prelim year query??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vipassana

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear All,

I am new to this process and had a query about the prelim year necessary.
What faculties are we allowed as a prelim year, I know about prelimIM and prelimSurg.
But, can I join a categorical IM/ Peds/ FP and discontinue after a year and have it count towards the prelim year for 2006.
If I do not match for a prelim for 2005, and manage a categorical in other than anesthesia, I assume I will not be matched for a 2006 for anesthesia either.
I am still finiding my feet, please do advise!
Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't forget about Transitional years either! Yes, as far as I know you can do a year of peds, FP, categorical IM or surgery, etc. and still match into a CA-1 year. People do it all the time. Now entering a categorical program with the sole intent of leaving after a year is a different story, if you aren't up front with them. Some IM or FP programs that don't fill may be willing to take you on but I'd be careful.

Thanx a lot !!

What is more difficult to get into, prelim IM or categorical??
Cheers!

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you're gunning for big name IM programs, neither are very hard to get into. Go to scutwork.com and look at the unfilled programs last year, should give you some idea.

that answers my Q: can FP internships cout for prelim toward Gas?

my second Q: as a s/p Navy 3year GMO tour applicant with FP internship under the belt, what can I do to be more competitive?

thanks

Thanx a lot!!