Premed advisors who are not very supportive

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lexswift

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it still a good idea to get a committee letter from a premed advisor who is less than enthusiastic about your chances at medical school? I do not have a MCAT score yet but GPA wise I am below the median.

It is possible her opinion may change after the MCAT but if it does not should I still get a letter? Wouldn't a premed advisor's opinion affect the committee letter? I am confused how this works. I do think my individual professor letters would be good.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it still a good idea to get a committee letter from a premed advisor who is less than enthusiastic about your chances at medical school? I do not have a MCAT score yet but GPA wise I am below the median.

It is possible her opinion may change after the MCAT but if it does not should I still get a letter? Wouldn't a premed advisor's opinion affect the committee letter? I am confused how this works. I do think my individual professor letters would be good.

Perhaps, but if your GPA is significantly lower than median, you should look at doing some grade repair before you apply. Are you ready for the MCAT yet? You need to plan to just take it once.

Reactions: 1 user
Perhaps, but if your GPA is significantly lower than median, you should look at doing some grade repair before you apply. Are you ready for the MCAT yet? You need to plan to just take it once.

I have a 3.64 and 3.43 science GPA with a good upward trend. I already graduated and am taking time off to study for my MCAT that I am planning on taking in a few months. I definitely dont want to take the MCAT more than once!
She was not very enthusiastic when she saw my transcript.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 3.64 and 3.43 science GPA with a good upward trend. I already graduated and am taking time off to study for my MCAT that I am planning on taking in a few months. I definitely dont want to take the MCAT more than once!
She was not very enthusiastic when she saw my transcript.

It is a bit on the lower side, but a strong MCAT will help. Also, state of residence can help along with targeting the right schools (MD and DO).

Reactions: 1 user
It is a bit on the lower side, but a strong MCAT will help. Also, state of residence can help along with targeting the right schools (MD and DO).

She made it sound like no matter what MCAT I get my GPAs would hurt me. Do you think it would be a bad idea to get a committee letter from her? I'm not sure why schools call it a committee letter when it is usually just one person compiling and writing the letter from my understanding.

The reason she was discouraging you from applying was because she wanted to maintain your school's acceptance percentage. However, once you ARE already applying (assume you haven't totally pissed her off so she's out to get you), she is incentivized to do her best to get you in. I think you'll be fine.

You should get the committee letter, it's really important to have one if your school offers it. MANY secondary essays will ask you to explain the lack of one if you don't.

However maybe wait to ask until after the MCAT. If you can put up a decent score it may make them much more supportive of your app.

My premed advisor was very unsupportive because I also had a low GPA, but once I did well on the MCAT they were much more willing to help.

Depending on your undergrad, state, MCAT, ethnicity, and ECs you could be very, very far from sunk. Best of luck!

You should get the committee letter, it's really important to have one if your school offers it. MANY secondary essays will ask you to explain the lack of one if you don't.

However maybe wait to ask until after the MCAT. If you can put up a decent score it may make them much more supportive of your app.

My premed advisor was very unsupportive because I also had a low GPA, but once I did well on the MCAT they were much more willing to help.

Depending on your undergrad, state, MCAT, ethnicity, and ECs you could be very, very far from sunk. Best of luck!

Though many times if you have already graduated, you can explain no committee letter as you are not currently in classes at the university.

Reactions: 1 users
The reason she was discouraging you from applying was because she wanted to maintain your school's acceptance percentage. However, once you ARE already applying (assume you haven't totally pissed her off so she's out to get you), she is incentivized to do her best to get you in. I think you'll be fine.

Or maybe it is because OP's GPA isn't that competitive and it is better to be realistic with someone than give them false hope...