premed advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

captaindargo

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently graduated for college. I wasn't premed in college. My GPA was not the best in school it was a 2.5. I just decide that i want to go to med school. I have only take Gen Chem 1. and i have been looking at DO schools as well as MD schools. does it matter if i take some of my premed class in the summer. I also just start an EMT-I program to get exposure to the medical field.

What's the best course of action for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Shouldn't be a problem to take courses in the summer, even pre-reqs. You can also take some at a CC, but be sure you do well in them & you'll still have to take upper-division classes at a 4-year university.

If there is anything you did poorly in the first time that you can re-take, do it. On the DO application only your most recent grade for a course that you have re-taken will be computed into your GPA. This is not the case for the MD application, though.

Nothing wrong with taking summer classes, BUT keep in mind they move MUCH faster than regular semester courses so be prepared to work and learn quickly. Don't get behind because that could be death to your GPA.

I took a bunch of summer classes and realy liked it. My profs seemed more relaxed in the summer so it was more fun,.

Good luck on your journey!!!