Prelim/TY Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xinlitik

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide whether to write a new PS for my prelim/TY application. This question has come up before and the consensus seems to lean toward just adding a little to the end of your PS, but my PS is really specific to the specialty. Wouldn't that come off as irritating to read for someone in an entirely different field? At the same time, I really dont know what I would write to fill up a few paragraphs about a prelim given that my research, activities, etc are all specialty oriented. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am trying to decide whether to write a new PS for my prelim/TY application. This question has come up before and the consensus seems to lean toward just adding a little to the end of your PS, but my PS is really specific to the specialty. Wouldn't that come off as irritating to read for someone in an entirely different field? At the same time, I really dont know what I would write to fill up a few paragraphs about a prelim given that my research, activities, etc are all specialty oriented. What do you think?

My personal statement has a section where I talk about the type of ophtho residency at which I hope to match. I edited this paragraph for my TY applications and instead talked about the type of TY program at which I hope to match. The rest of the personal statement is very specific to ophtho and I kept it the exact same for my TY application. I wouldn't sweat it. TY/prelim PDs know that you are applying to another speciality.