Preliminary Year Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brainy_

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi friends,

I am in need of some advice. I'm applying for neurology programs right now and I've gotten a good handful of interviews for both categorical and advance programs. Unfortunately I don't have any preliminary invites (my school program even screened me out). I'm thinking it's because I failed one of my courses and had to remediate. I applied to about 25 prelims in September and got scared and applied to about 10 more early November.

A little bit about me. Last quartile from a DO school, failed nervous 2 (lol) and remediated, 230/227 step 1/2, 45X/48X COMLEX 1/2. Other red flags I guess is I never honored a clerkship, but I passed all of them.

I am very happy with the categorical interviews I've gotten, but I really like two of the advance programs I interviewed at and can see myself going there. Is there no hope? Is there anything I can do? If I rank my advance without a prelim, is it feasible to soap into a prelim? What happens if I don't soap into one?

With no preliminary interviews, do you guys have any advice? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Do those advanced programs have any separate prelim programs? If so, you can email them and see if you can interview for the prelim positions. Worst case scenario, you can soap into a prelim surgery position.

Do those advanced programs have any separate prelim programs? If so, you can email them and see if you can interview for the prelim positions. Worst case scenario, you can soap into a prelim surgery position.
Not for neurology. It requires a minimum of 6 months of IM. So it's pretty much just prelim IM or a select few TY programs. Prelim surg is not an option.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What do med schools send to residency programs on your behalf? Are the specific grades you received in each class listed, or just that you "passed" the didactic years? What about class ranking? I don't attend a P/F school; curious as to what the schools actually share with programs as part of the application.

Hi friends,

I am in need of some advice. I'm applying for neurology programs right now and I've gotten a good handful of interviews for both categorical and advance programs. Unfortunately I don't have any preliminary invites (my school program even screened me out). I'm thinking it's because I failed one of my courses and had to remediate. I applied to about 25 prelims in September and got scared and applied to about 10 more early November.

A little bit about me. Last quartile from a DO school, failed nervous 2 (lol) and remediated, 230/227 step 1/2, 45X/48X COMLEX 1/2. Other red flags I guess is I never honored a clerkship, but I passed all of them.

I am very happy with the categorical interviews I've gotten, but I really like two of the advance programs I interviewed at and can see myself going there. Is there no hope? Is there anything I can do? If I rank my advance without a prelim, is it feasible to soap into a prelim? What happens if I don't soap into one?

With no preliminary interviews, do you guys have any advice? Thanks!

It's kinda competitive for prelim IM spot during SOAP as a lot of high-quality IMGs who failed for match awaiting that moment. However, if you have secured an advanced position, program directors would LOVE to give the opportunities to you (as you have proven your capacity).

It's feasible, I have a friend who was in the same boat and successfully got into a program which rejected him initially.

What you can do now is call the ones which you received neurology IV and talk to their IM PC/PDs.