Prelim scramble last year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMbound08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone happen to have the list of prelim medicine programs that didn't fill last year? I'd appreciate your help in trying to figure out just how hard this would be. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you can find it in the 2008 NRMP Charting Outcomes in the Match.

I know a couple of people who went through it and it sounded brutal. Best of luck.

NOT a good idea. I know a guy who tried to scramble into a gas program....didnt work out and he had to do surgery for a year...its a bitch of a process

Members don't see this ad :)
NOT a good idea. I know a guy who tried to scramble into a gas program....didnt work out and he had to do surgery for a year...its a bitch of a process

I think the person who started this post was concerned more about scrambling into prelim medicine after matching anesthesiology advanced but NOT landing a TY or other prelim program.

I myself am concerned about the same issue. I have only 1 prelim program that I am ranking and I am ranking my anes advanced programs above my categorical ones. I always thought I could just scramble into prelim medicine if things don't work out, but maybe not...

A buddy of mine didn't match into ortho last year and I helped him during scramble day match into a prelim surgery spot. As you guys have said it was brutal. People just running all around, faxing things left and right and constant telephone calls. I don't remember the specifics but there seemed to be a good amount of prelim medicine spots left but they didn't seem very desireable. There were slots at some pretty well known academic places but I'm sure they work you pretty hard. If you are looking for a cush prelim spot or any TY the scramble definetly isn't the way to go. Good luck guys.