Premed or postbacc.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FutureStudentDr

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello 🙂
I am really confused about choosing between a premed. program or a post-bacc. program since I need to prepare for Medical School and improve my science skills since I didn't do so good at chemistry and physics back in High School-4 years ago. . .
Can anyone answer me these questions, please:
1. What's the difference between a premed. program and a post-bacc. program?
2. How long does it take to complete a post-bacc. program? (since this program is more formal). Are there any options to complete this program part-time?
3. How affordable is a post-bacc. program?
4. Is a post-bacc. programs equivalents to a B.S. degree? (meaning that if I complete a post-bacc. I don't need to get my B.S. in science or nutriton or computers or history or anthropology, etc!)
PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP ME :xf:
 
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "premed program," but "premed" generally refers to someone who is enrolled at a 4-year college or university and is taking the med school prereqs while they complete a Bachelors degree.

A "postbac program" is for someone who already has a Bachelors degree but did not complete the prereqs and needs to do so before applying for medical school.

They are two completely different entities -- one does not replace the other. Have you had education past high school? If not, you need to get a Bachelors degree from a 4-year college or university. During that time, you can complete the prereqs. If you have completed a Bachelor's degree, then a postbac program is your only option.