Prelim Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newt23

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
With ERAS opening on the horizon, I wanted to get sense for how you guys are going to do prelim year matching.

Are you applying to 10 or so programs? Do most people wait to get invited for an interview before applying to a respective prelim program? When will you interview? If you have 15 ophtho interviews, then there isn't much time for additional interviewing during the end of this year.

Help me conceptualize the best way to manage this time!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you applying to 10 or so programs?

10-20 is reasonable

Do most people wait to get invited for an interview before applying to a respective prelim program?

No, a late application signals a lack of interest and reduces likelihood of getting an interview

When will you interview?

Prelim interviews are more flexible and can be done even after the sf match, january or february. Some may overlap with ophtho interviews, but this is rare.

If you have 15 ophtho interviews, then there isn't much time for additional interviewing during the end of this year.

Most ophtho interviews will be focused around end of november and early december. You can use the time early next year for prelim interviews.

Mixed my internship interviews in with my Ophthalmology interviews and knocked all my travelling out of the way before January, which I preferred.

Reactions: 1 user