Premeds: Do you keep yourself in shape? What is your routine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@The Buff OP Is it possible to lose fat and bulk. Clean looking, no flabby parts anywhere. I'm currently 150, I got powerful legs and calves due to soccer lol, just need to get larger arms and chest, I want to get to 170 by winter.

And what are your opinions on pre-workouts, I normally drink redbull but people say it's bad for you? any advice appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

And what are your opinions on pre-workouts, I normally drink redbull but people say it's bad for you? any advice appreciated.

I'm hoping you're joking?

Reactions: 1 user
I lost 120 pounds within the past few years. I am girl and was at 240 when I was stress eating way too much due to personal reasons. I found the best workouts are getting involved in sports. I found out I loved tennis and racquetball and would play it every day on top of working out. Plus it helped to join the myfitnesspal. It really put into perspective what the F I was eating and how much sugar I was having daily.

For my actual workout both my boyfriend and I bought the women's and the men's big book of exercises. I did the Spartacus on cardio days and a strength training one on other days. My boyfriend did the scrawny to brawny and the Spartacus as well.

I don't know if this is a serious discussion because I didn't read besides the first few comments, just thought I'd share my two cents on working out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not at all, I drink redbull zero before a workout.

Certain pre-workout drink mixes contain caffeine to give you more energy. Maybe try investing in a mix as well? I've found that they work and help you recover more. The balance is just right so you don't get too dehydrated or lose too much electrolytes.

7 minutes is not enough for real results. Is not one of those Instagram 30 day challenge thing is it? Those are bad. :thumbdown: You can always last an hour in the gym and do moderate weight workouts and a 30 minute session of cardio if you are looking to stay fit. Nutrition is key to success. 70% Nutrition 30%Gym.

Hardy har. I don't instagram. The idea behind it is using your body weight as resistance and doing the exercises at high intensity with minimum rest in-between. You can repeat a cycle which would be even better, but 7 minutes is enough, and was designed to be able to do quickly in the mornings before shower if you have a long day and can't afford to give more time. Again, it's not about "getting" results - I'm a girl who's not looking to build muscle, simply to not keel over from being hunched over my computer all day or run out of breath going up five flights of stairs. I just felt this thread was very bro and wanted to expand the audience :rolleyes:

Here are some studies about it.

@The Buff OP Is it possible to lose fat and bulk. Clean looking, no flabby parts anywhere. I'm currently 150, I got powerful legs and calves due to soccer lol, just need to get larger arms and chest, I want to get to 170 by winter.

It is possible especially at beginner stages of weightlifting. For best efficiency (maintaining muscle mass), do high intensity interval training on nonlifting days, or HIIT after lifting (preferably not after a heavy compound day), or low intensity in the am on an empty stomach.

I have been lifting for 8 years. From personal experience, what worked best for me is doing HIIT on non lifting days, I lift at least 4 times a week, cardio 3 times a week, so I am at the gym 6/7 times a week.... sometimes I do take a day break)... I eat 8-12 small meals a day. Although it is not necessary to eat at that frequency, this is what allows me to maintain muscle mass while having such a high intensity of cardio... making sure I have a real meal at least 2-3 hours before my workout which will last 1-1.5houra to remain anabolic)

Preworkout is okay but not necessary. The FDA released some reports of young people dying due.to redbull and 5 hour energy couple months ago but those cases involved mixtures of these products, high doses, and already existing heart conditions. Just watch what preworkout you buy. Some have octopamine, dopamine... YES dopamine, amphetamines, and phenylephrine....

Last edited:
I eat 8-12 small meals a day. Although it is not necessary to eat at that frequency, this is what allows me to maintain muscle mass while having such a high intensity of cardio... making sure I have a real meal at least 2-3 hours before my workout which will last 1-1.5houra to remain anabolic)

Let's not contaminate new lifters' minds with broscience.

Calories are calories. Doesn't matter when you eat it or how many times you eat. If you eat 2000 calories in 5 meals it's the same as eating 2000 calories in 1 meal. The meal timing and absurdly high protein requirements were made by the supplement companies, I.E. pure bull****.

And to the people who said they don't want to look like Ronnie Coleman, I doubt you even lift

Stunning specimen
tumblr_mexexjn4e21qg1vd7.jpg

Obviously, you have no sense of physiology and I will bet you are not an advanced lifter.

If I eat a huge breakfast, wait 10 hours, I WILL be catabolic (glucagon + corticosteroids). Try doing this for a month, lifting heavy 10 hours after your breakfast and show me your results.

Calories are calories for the most part when it comes to losing weight. For gaining muscle and maintaining its a whole other story.

Also,meal timing has its benefits... high frequency meals while maintaining daily caloric intake allow....
1) more variability in your food on a daily basis
2) allow you to eat more higher glycemic index foods
3) less chance you will cheat because you are not completely starving yourself

Downside is it can be complicated... especially in the.beginning

No. Catabolic and anabolic don't mix together. It is possible to clean bulk, though. Get the gains without going sloppy joe. I know when you hear the word "bodybuilding" you think of pro-bodybuilders, but for the most part that's not the true meaning of bodybuilding. You need to work on every part of your body and not just focus on arms and chest. You want to look swole, then you need to also work on your back and shoulders. Working on your shoulders and back gives you more power to get your bench up. You still need to have a legs day even if you think your legs are beefy. Soccer has a lot of running, that could stop you from getting muscle. Look at most professional soccer players they are slim, but have some leg development. Do you play for a season soccer team? Maybe on the off-season bulk up and take it easy on the cardio.

Pre-workouts are a touchy subject. Many pre-workouts have been taken off the shelves because they have found ETH-Amphetamine, 1,3-dimethylamylamine, and other stuff. Nutritional supplements are not regulated by the FDA, but they are hit hard when they (FDA) find something that's not right. I would go to a local nutritional supplement store (they got knowledgeable meatheads there) and ask what pre-workouts they offer and which are not that strong (just something small to start with) or doesn't have that much caffeine in it. BTW you are taking one Redbull? Why not 3? Jk Don't drink those for workouts. If anything don't ever drink a pre-workout when you plan to do cardio only. I take pre-workouts, but I hit my weights first then cardio.

Edit: Dude, I saw your thread. Did you smoke crack or something? lol

Last edited:
Let's not contaminate new lifters' minds with broscience.

Calories are calories. Doesn't matter when you eat it or how many times you eat. If you eat 2000 calories in 5 meals it's the same as eating 2000 calories in 1 meal. The meal timing and absurdly high protein requirements were made by the supplement companies, I.E. pure bullcrap.

And to the people who said they don't want to look like Ronnie Coleman, I doubt you even lift

Stunning specimen
tumblr_mexexjn4e21qg1vd7.jpg
That's an aesthetic Ronnie Coleman, but when he started using too much HGH and had that bloated gut that **** was disgusting. This is coming from a guy who has been around big ass bodybuilders. It's a good thing they are trying to bring aesthetics back into bodybuilding instead of the super huge and no proportion bodies.

Obviously, you have no sense of physiology and I will bet you are not an advanced lifter.

If I eat a huge breakfast, wait 10 hours, I WILL be catabolic (glucagon + corticosteroids). Try doing this for a month, lifting heavy 10 hours after your breakfast and show me your results.

Calories are calories for the most part when it comes to losing weight. For gaining muscle and maintaining its a whole other story.

What the actual **** lmao..
What are you stats on the big 3, man?

Members don't see this ad :)
uhh if you must know... I really dont want to turn this into a "I lift heavier than you" meathead type of convo...

Everyone has their own goals. And everyone is different.

To the OP, I suggest doing your own thing and assess how it goes every couple weeks... trial and error... for me ive followed studies initially as much as I could... but in the end it came down to trial and error and what works for me...

Weight: 175lbs

Squat: 365 x 6
Deadlift: 385 x 6
Bench: 265 x 8

Squat: 365 x 6
Deadlift: 385 x 6
Bench: 265 x 8

Lol no offense man, but for someone acting like they know everything your lifts certainly don't match your "expertise". Especially for 8 years, your lifts are laughable. I was squatting around 280x5 at the end of my first year and this is without tracking my macronutrients or worrying about "going catabolic". Pulling 300 at the end of the first year. With 8 years of training you should be squatting at least 500 lbs.

But sure you keep talking about ways to foster gains while I actually make them.

gains-expert.png

@Godspeedyou and @Ramzy
Can you guys just take this to a private a msg or just stop? Please don't ruin this thread for others by getting this thread closed. :thumbup:

Remember brothers in iron.

@Godspeedyou and @Ramzy
Can you guys just take this to a private a msg or just stop? Please don't ruin this thread for others by getting this thread closed. :thumbup:

Remember brothers in iron.

Sorry, nothing personal @ godspeed though, just tryin to help :)

Godspeed, I have a friend who benches incline over 300 lbs, and he barely eats, and not so frequently although his squatand deadlift is nonexistent lol... so that goes against what I do myself... what im trying to say is that a lot of this I feel comes down to individual genetics and yeah a lot of broscience out there because of all this variability and data and the fact that it is so hard to measure these things while having everything else constant...

I have to say I disagree as well. I do IF and I pretty much eat 1-2 meals a day, Way!! after my workouts and I've seen gains. Again, this isn't a pi$$ing contest but my numbers trump yours and from my experience, it all comes down to caloric intake and macronutrient partitioning for muscle gain or fat loss. All that 10 hour crap is non sense. I lift and train hard in a fasted state and I've seen results.

Reactions: 2 users
Dem genetics. Lol. Yeah, I could not gain much doing that. I guess its my body... I reached a point I was eating 6600 calories per day, pretty much bringing a garbage bag full of taperwares to school lol...........

Dem genetics. Lol. Yeah, I could not gain much doing that. I guess its my body... I reached a point I was eating 6600 calories per day, pretty much bringing a garbage bag full of taperwares to school lol...........

6600 calories
Lol unless you're running a marathon every day or you are 8 feet tall and weigh 400 lbs, I'd say you're miscalculating your intake or just estimating.
When I was 120 lbs a couple years ago, I used to think I was eating so many calories and questioning why I wasn't gaining weight. But looking back I now understand why: I was eating a poptart +soda for a snack and then a big mac from mcdonalds for dinner. I actually believed this was about 4,000 calories... This is a mistake a lot of "hard gainers" make. But if you can actually eat 6600 calories and stay shredded, congrats on the god-tier genetics.

Reactions: 1 users
No, I was not miscalculating... the vomiting feeling I got is pretty real... I was eating on average 600 grams of rice (cooked) and 250 grams of chicken per meal. I gained 40 pounds in 4 months. And no man I was not shredded at 6600 lol, I would say around 14perc bf. I dont do this any more. I am happy with my physique and would say I reached my goal, and dont wish to increase my numbers anymore... maybe bench a little... right now my diet cycles between.2000 calories and 3500 calories

Last edited:
Lol no offense man, but for someone acting like they know everything your lifts certainly don't match your "expertise". Especially for 8 years, your lifts are laughable. I was squatting around 280x5 at the end of my first year and this is without tracking my macronutrients or worrying about "going catabolic". Pulling 300 at the end of the first year. With 8 years of training you should be squatting at least 500 lbs.

But sure you keep talking about ways to foster gains while I actually make them.

gains-expert.png

obviously making gains is not linear, and who said I want to squat 500?

And how am I acting like I know everything? I obviously said this is what works for ME

you are not really contributing to this thread, thanks for bashing someone trying to help. Call it broscience. Its anecdotal evidence.

Off to get my "gainz"

God speed amigo

Last edited:

okay buddy. but just stay safe and make sure the gains aren't too linear because progress is evil

ibzRgIIQKF3H3e.gif

And how am I acting like I know everything? I obviously said this is what works for ME

you are not really contributing to this thread, thanks for bashing someone trying to help. Call it broscience. Its anecdotal evidence.

Off to get my "gainz"

God speed amigo

Settle down guys!! Lol. I think we can all agree and say that eating 6000+ calories a day isn't beneficial unless you're some type of Olympic athlete, and two, gains in the gym aren't linear. You lift, reach a certain plateau, tweak macros as needed, and make more gains. Sometimes, you lose PR's when you cut calories. Three, bro science is unreliable. You don't have to eat every 2-3 hours and eat 6 meals a day. You don't have to eat brown rice, grilled chicken and broccoli everyday. It works for some people and that's great. For me, I'll stick to doing IF and eating once to twice per day on a flexible diet. I'm not saying one is better than the other, my point is that you should do what works for you. Period! I personally ignore what the so called experts and bro scientists say and listen to my body.

Hardy har. I don't instagram. The idea behind it is using your body weight as resistance and doing the exercises at high intensity with minimum rest in-between. You can repeat a cycle which would be even better, but 7 minutes is enough, and was designed to be able to do quickly in the mornings before shower if you have a long day and can't afford to give more time. Again, it's not about "getting" results - I'm a girl who's not looking to build muscle, simply to not keel over from being hunched over my computer all day or run out of breath going up five flights of stairs. I just felt this thread was very bro and wanted to expand the audience :rolleyes:

Here are some studies about it.
Busy mom and still finds time to stay in shape.
http://a.abcnews.com/images/Health/ht_fit_mom_sr_131204_16x9_992.jpg

I also know about workouts for women. I made a basic workout plan for the ladies who asked here on SDN when there was another thread about this before. If you are not looking to have a booty or tone legs then just stick to cardio. Remember girls always think they will get bulky if they start doing weight lifting but that's not always the case.
"Testosterone levels in women are typical 5 percent to 10 percent of those in men." -Mehmet Oz, MD

Last edited:
Buff OP what do you really look like? I picture you as scrawny east Asian dude.

Reactions: 3 users
Buff OP what do you really look like? I picture you as scrawny east Asian dude.
I am Mexican-American. I look like your worst nightmare. But on the real I'm just a bodybuilder. I'm not that cut at the moment I look like I'm in my bulking season. I wear 2XL shirts and it's hard for me to find jeans that fit my legs. I actually want to drop down a lot of size so I'm not really going ham in the gym now in days. I want to drop my body size to this... http://i.imgur.com/CfZQiFf.jpg
Hate on it.

Last edited:
I run, i've never been much into pumping irons. Running just feels natural and I get to do it when I'm late to class.

My workout buddy always said that the best routine is the one you'll actually do, cuz something's better than nothing. For me, that means 5/3/1.

. Do you play for a season soccer team? Maybe on the off-season bulk up and take it easy on the cardio.
Edit: Dude, I saw your thread. Did you smoke crack or something? lol

Thanks, once I finish my semester, I'll start bulking again and lifting weights more often perhaps 5/6 days of the week and I wont swim as much. I'll be playing soccer and doing rowing in the fall, until then, I'll just focus on lifting. And no I didn't smoke crack.

Thanks, once I finish my semester, I'll start bulking again and lifting weights more often perhaps 5/6 days of the week and I wont swim as much. I'll be playing soccer and doing rowing in the fall, until then, I'll just focus on lifting. And no I didn't smoke crack.
You are welcome, broham. I'm off to go do my night cardio. Treadmill (incline) and stair master.

Why don't you try IF if you're trying to cut.
Been there done that. I rather have my 5 meals a day. Both will give you results. IF doesn't mix with bodybuilding, even the Men's physique competitors don't fast.

sports>

stick to one or try a bunch of sports and if you like it you'll end up working out to improve your game. its all about having fun in the end. you can have a 100% scientifically perfect routine to maximize gains without ever plateauing but quit in 3weeks if youre not having fun.

Those of you who run IF, does it really change your results by much? I see it as more of an eating plan than a diet, but man is it more comfortable than eating throughout the day. I'm not really that far into it yet though so I don't really have much to conclude at this point.

Those of you who run IF, does it really change your results by much? I see it as more of an eating plan than a diet, but man is it more comfortable than eating throughout the day. I'm not really that far into it yet though so I don't really have much to conclude at this point.

It's more about less stress with the same results you'd see with a normal BBer dieting plan...It simply shows that meal timing is irrelevant and you can look amazing by just eating one huge meal a day if you want.

But honestly if eating 10 small meals works for you and you like it then keep doing it. Training fasted can be an amazing feeling though

Reactions: 2 users
It's more about less stress with the same results you'd see with a normal BBer dieting plan...It simply shows that meal timing is irrelevant and you can look amazing by just eating one huge meal a day if you want.

But honestly if eating 10 small meals works for you and you like it then keep doing it. Training fasted can be an amazing feeling though

I recently discovered the joy of training fasted. I couldn't figure out why I felt so sluggish before, I thought I was just tired from work. Honestly, I'm enjoying my 20hr fast 4 hr eating window...even though everyone outside of fitness thinks I have an eating disorder now...:laugh:

Who actually does this ****? 10 small meals?? Wow! :laugh:

gains-expert.png

You're both a couple of gym dorks, IMO.

Maybe you should try Carb Cycling, it's what I did to drop below 300lbs (240 now). It's pretty simple:

-Weekdays: 50g carbs, high fat and protien
-Weekends: All the carbs you want. 60%+ of your calories should be from carbs
-Eat lots of veggies
-Fibre doesn't count as a carb (Ex: 1 serving of broccoli has 8g carbs, but 6g of that is fibre, so for the purposes of the diet it only has 2g of carbs

It's great because there a "break" from the diet built in during the weekend, where you can eat that Ding Dong you wanted on Tuesday. On monday, you'll have the biggest pump of your life, allowing you to enter beast mode at the gym. Over 6 months, my lifts went UP as I lost weight.

The con of the diet is that, if done right, you'll only lose 1-2lbs/week (depending on how strict you are).

Just a suggestion.

Maybe you should try Carb Cycling, it's what I did to drop below 300lbs (240 now). It's pretty simple:

-Weekdays: 50g carbs, high fat and protien
-Weekends: All the carbs you want. 60%+ of your calories should be from carbs
-Eat lots of veggies
-Fibre doesn't count as a carb (Ex: 1 serving of broccoli has 8g carbs, but 6g of that is fibre, so for the purposes of the diet it only has 2g of carbs

It's great because there a "break" from the diet built in during the weekend, where you can eat that Ding Dong you wanted on Tuesday. On monday, you'll have the biggest pump of your life, allowing you to enter beast mode at the gym. Over 6 months, my lifts went UP as I lost weight.

The con of the diet is that, if done right, you'll only lose 1-2lbs/week (depending on how strict you are).

Just a suggestion.

I've seen pretty good cuts on carb cycling. It's definitely not for everyone though.
Also, there's nothing wrong with losing 1-2lbs/week if you're not obese. If you're under 10% even .5lbs/week is good... Less is more when it comes to retaining muscle mass

Status
Not open for further replies.