Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Premed requirements useful?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by asilvey, Oct 24, 2001.

1. asilvey

asilvey Member

Current med-school students:
    Have your basic premed requirements, i.e. P-Chem, Organic Chem, Physics, etc. been useful to you in medical school? I have heard that the info from these courses are not used in med-school.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pushinepi2

pushinepi2 Bicarb chaser
    Physician

Attending Physician
    Personally speaking, I think the pre-medical course requirements are excellent for getting yourself an interview. With regard to their relationship to the medical school curriculum, I have found little to no correlation. While it is true that biochemistry majors or people with extensive science backgrounds probably perform better on the chemistry-based assessments, the medical school curriculum is soooo specific. How can physical chemistry possibly prepare you for understanding the intricacies of the left shoulder?!?!?! Being a non science major, I was extremely intimidated during the first several weeks. I soon learned that medical school's first year places virtually everyone on a level playing field. My comments are not meant to disparage the classical pre-med prerequisites. A good friend of mine majored in biochemisty.. He finds genetics and related topics to be little more than a comprehensive review. Put him in the histology and anatomy labs, however, and watch the brow furrow!!!!

Ben
    NSUCOM 2005