premeds and parking tickets

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drmota

2K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone ever successfully contested a parking violation? i got slapped with a $250 ticket for parking in a bus zone while delivering a pizza. i had my delivery sign on AND my hazzards on and couldn't have been gone for more than 3 minutes. i am furious. if you can't tell. enough to start a thread that can't be moved to the lounge. because i only want to know if PREMEDS have successfully contested a ticket. so if you have please tell me how

i've heard that if you postpone the date that it is due and then go to the office near the end ot that date it's been so long since it happened that usually the officer doesn't show up and you can get away with it. any other ideas are welcome. thanks
-mota

Members don't see this ad.

drmota said:
has anyone ever successfully contested a parking violation? i got slapped with a $250 ticket for parking in a bus zone while delivering a pizza. i had my delivery sign on AND my hazzards on and couldn't have been gone for more than 3 minutes. i am furious. if you can't tell. enough to start a thread that can't be moved to the lounge. because i only want to know if PREMEDS have successfully contested a ticket. so if you have please tell me how

i've heard that if you postpone the date that it is due and then go to the office near the end ot that date it's been so long since it happened that usually the officer doesn't show up and you can get away with it. any other ideas are welcome. thanks
-mota
Yea that's definitely generally true. Not a majority of the time, but I heard something like 20% maybe. And it for sure varies by location. The only question is, how much is your time worth? Like is it worth potentially spending 8+ hours of your time sitting in the lobby for a chance that it'll get thrown out? I'd say it's a toss-up for me whether I'd give it a shot.

On a related note: my apartment-mate left his car in a handicapped spot for 10 min because he had some stomach bug and was literally going to **** himself if he didn't run to a bathroom. He got a chuckle out of the judge, but no reduced fine. :laugh:

Over the summer while I was doing research, I decided not to buy a parking permit for August since I was only going to be there the first week. I got a parking ticket there, and then managed to get another one when I got home. Yes, two parking tickets in one day...I'm going to be a doctor :p

Members don't see this ad :)
mota,

I have absolutely no advice for you, but I will say that I feel you, man. I've had my car towed three times (each towing cost me over 250 dollars) and I've received more on-campus parking tickets than I can count (at least 30 over four years). And I've also had a boot put on my car. Yes, I'm lazy, but my car is sexy and should be able to park where she damn well pleases, and furthermore, my school's parking policies are beyond wacked, and I'm taking a stand for what I believe in, for sure. Let us know how the ticket fighting goes.

-Organ

I've been to traffic court and gotten a ticket thrown out. The officer cited me for an "unsafe lane change". Total BS plus the officer didn't even have good notes on what happened. I told the judge my story and since the officer couldn't counter with anything, it got thrown out.

Everybody at court was there for moving violations. I don't think it's worth it to contest a parking ticket, since it won't add points to your license or insurance. However, $250 is ridiculous for just a parking violation.

If you really want to and have the spare time, go to court. If you explain your story, I'm sure the judge will understand. He might not throw out the ticket entirely but he will very likely lower the fine significantly.

Yes, from what I heard, if the officer doesn't show up, the ticket will get thrown out. But it seems like all the officers showed up for court the day I went.

drmota said:

-mota

Agree with what has written -- if the officer doesn't show, you have a decent chance of beating a ticket or at least having the severity reduced. But traffic cops in some parts of the country are more adamantly required by their job to show, so only bother with this if you have the time to burn. As for your defense -- you may want to check out the local traffic codes, but unfortunatelly what you have described does not really sound like a valid defense to the ticket.

thanks for the help y'all. apparently the way it works is that you have 3 different steps of requesting a review. the first one you do online, and then you get to have your administration hearing. i'm fighting this one to the end of it. 250 bucks?? that's like 80 tips. f&ck that
-mota

drmota said:
thanks for the help y'all. apparently the way it works is that you have 3 different steps of requesting a review. the first one you do online, and then you get to have your administration hearing. i'm fighting this one to the end of it. 250 bucks?? that's like 80 tips. f&ck that
-mota
I say that we all send mota a buck or two and that solves the whole problem in the best possible way. I don't think you can argue your way outta that one.

QofQuimica said:
I say that we all send mota a buck or two and that solves the whole problem in the best possible way. I don't think you can argue your way outta that one.

If he can, perhaps he really belongs on the pre-law board. :laugh:
(Mota, Esq. has a nice ring to it)

well, it really sucks but I don't think you can park in a bus spot no matter what so I think you have to suck it up and pay it.

i didn't contest my parking ticket (i was guilty, i parked 25 feet away from a stop sign when you were supposed to park at least 30 feet away and the officer had measured it and everything) but I did show up to the hearing to "explain myself" (I suck at guestimating, 25 feet looked like 30 to me)- and they reduced the ticket by half. So, if you admit your guilt but explain yourself you will almost always get a parking ticket reduced and you don't have to go to court, hold your breath for the officer to show (you just go see a mediator or county person by yourself). Worked for me and it only takes about 10 minutes of your time.

drmota said:
-mota

geez. sounds almost as complicated/time-consuming/unpredictable as med school apps. requesting review online = AMCAS & secondaries. administration hearing = interview. final judgement = well, final judgement.

at least you'll have some experience in how to deal with the excessive stress, sleepless nights, etc that comes with the territory.... :laugh:

on a more serious note - best of luck with that. tickets can be the most frustrating and infuriating thing (i've never gotten a speeding ticket, but have only gotten them for stupid crap like this)

:laugh: Nice hack mota!! Keepin' this thread out of the lounge. It definitely belongs in pre-allo ;)

Let me see if I get this straight:

1. You parked (albeit only for a short time) in a bus stop
2. You got caught
3. You got a ticket
4. You are whining about a ticket
5. You are whining about a ticket on a forum for people going into medical school
6. You just made me waste 2 minutes of my life that I can never get back

Flopotomist said:

2. You got caught
3. You got a ticket
5. You are whining about a ticket on a forum for people going into medical school

you should have known better opening a thread called "premeds and parking tickets"
-mota

Flopotomist said:

2. You got caught
3. You got a ticket

1. You clicked on a thread titled "Premeds and Parking Tickets"
2. Pow! Surprise: the thread was, in fact, about premeds and parking tickets
3. You're upset that you wasted 2 minutes, so...
4. You wasted another 2 minutes to write an itemized response about how much you miss those first 2 wasted minutes.

:laugh:

drmota said:

-mota

no. i was recently fined $100 for parking in my own driveway. for half an hour. and i've lived here my whole life (the house with the driveway, not the driveway). i sent them a letter and a photo of my car in my driveway. i still had to pay $100. i'm still bitter.

In a recent UCLA-related parking experience, I thought I was being super smart, opting out of the $8 parking garage and instead walking 6 blocks from a not-so convenient parking spot on the street. I return to find a ticket on my dash. But wait, I can't get a ticket, theres no sign! Ohhh...Forgot to check behind the giant tree, approximately 1 block ahead of my car...my bad. Aparently they clean THAT side of the street on fridays and the other side on thursdays. I'm not bitter though.

By the way, we need to add more premed stuff to the chuck norris threads...

drmota said:

-mota

Send them a picture with you next to Chuck Norris...(It helps if Chuck Norris is in a crotched position ready to attack)

No - Mota, just send Chuck Norris, and all parking tickets will be history. Chuck Norris doesn't park. He arrives. And then he roundhouse kicks those fools along with Mr T for the lack of respect.

Q: How long does it take Chuck Norris to eat a stake?

A: 45 minutes, 5 minutes to eat the stake, and 40 minutes banging the waitress.

Q: How long will it take Chuck Norris to get rid of Mota's parking ticket?

A: 40 Min, 1 sec to get the ticket revoked and 39 min 59 sec potato sacking the judge.