premed to prepharm advice

Started by dapmp91
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dapmp91

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys, this is my first time posting here, I have decided to switch from premed to pre-pharm, anyways I interned at a hospital and decided it wasn't for me, at the same time I learned that I love chemistry! Anyways can you guys give me any advice on this transition if you can, also my second question is that my GPA is 3.3 (not very good, I know) but if I decide to get a masters in pharmacology will that raise my chances for pharmacy school? thanks guys, I look forward to reading your replies!
 
Masters in Pharmacology? I am sure that would help a great deal. Are you interested in the industry side of pharmacy or actual pharmacy practice?
I think your GPA is competitive but a lot is going to weigh on your PCAT.
 
Masters in Pharmacology? I am sure that would help a great deal. Are you interested in the industry side of pharmacy or actual pharmacy practice?
I think your GPA is competitive but a lot is going to weigh on your PCAT.

I am really interested about the pharmaceutical industry! Can you give me any information on that?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You could get a PhD in Pharmaceutical Sciences. You could also get a PharmD and work in industry. It just depends on where your interests lie. I think almost every school of pharmacy has a PhD program. Their websites will have lots more information.
 
You could get a PhD in Pharmaceutical Sciences. You could also get a PharmD and work in industry. It just depends on where your interests lie. I think almost every school of pharmacy has a PhD program. Their websites will have lots more information.

If I get a masters in pharmacology before applying to pharmacy school and decide to get a dual degree pharmd. and Phd, do I have to take all of the PhD requirements?
 
I don't think your GPA is really that bad. True, it's not stellar, but there are so many other parts of the application for the adcoms to look at.

Good luck!
 
If I get a masters in pharmacology before applying to pharmacy school and decide to get a dual degree pharmd. and Phd, do I have to take all of the PhD requirements?

Not sure. You will have to check with the program you are interested. I think a masters in pharmacology would cover most of the pre-reqs for the PhD but, again, I am not sure since I haven't looked into the PhD programs at all. If I were you I would just contact the PhD program directors at the schools in which you are interested.