Preliminary Score Report - PCAT ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

831Daniel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I just took the PCAT this morning, and I was wondering if the print out "preliminary score report" which is unofficial will be the same as what's on my official score report. Or does it change or something? I got my scores and was a little dumbfounded...

SS-PR
Verbal 478 - 99
Biology 429 - 87
Reading 437 - 92
Quant 498 - 99
Chem 472 -99
Composite 463 - 99

:idea::thumbup:

I just thought the numbers looked a little high and I was worried that my score might drop on the official report. Honestly, I almost clicked the "don't score this test" button at the end of the test because I knew that I totally bombed on biology. I haven't taken A&P yet, and I'm only a month into micro. Bio was way tough for me.

By the way, if anyone else took it this morning, I was in Milpitas, CA. Hope you did well!

Members don't see this ad.

My official scores were exactly the same as the prelim ones. I took the PCAT back in July.

Hey,
I just took the PCAT this morning, and I was wondering if the print out "preliminary score report" which is unofficial will be the same as what's on my official score report. Or does it change or something? I got my scores and was a little dumbfounded...

SS-PR
Verbal 478 - 99
Biology 429 - 87
Reading 437 - 92
Quant 498 - 99
Chem 472 -99
Composite 463 - 99

I just thought the numbers looked a little high and I was worried that my score might drop on the official report. Honestly, I almost clicked the "don't score this test" button at the end of the test because I knew that I totally bombed on biology. I haven't taken A&P yet, and I'm only a month into micro. Bio was way tough for me.

By the way, if anyone else took it this morning, I was in Milpitas, CA. Hope you did well!

That is quite impressive. Good job. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
your score is very good, good luck
was it ur first time
can u tell us how did u study for it and what prep books did use? and for how long
what strategy did u use when took the pcat? did u try to answer all the questions or u spent more time on questions u knew ? did u guess at the end due to time or u had more time to go back and review flagged questions
Also ur verbal ability and reading scores are very good, how did u prep for them
i took the pcat for the first time in sept21 and i didnt do good and i may have to take it again
i agree with u the biology was difficult and for me it was not similar to the one on pearson practice exams
i would really appreciate it if u give me some tips

Hey,

SS-PR
Verbal 478 - 99
Biology 429 - 87
Reading 437 - 92
Quant 498 - 99
Chem 472 -99
Composite 463 - 99

your score is very good, good luck:thumbup:
was it ur first time
can u tell us how did u study for it and what prep books did use? and for how long
what strategy did u use when took the pcat? did u try to answer all the questions or u spent more time on questions u knew ? did u guess at the end due to time or u had more time to go back and review flagged questions
Also ur verbal ability and reading scores are very good, how did u prep for them
i took the pcat for the first time in sept21 and i didnt do good and i may have to take it again
i agree with u the biology was difficult and for me it was not similar to the one on pearson practice exams
i would really appreciate it if u give me some tips

was it ur first time
can u tell us how did u study for it and what prep books did use?

Well, the first thing I did is I used the word "your" instead of ur, and "you" instead of "u". This may seem trivial, but I think a lot of what helped me prepare for the test was simply life experience - reading a lot and writing a lot. Always attempting to live my life intelligently, and not just for the sake of performing well on tests. I don't think this should be underestimated. But, of course, that is something that comes with time, and I think you want the quick fix.

I posted in the other thread (the 99%ile club) my study tips, so you can find what I did there:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=754083

My total study time was probably somewhere from 50-100 hours. I got my BS about ten years ago, so most of it wasn't fresh in my mind. However, I'm also enrolled in stats and microbio this semester, so there were a few things that were fresh in my mind from those classes.

I have no idea how you would study for the verbal section. I think you just need to read a lot of books and listen to things like NPR and lecturers and stuff to hear people use big words. Look up words you don't understand and in about ten years, you'll have a voluminous vocabulary.

I finished every section in time and answered every question the first time through. I flagged a few questions per section to review, and usually I went back and reviewed them, though I often didn't change it from my initial answer. For math and writing, I had to move fast, and hustled through a few questions where I would've rather ruminated a bit more. If time is an issue, you may want to take up meditation or something to help with concentration, maybe some Ginko, or find out what diet will keep your mind focused for four hours straight. I think much of the test is simply a person's ability to concentrate without interruption for four hours.

Anyway, hope some of that helps.

- Daniel

If time is an issue, you may want to take up meditation or something to help with concentration, maybe some Ginko, or find out what diet will keep your mind focused for four hours straight. I think much of the test is simply a person's ability to concentrate without interruption for four hours.

Anyway, hope some of that helps.

- Daniel

I think this is a subtle but important point. After RC, two writing essays, Chemistry, etc., it's easy to get bogged down toward the end of the test, especially in QA, which is the last section. I knocked back a 5-hour energy drink before the test, though I wouldn't recommend that if you're not used to it.

It's kind of like a marathon. You need to build up some endurance in order to stay mentally alert throughout the test. Some people can get by without any preparation, but most require a concerted effort in order to build up that stamina. Either way, it's certainly something to keep in mind when preparing for the exam.

I think this is a subtle but important point. After RC, two writing essays, Chemistry, etc., it's easy to get bogged down toward the end of the test, especially in QA, which is the last section. I knocked back a 5-hour energy drink before the test, though I wouldn't recommend that if you're not used to it.

It's kind of like a marathon. You need to build up some endurance in order to stay mentally alert throughout the test. Some people can get by without any preparation, but most require a concerted effort in order to build up that stamina. Either way, it's certainly something to keep in mind when preparing for the exam.

Haha, I did the same thing. My test was at 8AM and I was NOT used to getting up so early for a test. So I woke up around 6 AM, went to McDonald's for breakfast, drinking 2 cups of coffee AND a full Monster before the test.

It was the only way I could stay alert. I was kinda jittery, though...

I just received my PCAT scores and I'm scared because I don't know what this means. Please someone help.

SS-PR
Verbal Ability 374-12
Biology 378-13
Reading Comp. 367-7
Quantative Ability 374-7
Chemistry 352-1
Composite 369-3

I don't feel like they are good grades :(

I just received my PCAT scores and I'm scared because I don't know what this means. Please someone help.

SS-PR
Verbal Ability 374-12
Biology 378-13
Reading Comp. 367-7
Quantative Ability 374-7
Chemistry 352-1
Composite 369-3

I don't feel like they are good grades :(

...you trolling!

You should retake your PCAT. If you have trouble studying for PCAT, you are always welcome to ask for advice here.

As a follow up, I just took the GRE (because I'm thinking of going for a DPT now, instead of PharmD). So, for reference, this is what I got on the GRE (in case anyone has taken the GRE and wondering how they might do on the PCAT)
I got
verbal 166 (97th percentile)
math 170 (99th percentile)

Definitely the GRE has harder vocabulary. The reading comprehension is similar, though not as much scientific text and more social science, and literary stuff. The math, I thought was a bit trickier on the GRE, in that some of the questions are just really weird and nothing you'd ever have to calculate in real life. Whereas the PCAT was a bit more straightforward in math, but includes some more advanced concepts (calculus).

- Daniel

Only 100 hours? whatttt... that like less than three consecutive weeks of full eight hours of study a day!!
So did you pray a lot before you take it? did you attend mass and did your confession? come on, now!!
I hope my PCAT exam online is not like my MCAT experience, full of incomprehension and time a wasting yet somehow I did near average!

Only 100 hours? whatttt... that like less than three consecutive weeks of full eight hours of study a day!!
So did you pray a lot before you take it? did you attend mass and did your confession? come on, now!!
I hope my PCAT exam online is not like my MCAT experience, full of incomprehension and time a wasting yet somehow I did near average!

I'm not quite sure what you're saying, of if you're being facetious. But, I'll play along and answer the questions.

1. 100 hours of study specifically for the PCAT - of course, that doesn't include four years of college to get a BS in Chem, and all the life experience since then, etc. But, 50-100 hours of taking practice PCATs and reading the Kaplan study guide, etc.

2. No, I don't pray.

3. No, I've only been to mass once in my life, and I don't have anything in particular to confess right now.

4. Yes, I hope you do well. Good luck!

:( i m from asia , i m new in united states, i m having hard time in verbal and reading section can u please tell me how to prepare for this 2 section. i m good in bio, chem and maths. i m going to give pcat june 2012 so i have 6 month to prepare. i have special kaplan classes books to prepare but i don't understand where to start reading and verbal section. right now i m doing 5 new word everyday. plz. i really need ur advise.

I didn't do well on the reading section, so I cannot give you any advice on it. As for verbal, you can try memorizing 50+ words a day. Make sentences and analogies with the new words you have memorized. If you are pressed for time, get a pcat review package for the verbal part. Many of my friends who score much higher than me on the verbal section uses Dr.Collin's pcat.

:( i m from asia , i m new in united states, i m having hard time in verbal and reading section can u please tell me how to prepare for this 2 section. i m good in bio, chem and maths. i m going to give pcat june 2012 so i have 6 month to prepare. i have special kaplan classes books to prepare but i don't understand where to start reading and verbal section. right now i m doing 5 new word everyday. plz. i really need ur advise.

English isn't my first language either but I recommend using Dr Collins for the verbal section.. it helped me a lot!!! Otherwise memorize some GRE words but concentrate more on chem, bio and math :) no comments regarding the reading section ha:laugh:

Hey,

SS-PR
Verbal 478 - 99
Biology 429 - 87
Reading 437 - 92
Quant 498 - 99
Chem 472 -99
Composite 463 - 99

Get outta here u smart murtha trucker. Good job. I wish i had those scores but then again i got in my first choice.

Hey,

SS-PR
Verbal 478 - 99
Biology 429 - 87
Reading 437 - 92
Quant 498 - 99
Chem 472 -99
Composite 463 - 99

My score did not change at all. I scored a 74% and I got accepted to my top choice school. (A pretty competitive program I might add). I don't think the higher the preliminary score the more it will change. Keep in mind your score is in reference to the "norm group" and not your peers on that day.

I did Kaplan and was pleased and I think is safer than going full blown Dr. Collins. I do notice that while as not as reputable, people who do go Collins tend to get better returns on investment. But if I had to do it again I'd for sure go with Kaplan.