Premeds gettin married

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thehappydoctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey y'all so just wondering when do most premed/med students/residents/doctors get married?

I always thought i would get married after college...but med school doesnt seem like the right time, and i guess we just get busier in residency and actual job...single life?

Members don't see this ad.

I hope to get married if/when I meet someone amazing and have taken a few years to get to know them & date them. When do you honestly think you will have more time? If it is something that is important to you, you have to MAKE the time. Plenty of people have done it and I'm sure you can too.

hey y'all so just wondering when do most premed/med students/residents/doctors get married?

I always thought i would get married after college...but med school doesnt seem like the right time, and i guess we just get busier in residency and actual job...single life?

im getting married in june, i graduate from college in may. most likely i will be reapplying and will be starting med in school in 2018.

Money-wise this just makes the most sense for my fiance and I, plus I want to get the name change thing over with before I start my professional career . Obviously every couple is different, but that's what we are doing :)

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like MS4 students have a lot of time on their hands though.

I'm sure you'll find sometime to build a relationship with.

You get married when you're ready and have someone willing to marry you. :p You can make anything work.

There are a couple people in my class who are already married (with kids), several who are engaged (one is getting married in a couple weeks and the rest I'd assume would be getting married within 4 years), several have serious SO's. I also know a lot of 3rd and 4th years who got married in the summers between years. It's perfectly feasible at any time, it just depends on your schedule and how you make it work with your partner and family. Use breaks (spring break, summer after MS1, research/vacation months) to your advantage if you are planning to get married during med school. I'd imagine residency is a lot more hectic, but again, anything is possible. People have babies during residency, a wedding is nothing compared to that.

My girlfriend really wants to get married before she starts residency (1.5 years) but I'm not in a huge hurry.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

My girlfriend really wants to get married before she starts residency (1.5 years) but I'm not in a huge hurry.

I've heard from several people that if the woman wants to take her husband's last name, it's better to do so before graduating from med school and getting all the licensure in her maiden name. Apparently it's a hassle to change. Not that that's a reason to get married sooner, but just another factor.

I've heard from several people that if the woman wants to take her husband's last name, it's better to do so before graduating from med school and getting all the licensure in her maiden name. Apparently it's a hassle to change. Not that that's a reason to get married sooner, but just another factor.

I'd be fine with her keeping her name. She wants to hyphenate though.

I'd be fine with her keeping her name. She wants to hyphenate though.

i know several people who did that. i thought about it, but seeing as i already have 2 middle names it would b a little riduclous..

i know several people who did that. i thought about it, but seeing as i already have 2 middle names it would b a little riduclous..

Since we'll be getting married after she's technically a doctor, I'd prefer if she kept her name as is (less confusion), but if she's insistent on hyphenating I'm not going to fight it.

Since we'll be getting married after she's technically a doctor, I'd prefer if she kept her name as is (less confusion), but if she's insistent on hyphenating I'm not going to fight it.

seems fair
:thumbup:

Are the kids going to get hyphenated names as well?

No. My name. I know a few couples where the wife hyphenated, but all their kids take only the husband's name. I'm not sure I'd be ok with it any other way.

Members don't see this ad :)
calm down there champ. they aren't even engaged yet

Should've been a little more general. (As in would you marry any girl and let the kids have hyphenated names).

I'm against that because the way I see it, when will the hyphenation ever end? Thankfully my s/o doesn't really care about her last name.

Should've been a little more general. (As in would you marry any girl and let the kids have hyphenated names).

I'm against that because the way I see it, when will the hyphenation ever end? Thankfully my s/o doesn't really care about her last name.

I haven't thought about it, but no I don't think I'd be ok with it.

I got married the Summer after MS1. I think I probably went to half a dozen weddings in medical school, it is not uncommon.

Looks like there'll be even more opportunities than I thought for free food in med school :naughty:

Looks like there'll be even more opportunities than I thought for free food in med school :naughty:

Free booze too :naughty:

I'm getting married in May and start school at the end of June. We've been together for over 3 1/2 years now.

As long as you aren't planning an exorbitant wedding, I don't see why you couldn't have it before, during, or after med school?

Married in 09. I'd be screwed on motivation if I didn't think I'd be failing my family too by not succeeding. Help, not hindrance. Somehow still have a wee bit of family time despite ft work & school.

As long as you aren't planning an exorbitant wedding, I don't see why you couldn't have it before, during, or after med school?

don't underestimate how much work these things are to plan. seriously, finishing up my senior year and planning a wedding is hard, i cant imagine trying to do it during med school

don't underestimate how much work these things are to plan. seriously, finishing up my senior year and planning a wedding is hard, i cant imagine trying to do it during med school

You're right, I have no idea how much time it takes. I always imagined a tiny, secret ceremony, eloping, or a destination wedding to limit complications...

why in the hell would anyone get married? just date/live together, why go thorugh all the trouble when you're still 2 apes at the end?

why in the hell would anyone get married? just date/live together, why go thorugh all the trouble when you're still 2 apes at the end?

There are governmental and legal benefits to marriage, but other than that you are absolutely right.

marriage gives huge benefits, especially if there are kids involved.
there are also cultural and religious reasons
personally though its about making a commitment in front of our family and friends, having some sort of bond outside of ourselves showing that we are together, and all that mushy crap lol

marriage gives huge benefits, especially if there are kids involved.
there are also cultural and religious reasons
personally though its about making a commitment in front of our family and friends, having some sort of bond outside of ourselves showing that we are together, and all that mushy crap lol

Seconding the culture aspect. I can't imagine anyone I know from California where I'm from getting married any time soon, so you can imagine my shock when I went to undergrad in Chicago and all of a sudden people are married and engaged right and left.

I've been dating someone since 2008 and I doubt we'll get married until after med school (if at all? who knows!).

I'm with you on this. My girlfriend, however, is not. My commitment to her/our relationship will not magically increase when we say "I do" so I don't see the point.

Seconding the culture aspect. I can't imagine anyone I know from California where I'm from getting married any time soon, so you can imagine my shock when I went to undergrad in Chicago and all of a sudden people are married and engaged right and left.

Yes thank you. Someone else from CA who understands!

I'm one of those college students that got married early, during my sophomore year. I was 21 years old when we got married on a beach in Lake Tahoe, CA, with a close-knit party of 7 immediate family members and my "best woman" and her "man of honor." We had been together for 3 years at the time and lasted 10 years total before realizing we no longer worked, that we had ultimately grew into two totally different people from the 19 and 20 year olds we were when we first met. As immensely heart breaking as it is today, I wouldn't trade the experience for the world, as it made both of us who we are today. And we remain very close friends. I wish it could've lasted, but even when we first married, we specifically kept all of our finances separate because we were realists and accepted the fact that this might happen in the future, even though we were madly in love at the time.

Anyway, I guess my point is that if it feels right to both parties, do it whenever it feels right for both of you. I'd strongly urge against acquiescing to your SO if it doesn't yet feel right. There are pros and cons to doing it at every point in life. But I think you'll both know when it's right.

You sound like my SO and I.... we're gonna be engaged forever! LOL.

But everyone treats us like we're already married. I mean, we kind of are, even if it's in spirit rather than in law.

I'm one of those college students that got married early, during my sophomore year. I was 21 years old when we got married on a beach in Lake Tahoe, CA, with a close-knit party of 7 immediate family members and my "best woman" and her "man of honor." We had been together for 3 years at the time and lasted 10 years total before realizing we no longer worked, that we had ultimately grew into two totally different people from the 19 and 20 year olds we were when we first met. As immensely heart breaking as it is today, I wouldn't trade the experience for the world, as it made both of us who we are today. And we remain very close friends. I wish it could've lasted, but even when we first married, we specifically kept all of our finances separate because we were realists and accepted the fact that this might happen in the future, even though we were madly in love at the time.

Anyway, I guess my point is that if it feels right to both parties, do it whenever it feels right for both of you. I'd strongly urge against acquiescing to your SO if it doesn't yet feel right. There are pros and cons to doing it at every point in life. But I think you'll both know when it's right.

You were both very young and it's great that you are still friends. I do wonder about the 'need' to get married. Some days it makes sense and some days it seems like a bit of a hassle... then you get into talking about the whole kids thing and it just gets scary.

I originally planned to get married the summer before school...but now we're getting married between M1 and M2! :)

I'm all for pairing up when it makes sense to do so, but you have to be realistic about how much better your life in your career will be if you get married now vs. how much of a limitation it puts on your actual career options along the way. We got an unofficial one of those "look to your left, look to you're right" talks about how many people get divorced in med school and the even higher rate when in residency not too long ago, but most of us were already familiar with the reality.

Sorry to paint a drearier picture for you, but I've had a few more years of experience in seeing how things work out for married couples down the road; especially ones where they're both doctors. You're now in the culture of medicine, which has to come before any others until you're out of your training. Anyone else that says otherwise hasn't been in it long enough. n=30ish couples.

You can get free cake in every hospital. Washing it down with champagne while on duty is frowned upon, though.

I'd probably get married at age 26

I'm in high school. I asked a senior if I could get her number. Her reply was "I'll give it to you, but I just want to let you know that I'm engaged"

:whoa:

I'm in high school. I asked a senior if I could get her number. Her reply was "I'll give it to you, but I just want to let you know that I'm engaged"

:whoa:

good god do u live in like alabama or something?

also what's with the influx of high school kids in pre-allo???

My wife kept her maiden name because she was already a physician and had multiple publications already. We also timed our marriage and baby on more on her research fellowship, rather than my med school start, since when she goes back to residency, we will have no flexibility.