Prelim programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

salmonella

Gram-Negative Rods
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those who went through neuro match, how many prelim medicine programs did you apply to? How many did you interview at? Since prelims are so competitive, how many should I apply to ensure a match?
 
For those who went through neuro match, how many prelim medicine programs did you apply to? How many did you interview at? Since prelims are so competitive, how many should I apply to ensure a match?

Apply to as many prelim as neuro spots. It's tricky trying to gauge how many prelims to hit up.

Also rank prelim programs that you didn't necessarily match for in neuro. For example, after the match I got a letter from a program that informed me I would have matched for prelim there. I ASSUMED that if I didn't go there for Neuro that they wouldn't offer me a spot, which is not the case! Actually now that I think about it that's a moot point now that everything is regular match.

Basically my advice, go to at least the same amount of prelims as neuro and rank them all no matter what!