1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice

Premed requirements useful?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by asilvey, Oct 24, 2001.

1. asilvey

asilvey Member
    10+ Year Member

Current med-school students:
    Have your basic premed requirements, i.e. P-Chem, Organic Chem, Physics, etc. been useful to you in medical school? I have heard that the info from these courses are not used in med-school.

2. pushinepi2

pushinepi2 Bicarb chaser
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Personally speaking, I think the pre-medical course requirements are excellent for getting yourself an interview. With regard to their relationship to the medical school curriculum, I have found little to no correlation. While it is true that biochemistry majors or people with extensive science backgrounds probably perform better on the chemistry-based assessments, the medical school curriculum is soooo specific. How can physical chemistry possibly prepare you for understanding the intricacies of the left shoulder?!?!?! Being a non science major, I was extremely intimidated during the first several weeks. I soon learned that medical school's first year places virtually everyone on a level playing field. My comments are not meant to disparage the classical pre-med prerequisites. A good friend of mine majored in biochemisty.. He finds genetics and related topics to be little more than a comprehensive review. Put him in the histology and anatomy labs, however, and watch the brow furrow!!!!

Ben
    NSUCOM 2005

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...