Premed Misconceptions: Application Dates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MEDICALSTUFF

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, new member here. I'm a premed student who has recently discovered this forum, and while I've generally been impressed and amused by the content here, a few things have been a little worrying.

One of the most pressing of these issues, is what seems to be the general attitude surrounding admission dates, and subsequently, the misleading information being given to otherwise oblivious inquirers. In short, there seems to be an alarming number of participants who believe that if your primary application isn't in by early September, then one should seriously contemplate applying next year. This is ridiculous.

As if often said, a marginal applicant is a marginal applicant regardless of whether his application is submitted in June or October. Yes, common sense dictates (and some med-schools have confirmed) that early applicants may have a slight advantage over later submissions, but we are talking extremely marginal gains that have become dangerously overstated.

Applying in June/July is great. Applying in late September/early October is fine. Basically, as long as you aren't applying the last day/week in the application window (of which I've heard horror stories), you'll be alright.

Sources: Extensive discussions with current and past pre-med students, med-school advisers, med-school officials, med-school experts, (many through Kaplan contacts).

Members don't see this ad.

Your problem, first of all, is that you used Kaplan. Not many positive outcomes from them on here. Second, we tell people to apply as early as possible because, with rolling invite schools, you have a much better chance on getting an interview invite (II) when submitting secondaries in early August, rather than November. Also, if you are a mediocre applicant that is in a pool with mediocre applicants early on, you have way better chances than being evaluated by very competitive applicants later in the cycle.

Adcoms confirmed this time and time again with AMA threads, where half of the questions were strictly on applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all, new member here. I'm a premed student who has recently discovered this forum, and while I've generally been impressed and amused by the content here, a few things have been a little worrying.

One of the most pressing of these issues, is what seems to be the general attitude surrounding admission dates, and subsequently, the misleading information being given to otherwise oblivious inquirers. In short, there seems to be an alarming number of participants who believe that if your primary application isn't in by early September, then one should seriously contemplate applying next year. This is ridiculous.

As if often said, a marginal applicant is a marginal applicant regardless of whether his application is submitted in June or October. Yes, common sense dictates (and some med-schools have confirmed) that early applicants may have a slight advantage over later submissions, but we are talking extremely marginal gains that have become dangerously overstated.

Applying in June/July is great. Applying in late September/early October is fine. Basically, as long as you aren't applying the last day/week in the application window (of which I've heard horror stories), you'll be alright.

Sources: Extensive discussions with current and past pre-med students, med-school advisers, med-school officials, med-school experts, (many through Kaplan contacts).

Had a friend with amazing numbers apply in October and failed miserably last cycle. He applied in June now. I bet he gets in this time

sorry but you're wrong, having a late application sinks your application, even if it was good to begin with

Reactions: 5 users
plot to sabotage competition...!

Reactions: 8 users
There are schools out there where every interview slot until January is already filled up, and it is only mid August. If you submit your primary app right now, you won't have secondaries done until November, and you will be lucky to get an interview for a waitlist spot in April. There are schools out there where the interview season ends in December (upitt for instance). It is just not a good idea to apply late.

My alma mater WUSTL posted some stats about % chance of applicants getting acceptances or not based on how early they submit the primary. Your chances are good if you submit in June or early-mid July, but then your chances get cut in half starting late July and into August. And your chances keep decreasing accordingly every month after that. So OP, no, you're wrong. Early submission does give you an advantage.

Reactions: 3 users
My alma mater WUSTL posted some stats about % chance of applicants getting acceptances or not based on how early they submit the primary. Your chances are good if you submit in June or early-mid July, but then your chances get cut in half starting late July and into August. And your chances keep decreasing accordingly every month after that. So OP, no, you're wrong. Early submission does give you an advantage.

Wow that's a pretty scary statistic! o_0 I am still working on my last few secondaries. Hopefully I can finish them all up today and stop feeling this sense of DOOM. In retrospect, I had no idea how extensive these secondaries were when I decided to apply to 35 schools. This forum is kicking me in the butt, but I don't mind, even if the OP is right in that it's all some big hyperbole (which I sincerely doubt since my premed adviser and friends who applied last cycle concur with SDN).

EDIT: I just have to add that I truly wish I'd found SDN a couple of years ago. My application would have been much better off.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Do you mind posting a link if you have it? I'd be interested in looking at those.

Do you mind posting a link if you have it? I'd be interested in looking at those.
Unfortunately, I don't. It was in an info session specifically catered for us right before the school year ended.

That's really interesting! Definitely asking partially out of paranoia here, but those stats are WRT to the primary submission, right? I'm still sitting on a few secondaries that I've just been too lazy to look at -- am hoping to get them in this week (which, ugh, is 100% my fault but I've kinda burnt out). SDN is making me slightly neurotic about how submitting secondaries mid-August might be considered "late".

Honestly, aren't the ones who apply first and right away the most competitive? They obviously have their stuff together and all ready to go. I would think those who dilly-dally with their application are not that strong.

That's really interesting! Definitely asking partially out of paranoia here, but those stats are WRT to the primary submission, right? I'm still sitting on a few secondaries that I've just been too lazy to look at -- am hoping to get them in this week (which, ugh, is 100% my fault but I've kinda burnt out). SDN is making me slightly neurotic about how submitting secondaries mid-August might be considered "late".
The longer you stay here, the more neurotic you'll become. Don't give yourself more stress than you need.

Yes, these stats are based on how quickly you can get AMCAS verified. WUSTL advisors told us to follow the ubiquitous 2 week rule for secondary turnaround. I just did same day submissions or submitted 1-2 days after receipt because I hate letting things pile up on my plate.
Honestly, aren't the ones who apply first and right away the most competitive? They obviously have their stuff together and all ready to go. I would think those who dilly-dally with their application are not that strong.
No, the ones who apply first and right away aren't necessarily the superstar applicants. They are simply the ones who know to take advantage of submitting early. Early submission of both primary and secondary helps an average applicant (like me) increase my chances of getting looked at, even if it's just a slight advantage. FWIW, a lot of extremely competitive applicants make the mistake of not applying as early as possible, some out of cockiness, others out of ignorance or just being too busy in June or July.