PreMed Programs In Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hijinxx7

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1)
I have searched through the forums and cant seem to find any info on post bacc premed programs in Canada, not the US.

Are there indeed any formal ones at any of the 17 Canadian medical schools?

2)
11/17 Canadian schools require the MCATS. Which 6 do not?

3)
I just graduated from Engineering at the University of Waterloo. My overall cumulative GPA was quite low. My last two years were 75%. Im going to be taking all the prerecs (Full year bio, gen chem, o.chem, physics) this upcoming year regardless of weather or not I can find a formal postbacc program in Canada.

If my science GPA for these prerecs is competitive, what schools in Canada only tend to consider the science GPA more so than my undergrad?

Please comment on your experiences/stories of post-bacc ppl that you have heard of getting into med school.

Members don't see this ad.

hijinxx7 said:
1)
I have searched through the forums and cant seem to find any info on post bacc premed programs in Canada, not the US.

Are there indeed any formal ones at any of the 17 Canadian medical schools?

There are no such programs in Canada.

2)
11/17 Canadian schools require the MCATS. Which 6 do not?

- McMaster
- UOttawa
- Northern Ontario Medical School
- Laval (french-speaking)
- Montreal (french-speaking)
- Sherbrooke (french-speaking)

3)
I just graduated from Engineering at the University of Waterloo. My overall cumulative GPA was quite low. My last two years were 75%. Im going to be taking all the prerecs (Full year bio, gen chem, o.chem, physics) this upcoming year regardless of weather or not I can find a formal postbacc program in Canada.

Doing additional courses should be fine. I would recommend though that you look into a two-year after-degree program. Some schools will only consider grades that are earned while working to a degree. Make sure that this is an undergraduate after-degree program—most schools will not consider graduate degree grades.

Queen's, Western, and probably a few others may look at only your last two years if your other grades are poor. Ottawa will put 5/6 of the weight on your grades in the last two years. So a two-year after-degree strikes me as ideal.

If my science GPA for these prerecs is competitive, what schools in Canada only tend to consider the science GPA more so than my undergrad?

The University of Alberta puts equal weight on your pre-req average as on your cumulative GPA. There are probably others, but I can't think of which they are off the top of my head.