prep-advice for part-1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keerthi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone,
I am a dentist in INDIA.I am coming to US in february on a student visa.I am planing to take my part-1 in july.
I am confused where to start my preparation from,I want your advice regarding the following
1) Is the time i have sufficient for my preparation
2) howabout joining kaplan for coaching,which has a centre in india
3) how efficient are the dental decks,What are they?from where could I get them/howmuch do they cost.
Hope someone out there could lead me through.

keerthi

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Keerthi,

Dental Decks are flash cards .There are about 1000 decks and they are very useful and you must be very thorough with them for the NBDE .

You have enough time for preparation.from Feb to July.

I think if you can get hold of kaplan Notes That is enough .

Study kaplan notes,decks and ASDA reprints .

Hope this helpsb

thanx samudsri for ur advice,
I think u r from India,I wanted to know if i could be carying any textbooks with me when i come to the US,for my preparation for national boards.please do advice
keerthi

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi keerthi,

Get as many Text books as you can.becaz they will be very useful for reference.

Samudsri

thank u oce again,
I have one more queri ,since I have 45 days time in INdia I am planing to join kaplan coaching for part-1 ,how helpfull is it for my preparation,please do advice
keerthi

I guess you really do not need to join Kaplan. Its way too expensive for the little things that they provide you with; It also depends on where you start off from. If you have been in touch with basic sciences you really do not need kaplan. If you feel that its been a while since you have brushed up on your basic sciences then maybe kaplan would be a good deal. Ask them if your memebership can be transfered to a center near your place of residence in the U.S when you get there. That way you could still use their service till the time of the exam.
Dental Decks are useful but you really need to study some good textbooks to score really high.
You will be in a good position to apply for the August 2004 program if you get a good score in this years July part 1 exam.
Good luck,
saravs

thank u saravs,
Wish u a happy new year.
I think you got your admission for the adv standing program,
how tough was it?how much time did it take for u to prepare for part-1.On what visa status are u in US.
I am just starting my prep

bye, keerthi

Hi sarav, keerthi and samudsri,
I too am sitting for my Boards Part 1 in july just like keerthi. Samudsri was kind enough to give me a few tips, but i'm still pretty confused about the kaplan notes bit.
Now i called up Kaplan in bombay, thats where i am presently and there starting the Part 1 course here in jan , but as sarav said its quite expensive , its about 29,000 rupees. I keep getting conflicting views from different people..some say its worth it, while some like sarav feel its a waste of money. So what do you think guys should i join it .I am moving to the states in June, so i have 6 months to prepare here, which should suffice. I have my college textbooks the decks and ASDA reprints. Should i join Kaplan or should i just rely on what i have . Help!!:confused:

Warm Regards & Happy New Year.
Mrinalini

Hi Mrinalini,

I think you are all set just start studying .Decks and ASDA reprints are very good. study the Text books. If you can get hold of Kaplan notes get them and study. Kaplan coaching is way too expensive.

I gave my exam recently and I can tell you for sure that DECKS and ASDA reprints are very useful.

GOOD LUCK!

Hi,
I find that there is really not sufficient time to really review everything ..Because these subjects are really so vast ..
For these types of exams that is Multiple choice ..it is really imporant to "Study Smart" not study hard ..should I say that !!!You just need to learn to pick out the right answer that is all ..Nobody needs to know whether you really know the subject throughly !!! or not ..

Do not "waste your time "pouring over various text Books and usmle books and various notes ...
Just study your Dental decks and use your previous exams reprints ..u can also try and e-mail kaplan center for their on-line question bank for a month ..it is quite good ..Kaplan book is really very vast ..and many things are not tested for NDBE ..
It is an extensive exams ..You will hardly have time to even complete the questions less alone review what you did ..Less than a minute per Question ..!!!..You just need to read a question and mark the best answer and move on ....that is how this exams is ....
So study SMART .Do your Decks that should be enough and also your old papers ..If many of you e-mail the asda" they might even release the last 5 years of papers .., also check out kaplan on -line question Bank.
You really need to sit and think about getting into Dental School over here .It is a tough call for anyone .You need to first do a lot of research and get all your facts right and then prepare mentally what you really would like to do , talk to your parents about the costs and the rigors of getting and going to school here .It is really going to be a lot harder than people really tell you ....Just so that you can mentally and emotionally and financially prepare for this .

Hope this helps
smilemaker

Hey,
Thank u...samudsri &smilemaker.
I've gone through the Decks they are pretty good. One last question..where can i get hold of Kaplan notes ? I dont want to join the course.

Anyone in India interested in selling Kaplan part1 notes contact me.

Thanx..
Mrinalini

hi mrinalini,
hows ur prep going on.its good to know that ur in the same dilema of how to approach the part1.I am from hyderabad and going to US in february,on a student visa.It would be helpfull for both of us if we share informn about the part1.be in touch.
keerthi

Hey Keerthi,
I agree with you , we both are in the same boat so we can definitely help each other. My studies are on hold rite now, I am shifting residence so i will be preoccupied for a week.Hows your prep going? Did you join Kaplan?
You mentioned that you were going on a student visa, How come ,are you joining a masters course there?
I think the decks and asda reprints are sufficient, and when i'm stuck i go back to my text books. I started out initially studying only from my text books but that was turning out to be very cumbersome..so i do the decks and go back and read up on all the answers and topics mentioned in the decks.I think that should be sufficient.
If i can be of any help..give me a holler.
Best of luck
Mrinalini

he hai,
Its good that we share our ideas.
I have decided not to join kaplan since i have no time in india.
I havent started my preparation extensively,as i am planing my trip to the US.I should be serious when i reach there.
From when did u start ur preparation?
when did u finish ur BDS?What was ur overall percentage?
Its an exact year since i finished my internship.
bye
keerthi

hey keerthi,
Hows it going? long time...well my shift in residence is complete.
Hows preps going? I have only recently started my prep ..but its not yet serious. though i am going to get serious now that i have finished shifting..i did a bit of micro in dec nothing concrete. I finished my internship last feb so its going to be one year.I hope alls well with you.

Take care
Warm Regards

Mrinalini

hi keerthi and mrinalini,

i got good info from this thresd. thank for smilemaker, saravas and samudsri who gave valuable info.

hey....
even i am travelling in the same boat as u two people. even i like to be in touch with you and share my views with u..( hope u like my idea !)

even i am planning to give the exam in july 2003.. part 1. and i am all alone for the preparation. i wish ur company makes me feel relaxed and comfortable.

hey... did u start with text books or with kaplan books? or else directly with decks? i dont have either decks or asda reprints. i have contacted some of them for buying. how did u people buy these? r they available in any store or online?
please let me know so that i too can start my preparation with decks and asda reprints.( now i am studying the text books )

please reply,
1star

hey...

i am sorry... i did not tell u my info.

i am from A.P. and i am now in texas in M.P.H. course.

hope i get the info from u i asked soon.

bye and all the best.

1star.:)