Premed Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crystal02

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm going to go into pre-medicine next fall (02-03), but I will be applying in September (to Ohio State). I was wondering what major I should choose to pursue. I was thinking biology but I talked to a pre-med at OSU, a really incredibly gifted student who advised me to not go into biology because doing something else would make me appear more interesting to med school boards down the road. So I'm thinking of majoring in psychology because it interests me a lot, I've already taken college classes in it and done well, and also minoring in molecular genetics, because my minor requirements and med school requirements would overlap.
How does this sound? Would a minor in something else, like philosophy or a language or another science be 'better'?
Thanks for all the help. I know this is premature, but I'm a planner and I know my career goals, or at least I think I do. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello. There is no definite major that will do the trick to get into medical school. Heed the advice that I've heard countless times:
Major in something you will enjoy.
That's it.
Have a nice day. :D

don't listen to what anyone else tells you to major in. you should major in what *you* find interesting! you're only in college once and you should take advantage of this opportunity to study what you want to study.

it is true that the vast majority of med school applicants are biology (or chemistry) majors. but while it will make you stand out among the sea of bio majors, majoring in something non-science won't give you any kind of direct advantage in admissions. you will still be expected to do very well in your science courses regardless of what you major in; no one will cut you any slack simply because you chose to major in something other than bio or chem.

so the only subject that is 'better' to major in is whatever you, as an individual, feel is 'better' and more interesting to study. remember that should you not be accepted into medical school (not that uncommon considering the current national acceptance rate is only about 35-40%), your major will be what you have to fall back on, so it would be in your best interests to major in what *you* would like to study, not what someone else suggests.

hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do not mean to be intrusive here... but, DO NOT MAJOR IN THE SCIENCES! Here is why:

You'll be doing science for the rest of your life. Do something else. here's what happened to me... I came to school as physiology major. Indeed, i still am a physiology major as a senior, but since I've tacked on another major - economics. In retrospect, I *WISH* I had done something else instead of physiology.. something like english, philosphy, or history, or theatre... ANYTHING but physiology. Don't get me wrong, I *LOVED* all my physiology classes, but... i'm gonna learn all that stuff (even to a greater extent) in medical school.

Unfortunately, however, when I came in at the young, virgin age of 18 as a freshman, my interests were ONLY in the sciences - hence, my decision to major in physiology. Since then, my interests have expanded dramatically - history, politics, economics, philosophy, etc.

Now that i'm 21 and going through a bit of a mid-mid-life crisis... I realized that although I want to do medicine more than anything, I also want to study different things when i have time. So, i've decided to graduate in 5 years rather than the 3.5 years that it originally would have taken.

Phychology sounds like an interesting major. However, and I don't mean to overgeneralize... but, from my experience (friends, etc) the major is kinda easy/generic in the undergraduate setting. I think you might be more challenged (and believe me, you'll need the mental exercise throughout undergrad to do well on the MCAT and even med school) in something deeper... like a specific type of history, perhaps.

Of course, I have also thought that maybe my desire to go to medical school is a result of how much I love my physiology and sciences classes. But you know what.... being a physician is so much more than just physiology/biocem, and science. And now that I realize that now... i not only am studying other topics for "personal pleasure" but also for the long-term goal of being a more well rounded (intellectually) and compasionate physician.

Double majors are always an option... of course. And since one MUST take the premed requirements to even apply to medical school, tacking on a science major isn't all that difficult.

the important thing is, no matter what you pick.. even if you hate it, make sure you do well, GPA wise 'cuz that you need for a medical school entrance.

good luck though

leon

Originally posted by kreno:

Now that i'm 21 and going through a bit of a mid-mid-life crisis... •

:eek:

Anyhoos, from personal experience, I agree with all the above. I started out as Biophysics, then switched to Biochem, which was chem based and much much more difficult than the straight bio major that most premed choose. Therefore, I have a surly 3.2 GPA :( . So pick something you know you'll enjoy, but also something in which you know you'll do well.

Andrew

There's only one discipline that I've grown to really hate (especially over the last month) and that's biology. I hate biologists and the way they do things. I hate writing essays on exams describing a specific function of some exocytic pathway or whatever. Biology is too descriptive for me and hence not exciting enough. I LOVE biochem and biophysics and my major is physics and math, with a few genetics and biochem courses sprinkled in just for interest. But as the above posters have said, major in whatever interests you... I know next year will be the last year I will ever do the crazy math and physics that I so love... and I haven't regretted choosing my major once. It also has inadvertently given a HUGE boost to my BCPM GPA since most of my courses are P and M.

I started out as a biochem major and then added aging studies my junior year. This was a great combo for me because it had adequate science content that will be helpful when med school begins next month and it allowed me to express my humanistic side as well.

The thing about my aging studies major - those were the classes I enjoyed most in college and I didn't even know it was a major when I declard my major as a freshman. I just happened to find out about it when I took an elective class. It really helped to make my undergrad experience fulfilling - so look for elective classes that you enjoy!

The science/non-science double major worked really well for me and I got into the med school of my choice. Just do what is best for you!

Everyone has given you great advice so far -- major in what interests you, keep your options open, esp. to majors outside the sciences, etc. The only thing I wanted to add, is try not to pick something because you are hoping it will impress the Admissions Committees. What will impress them is if you do well. In terms of making yourself competitive for medical school, there are many other things to concentrate on -- your major shouldn't really enter the picture.

I've heard to major in whatever you will make the best grades in, and that makes a lot of sense.

see, i disagree with that. i don't think you should choose a major based on how well you can potentially do in it, grade-wise. if it so happens that you find this subject to be the most interesting thing in the world AND you happen to be very good at it, then you're lucky--go for it. but if there are other subjects that you would love to pursue but you pass them up in favor of something less interesting to you but easier, then i think you've squandered your education.

i'm not dumb--i know how much grades factor into admissions and how much it is in your best interest to do well. but i strongly believe that your college education shouldn't *only* be a stepping stone to med school. it's a fantastic educational opportunity in itself and you should take advantage of the fact. never again will you be surrounded by top scholars in the fields you love. make the most of it! i was the stereotypical biology major, but i chose this NOT because i was premed but because i honestly love science. in fact, i postponed applying to med school when i graduated from college because i wanted to do research for a while. but in addition, i've always been a literature freak and i complemented my science major with an english poetry minor, with lots of philosophy electives. i wasn't about to let the opportunity to study the subjects at a higher level pass me by.

if there's one thing that i feel matters the most in med school admissions, even more than grades and MCATS, it's persistence. if the drive and ambition are there, you will get into med school eventually. it may not be the first time you apply, or the second, and you may need to work a little harder to be admitted than others, but if you push for it, you can get there.

crystal02, if you like psych, then go for it.

Thank you everyone for all the advice. This is such a great thing you have going here, and I'm glad to have stumbled upon it. Thanks again and good luck to you all!

It's never too late... I was a zoology major, but I got fed up with science my junior year. I had taken 1 history class my sophomore year. Summer between jr. and sr. year I switched it up and became a history major. Nine history classes later, I had my History BS. I loved it. what a great change of pace. I even thought about going to grad school for history. Ahhhhhhh... The good old days...

hi, i'm going to be a senior in h.s. and i plan on majoring in either genetics or bioengineering when i get to college....i don't know which to do ....and i'm tired of hearing...major in what you want.. blah blah blah...just tell ME!! which out of those two...would help me the most in med school...and from what you know...be the most interesting....also..how hard is biomedical engineering? would a minor in something computer related do me some good? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Has anyone heard of anyone in med school that majored in nursing? If so what are the pros and cons? thanks

premedpsycho, it's WAY too early for you to be freaking out. the fact is, none of us here can tell you what is 'best' to major in because there is no such thing as a 'best' major in applying to med school. that's just the way it is.

the only thing that matters is that regardless of what you eventually choose to study, you must do well in it, be it psychology or biomedical engineering or genetics or underwater basketweaving.

we also can't tell you how interesting or how hard a particular major is because what is hard or interesting to one person may be easy and boring to someone else. i know plenty of people who have majored in both genetics and biomedical engineering who have gone on to med school. and a minor in computer science wouldn't necessarily be useful for med school admissions, but would sure make a nice back-up in case med school doesn't pan out.

take it easy, buddy, and enjoy the rest of high school. it will be over before you know it.