like to hear some one else's experience.

thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

How was your pregnancy last time?

I know a woman who went to class until labor actually started, then hurried to the hospital, then back to class as soon as she was off bed-rest.

Other women have to take days or weeks off because of pain and nausea.

Can you work through everything or do you need time off?

How was your pregnancy last time?

I know a woman who went to class until labor actually started, then hurried to the hospital, then back to class as soon as she was off bed-rest.

Other women have to take days or weeks off because of pain and nausea.

Can you work through everything or do you need time off?

the 2nd and 3rd month i had nausea and quit my job until it was over.

after the nausea i found a job and worked right up to the week i gave birth. I took a month off and went back to work.

My situation now is a bit better since i am with the soon to be father and i live across the street from my dad and his wife ( who have helped me a lot).

I can probably have the baby and go right to school in 2 days but im worried about the midnight/early morning feedings that will make me super tired/lazy/procrastinator.

One option was to register for all evening classes that way i can get some rest before class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Getting through the last of undergrad with a couple of little ones is quite doable. But medical school is another story. It requires endless amounts of time, energy, money, etc. Weeks at a time during which you might see the children for only an hour before bedtime, if that. Should you meet with success in getting an acceptance, do you have someone available willing to relocate with you and to provide full-time childcare for your two children?

Getting through the last of undergrad with a couple of little ones is quite doable. But medical school is another story. It requires endless amounts of time, energy, money, etc. Weeks at a time during which you might see the children for only an hour before bedtime, if that. Should you meet with success in getting an acceptance, do you have someone available willing to relocate with you and to provide full-time childcare for your two children?

You know i never thought about that. When i apply i plan on applying broadly in the northeastern region. Close to home but not close enough. My mother may be able to stay with me if it need be. Other than that i don't really think there is anyone else. Definitely something to plan on.

I am about to finish my undergrad degree and am applying to med school this cycle. I have 3 boys ages 3,2, and 1. I took 1 semester off for the birth of each of them and then continued with school. It is entirely possible you just have to have determination and function well with little sleep and lots of coffee (lol)

Just something to think about....I have family all over the country and every school I am applying to (22) is near family that has already stated that they will be part of my support system.

I read somewhere that you're not supposed to take organic chemistry lab while pregnant, since you'll be playing with potentially harmful chemicals. If you're better about wearing gloves than I am you'll probably be all right, but it's one more thing to consider.

I am about to finish my undergrad degree and am applying to med school this cycle. I have 3 boys ages 3,2, and 1. I took 1 semester off for the birth of each of them and then continued with school. It is entirely possible you just have to have determination and function well with little sleep and lots of coffee (lol)

Just something to think about....I have family all over the country and every school I am applying to (22) is near family that has already stated that they will be part of my support system.

Thank you for your reply. You are very fortunate to have family just about everywhere!! 3,2 & 1 wow that must be a bit challenging.

I read somewhere that you're not supposed to take organic chemistry lab while pregnant, since you'll be playing with potentially harmful chemicals. If you're better about wearing gloves than I am you'll probably be all right, but it's one more thing to consider.

Thank you for this i had not thought about that and will keep it in mind. :thumbup:

Abortion. Unless you're against that. Then, I'm sorry I suggested it.

One of my good buddies in undergrad started school with a 1 year old and found out that she was pregnant again just before her freshman year. She had her second baby on a Thursday and came back to class on Tuesday. She did this with little help at home. She also had hyperemasis gravidarum. She is now a doctor. It can be done, you just have to be persistent and keep it up.

You may want to be cautious during organic if you're still pregnant or nursing.

One of my good buddies in undergrad started school with a 1 year old and found out that she was pregnant again just before her freshman year. She had her second baby on a Thursday and came back to class on Tuesday. She did this with little help at home. She also had hyperemasis gravidarum. She is now a doctor. It can be done, you just have to be persistent and keep it up.

You may want to be cautious during organic if you're still pregnant or nursing.

Thank you this is very helpful and gives me hope that i can get through this. I believe the hardest part is being pregnant i can deal with the aftermath.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just take the semester off. It's not going to kill you. Take an online GE or elective or something if you're that desperate. You're making a bigger deal out of a semester than you should.

I have a 7 month old. I am applying this year. I have been taking prereqs since last year (started while I was still in law school). I got pregnant towards the end of the spring semester last year. It was rough (nausea every day, weird pains that I didn't have my first pregnancy, etc.) but I made it through. I didn't take off a semester after he was born (12/14). I took one online class and A&P I. And my husband left me when my son was a month old. I have a big family though so I have more help than I need.

Also, I asked my doctor about taking Orgo while nursing (which is what I'm doing now) and he said only 1% or less of the harmful stuff will be transferred to the baby, which was still upsetting for me. But then I get to class and my professor is pregnant! She does everything that we do with the chemicals if not more. So, I'm sorry the post is so long but I hope it helps :)

Just take the semester off. It's not going to kill you. Take an online GE or elective or something if you're that desperate. You're making a bigger deal out of a semester than you should.

You know...YOUR particular comment wasn't even needed. Unless you will be helpful...don't spit garbage put of your mouth. Thank you.

I have a 7 month old. I am applying this year. I have been taking prereqs since last year (started while I was still in law school). I got pregnant towards the end of the spring semester last year. It was rough (nausea every day, weird pains that I didn't have my first pregnancy, etc.) but I made it through. I didn't take off a semester after he was born (12/14). I took one online class and A&P I. And my husband left me when my son was a month old. I have a big family though so I have more help than I need.

Also, I asked my doctor about taking Orgo while nursing (which is what I'm doing now) and he said only 1% or less of the harmful stuff will be transferred to the baby, which was still upsetting for me. But then I get to class and my professor is pregnant! She does everything that we do with the chemicals if not more. So, I'm sorry the post is so long but I hope it helps :)

Wow im sorry about your husband. You really are a strong woman. Thank you for your post it was very helpful.

You know...YOUR particular comment wasn't even needed. Unless you will be helpful...don't spit garbage put of your mouth. Thank you.
Don't spit garbage put of your mouth? What? English?

And I am helpful. I'm telling you to stop making a big deal out of a semester, but go ahead and gamble it. It's better for the competition if you totally bomb it.

C'mon guys... play nice. I do agree that taking a light semester with online classes might be the way to go. Why put yourself through the stress of of difficult classes while you have hormones raging. Take it easy as far as school goes if at all possible. Of course you know yourself better than any of us do though. My wife is a chef and was in culinary school until the day she popped (twins). Not necessarily the way to go but she is extremely stubborn... err... confident in her ability.

Thank you for your reply. You are very fortunate to have family just about everywhere!! 3,2 & 1 wow that must be a bit challenging.

Sometimes it is, I have had to get really good at time management to do well. I actually think it is easier to be a student while they are young. I have been in school their whole lives so my having to study is nothing new to them and they have already learned to entertain themselves (if I have to study wile they are awake) without a problem. We have a strict routine and everything seems to work out well. (that is one thing that we have that my non-student mom friends don't necessarily have....a solid schedule)

I would also suggest taking a light load the semester the baby is due. Dependent on your financial aid requirements and need to graduate, 6-12 hours. You can make up the hours in the summer later if necessary.

Don't spit garbage put of your mouth? What? English?

And I am helpful. I'm telling you to stop making a big deal out of a semester, but go ahead and gamble it. It's better for the competition if you totally bomb it.

I made a spelling error i meant *out*. My english is perfect so do not even try it.

Telling someone not to make a big deal out of something is not being helpful. This is a big deal for me, its a whole new life.

Trust me my motivation is strong enough to endure the competition and i'd be so happy to send you a thank you card once I make it.

Care to give me your postal address? :laugh:

C'mon guys... play nice. I do agree that taking a light semester with online classes might be the way to go. Why put yourself through the stress of of difficult classes while you have hormones raging. Take it easy as far as school goes if at all possible. Of course you know yourself better than any of us do though. My wife is a chef and was in culinary school until the day she popped (twins). Not necessarily the way to go but she is extremely stubborn... err... confident in her ability.

Thank you. As i probably stated previously, i think i may just take some afternoon/evening classes that way waking up every 2 hours won't be such a problem for me (as opposed to taking a 9am class). Your wife is a trooper!!

With my first i wasn't in school but i worked up until week 39. I was due the next week and he came early with my water breaking. Luckily i decided not to work that morning.

I would also suggest taking a light load the semester the baby is due. Dependent on your financial aid requirements and need to graduate, 6-12 hours. You can make up the hours in the summer later if necessary.

Thanks! I just graduated from a CC so i have 2 more years to graduate. taking a light load seems fair.. does 12 credits seem light? or more like 9/8?

I am 7 months pregnant right now and I have a two year old also. I am taking 9 credits this summer semester. My plan for fall semester 2012 is Orgo I and an online class. I plan to take about a week off from class during which I will have given birth and then use my 3 month maternity leave for childcare and the rest of the semester. It will be difficult and I understand it may not work (especially depending on the delivery and the baby), but we will see, I am definitely going to attempt it. I am close to the end of my pre-reqs (have ochem I and II), so at this point, I just want to get it done and be able to apply for 2014.

My doc already said ochem is fine while pregnant and although I am a little hesitant to run into a class with a big belly, I will just get over it and give it my best shot bc I also do not want to waste a semester (especially with a sequence class like ochem I).

I say go for it as long as you can. Be wary of drop dates so the class doesn't show on your transcript, be prepared as much as possible and understand that it may fail, but if there's no permanent damage, no harm done, right?

I want to echo that you really shouldn't take OChem while pregnant, especially if you have a couple years of school left, as you mentioned, where you can spread things out. Even if you are very careful, you never know what hazardous gases and stuff your classmates may accidentally cook up and remove from the fume hood.
Maybe gen chem should be avoided, too, and possibly bio, depending on your curriculum (like, doing stuff with plants and sequencing their DNA? fine. bacteria? no thanks). And definitely don't take microbiology, if you were planning on that - there was a woman in my microbio class who was pregnant, and almost every single lab the instructor would pull her aside and say, "Well... just watch for this one. Don't touch anything."
Basically, this is a good time for physics, math, and English, if you still need them! Or just lecture classes for the other subjects, minus the labs. If you're not applying for another couple of years, you may be taking the new MCAT, in which case you might as well take some psych classes or something, too.

::bump::

Im bumping because i am now in the middle of the fall semester and NOT doing so good in my Gen Bio II class. My first exam was like a 58 and my next exam is on Thursday which i am NOT ready for.

Couldn't drop the class due to financial aid reasons. I am currently 6 months pregnant and it is not easy at all but im still studying and trying to do my best due to the circumstances.

How bad is it if i get below a C in this course right now?? Im a biology major so i will be taking much more biology courses. Can this be overlooked by admins? Can it be justified due to my situation? Or will this really screw me up for med school?

BTW-- I got an A in my Bio I class.

Is it possible to recover from this?

Thanks!

I don't understand at all. You're a nontrad and have it hard as it is, why would you make it even harder for yourself by getting pregnant? Are you deluding yourself or do you just want to fail?

Anyways, YES IT IS POSSIBLE to get into med school while pregnant, but why in would you?

All the best to you and your future kid. If I had a gf and she were pregnant at that stage, I would not mind since I am a man and won't carry the child with all the side effects to my body. But if my gf was striving to become a doctor and was studying hard, I would suggest her to abort the baby, because it might cause her dream to not come true.

Anyways, congratulations are in order? Congratz! Sorry that I'm being a jerk, but it just boggles my mind.

I don't understand at all. You're a nontrad and have it hard as it is, why would you make it even harder for yourself by getting pregnant? Are you deluding yourself or do you just want to fail?

Anyways, YES IT IS POSSIBLE to get into med school while pregnant, but why in would you?

All the best to you and your future kid. If I had a gf and she were pregnant at that stage, I would not mind since I am a man and won't carry the child with all the side effects to my body. But if my gf was striving to become a doctor and was studying hard, I would suggest her to abort the baby, because it might cause her dream to not come true.

Anyways, congratulations are in order? Congratz! Sorry that I'm being a jerk, but it just boggles my mind.
Maybe, in the future, if you recognize you are being a jerk, you shouldn't post anything? Something to try in the future, and you won't look like quite so much of a d***.

Im bumping because i am now in the middle of the fall semester and NOT doing so good in my Gen Bio II class. My first exam was like a 58 and my next exam is on Thursday which i am NOT ready for.

Couldn't drop the class due to financial aid reasons. I am currently 6 months pregnant and it is not easy at all but im still studying and trying to do my best due to the circumstances.

How bad is it if i get below a C in this course right now?? Im a biology major so i will be taking much more biology courses. Can this be overlooked by admins? Can it be justified due to my situation? Or will this really screw me up for med school?

Thanks!

Yes, it is possible to recover, but a sub C grade on a pre req means you will need to retake anyway, so drop if at all possible, or convert to pass/fail if possible, etc. try to keep the low grade off your transcript if you can. Also, if you are struggling this semester, you should strongly consider sitting out next semester, since I am sure at that stage in your pregnancy, and the process of giving birth, will make it even harder on you. Sitting out will be better for your med school chances than a poor semester. Hope you have better luck with the rest of your classes :luck:

Are you seriously trying to say anyone who is pregnant/ has children can't make it through med school? Fail post. Just total fail.

OP- It is definitely going to hurt, without knowing total stats can't really say how much. Have you spoken with the teacher? Do you know why you're struggling? Best of luck. I couldn't have done it, I ended up getting put on bed rest/ restricted activity for 5 months. It was hell! I had to drop all but one online class, it really sucked. Best of luck, stick through and give it your all, that's all you can do :)

Maybe, in the future, if you recognize you are being a jerk, you shouldn't post anything? Something to try in the future, and you won't look like quite so much of a d***.

+1 Couldn't have said it better myself. :p

I agree that, if at all possible, you should drop the course (unless doing so means you will receive an F) or convert to pass/fail. It's my understanding that med schools require a C or better in the prereqs.

By the way, congratulations on your second little one! :)

@ Ranninks...
Are you that ignorant? The woman is already 6 months pregnant so she cant abort but simply is looking for advice. If you have nothing nice to say...just dont say anything.

shushumiga, Docility, LaEsponja, theseeker4

Thank you for all of your positive feedback!

I will speak to my PreMed advisor to see if this P/NC option is what is best for me

May I ask how old are you? I am planning pregnancy and getting the pre-reqs and all the time worrying being mid-30s is too old.

shushumiga, Docility, LaEsponja, theseeker4

Thank you for all of your positive feedback!

I will speak to my PreMed advisor to see if this P/NC option is what is best for me

Dpotorreal,

Yes auditing the course is a good option, b/c you can go the classes and get what you can out of them, without worrying about a grade. In some respects, it's a better way to learn IMHO.

I hope the rest of your pregnancy and your delivery goes well. I have three kids, and my pov to some extent is wait and see. Some kids are easy going babies, and others aren't . No two are alike, that's for sure. The other thing is, it moves pretty quickly-- childhood, so enjoy as much of their childhood as you can. Seriously, drink it in, bc kids grow up even faster today, and it's lIke sometimes you can feel gipped out of parenthood and the childrens' stages of development. Cherish it while you can.

The best to you. :)

I did not realise you were 6 months pregnant, my apologies......

Anyways, as I literary said in my previous; it is possible.

Best of luck to you again! Forgive this fool for not reading the part where you were 6 months pregnant, because aborting the baby would be principially wrong then.

You can do this. I'm currently about to pop out my fourth. :)

You can do this. I'm currently about to pop out my fourth. :)

Literally about to? As in, you are having contractions as you respond to SDN posts? Or am I being too literal :p

Thanks!

I made a spelling error i meant *out*. My english is perfect so do not even try it.

Telling someone not to make a big deal out of something is not being helpful. This is a big deal for me, its a whole new life.

Trust me my motivation is strong enough to endure the competition and i'd be so happy to send you a thank you card once I make it.

Care to give me your postal address? :laugh:
Why am I such a petty man sometimes?

If only you had follow someone's advice to take the time off instead of making a big deal out of one semester.

Why am I such a petty man sometimes?

If only you had follow someone's advice to take the time off instead of making a big deal out of one semester.

Out of four classes im not doing well in ONE. And btw, the advice wanted was for Spring 2013 not fall 2012.

Get a life.

In my opinion, if you are absolutely sure you don't want to to take the semester, try to take some easy, online classes if possible. If i were you, I would take the semester off, if you are s trudging this semester (I'm just going to assume its because of the pregnancy and stress of being pregnant with a 2 yr old, and taking classes) feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about that. You have time with the baby and to recover and gives you time to get everything situated and a schedule going and then start up with a summer course. Taking one semester off to have a baby, won't kill you.

You will need to retake the biology course eventually.

Out of four classes im not doing well in ONE. And btw, the advice wanted was for Spring 2013 not fall 2012.

Get a life.
Imagine how much worse it'll be in Spring 2013 if you couldn't handle it when you thought you could.

In my opinion, if you are absolutely sure you don't want to to take the semester, try to take some easy, online classes if possible. If i were you, I would take the semester off, if you are s trudging this semester (I'm just going to assume its because of the pregnancy and stress of being pregnant with a 2 yr old, and taking classes) feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about that. You have time with the baby and to recover and gives you time to get everything situated and a schedule going and then start up with a summer course. Taking one semester off to have a baby, won't kill you.

You will need to retake the biology course eventually.

Next semester i will be taking

Cal I
Orgo I w/ Lab
Molecular Biology w/ Lab

I dont have an option to take online classes.
Im only really struggling with Bio II-- I dont think its so much because I am pregnant its MOSTLY because it is SO MUCH material--- there are other people in my class also struggling with the course and who have commented on the workload of the course with not enough time.

The pregnancy only plays a part in that i am ALWAYS hungry and instead of spending so much money at school (when i can be there studying) i just tend to go home where i can have a good meal and save some money.

Right now im taking
a computer course for pre calculus--- expecting an A
Precalculus-- expecting an A
Chemistry II with lab--- expecting a B or higher
and Bio II with lab

the only class im messing up on is the lecture for Bio II -- im getting 80's and 90's on the lab quizzes...

Im not sure how to tackle this class but im definitely going to have to take it over at some point.

I know taking a semester off wont kill me but I really cant afford to do so for other personal reasons.

Thank you for your input!!!!:thumbup: