Prelim vs Research If You Don't Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

somethingsmart

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently an M4, getting ready to apply for derm. I don't want to apply to a backup field, and would be willing to try again if I fail to match this time around.

To that end, I'm wondering if I don't match in derm, would it be better to match into a prelim year and then try again, or to go unmatched entirely and do a research fellowship and then reapply to both prelim and derm programs?
 
I'm currently an M4, getting ready to apply for derm. I don't want to apply to a backup field, and would be willing to try again if I fail to match this time around.

To that end, I'm wondering if I don't match in derm, would it be better to match into a prelim year and then try again, or to go unmatched entirely and do a research fellowship and then reapply to both prelim and derm programs?

Do not go unmatched. Do a prelim and then do research. Most research requires a prelim year and a medical license anyway.