1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

prelim in university hospital vs community hospitla

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by creek, Aug 9, 2011.

1. creek

5+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    For someone with a PhD, what kind of prelim program (university hospital vs community hos.) is easier to get? anyone has ideas? thanks!

#1 creek, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ambiturner

ambiturner ASA Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    University prelim programs are actually kind of difficult to get now because so many anesthesia/radiology programs are starting to eat up their spots with categorical programs - most university programs I looked at had between 2 and 5 spots and typically saved them for their own students. Community programs on the other hand can have 20 or 30 prelim spots a year so your odds are much better there.

I don't think being md/phd would make much difference as to which you do but it will likely make you more competitive overall.

4. creek

5+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Thanks Ambiturner! I'm applying anesthesia....having a PhD means much older than fresh graduate and limit my choices of program :mad: But good to know that I can still apply prelim in community programs.

Thanks again!