Premed Advice

Started by Charlie11
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Charlie11

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
About a year ago I decided to change my career path. Long story short, I lost a family member due to cancer and has greatly impacted my outlook on everything. I am an URM and the first to attend college in my family. I would greatly appreciate any advice on how I could improve my chances of getting into medical school. I'm currently a senior majoring in anthropology/biology/chemistry. I started taking prerequisites last year and aced both bio and gen chem classes and raised my 3.1 gpa to a 3.5. I will be taking orgo, physics, and human genetics this semester.

As for extracurricular activities... I was captain of a competitive dance team from 2011-2013. I was in my school's cheerleading team my freshman year ( I didn't really like it much so I stopped). I did two paid summer internships for a building management company. I was an alumni leader for my high school's retreat(spiritual). When the semester starts, I will be volunteering in the emergency department and assisting in research with my professor on genetics. Is there anything else I should be doing?