PreMed Finance Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AKPsiMD84

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a premed and hopefuly will be one for one more year. However, I seek to invest with the purpose of putting my money to work for me. Are there any investment vehicles I can put my money into despite my limited resources?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. Care to be more specific? How much risk are you willing to take? Will you be investing for the long or short term? What kind of returns are you looking to realistically get (I know, as high as possible, but that answer isn't very helpful.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Realistically I am looking to get returns above the average inflation rate (3%) plus any interest on my loans (if the loan is subsidized however... even better). Long-term is best since med school is over several years.

Realistically I am looking to get returns above the average inflation rate (3%) plus any interest on my loans (if the loan is subsidized however... even better). Long-term is best since med school is over several years.

Long term ain't several years. That's short term. I suggest Vanguard Prime Money Market. It pays 5.1% right now.

GMAC CDs offer 5.35% APY if you have $500 or more that you can put away for 12 months.

ford's interest advantage is a non-fdic insured, more liquid version of this, and pays a higher yield i think.

The thing I really like about the GMAC account is that it is FDIC insured. Personally, I don't know how much sleep I'd get at night right now knowing that my money was basically invested in Ford (with no insurance).

GMAC CDs offer 5.35% APY if you have $500 or more that you can put away for 12 months.

The APY on that Vanguard MMF works out to something like 5.23%, and you can take the money out anytime you like. There is a $3000 minimum to open it, but you can then let it go down to $2500 without additional penalties, and down to $500 with a $10-20/year fee. If you prefer CDs, a place called Pentagon Federal Credit Union offers a great deal every January on them. I think this year they were 6.25%. Either way, if you're going to use it for AMCAS, you don't want to be taking ANY risk with it.

Not for AMCAS... more like for personal use and wealth and some practice in investing :). How liquid are these investments?