Prelims and 80 hours--lies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ryanbeckworth

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's well-known that most places have prelims in their categorical medicine program tend to work them more than their 3-year people knowing that they're leaving for other things in a year anyway. In addition, I'd be concerned about going to a place where they do not have a night float in place, as there is really no way that you can be working reasonable hours when you're Q4 with 30-hour shifts twice a week. Unless you don't work on your 6th day of the week (day 7 mandated off by the RRC), you're going to be busting your a** beyond the "acceptable limits."

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by ryanbeckworth
It's well-known that most places have prelims in their categorical medicine program tend to work them more than their 3-year people knowing that they're leaving for other things in a year anyway. In addition, I'd be concerned about going to a place where they do not have a night float in place, as there is really no way that you can be working reasonable hours when you're Q4 with 30-hour shifts twice a week. Unless you don't work on your 6th day of the week (day 7 mandated off by the RRC), you're going to be busting your a** beyond the "acceptable limits."

Some places even have q3 overnight call in the ICU's. Those that do accomadate the RRC rules either by having 2 week shifts in the ICU, allowing for 80 hr averages to occur, or have the intern stay home every other day that he or she isn't on call or post-call. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Most places don't seem to treat prelim IM people differently then their categorical IM people, and most IM programs are pretty good about keeping the 80 hr work week.

i'm a TY at Maryland General Hospital in baltimore. i highly recommend looking here. pretty cush program. PD totally adheres to the 80 hour week. 7 months of q4 and 5 months call-free. can do 2 elective months anywhere. i'm doing mine at emory and getting paid for it:) crappy salary, but all meals are included. they also give you a nice sony palm. we are treated very well here and i would definitely come here again IF i had to go through all this cr@p again.:laugh:

2 more months and i'm in atlanta baby!!!!!!!!:clap:

Originally posted by Olanzapine
Most places don't seem to treat prelim IM people differently then their categorical IM people, and most IM programs are pretty good about keeping the 80 hr work week.

My prelim program last year screwed us with 2 1/2 months of day float (vs 1 month for the categoricals).

I am currently a Prelim-Medicine Intern at Univ. Tenn @ Memphis going into radiology, and would have to say that the PD here strongly supports the 80 hour work week. It's a big and busy University program, but the prelims and categorical interns work approximately the same. The main difference that eventually evens out, is that the prelims get more electives, but we also get more ICU call.

I hope that the threat of RRC intervention against programs that work people beyond 80 hours/week will be enough to convince them not to practice this form of abuse.