Prep courses for boards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Espressso

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is that even a thing? For a first year DO student just average within the class rank right now. wondering if people opt into doing a prep course.

Members don't see this ad.

Is that even a thing? For a first year DO student just average within the class rank right now. wondering if people opt into doing a prep course.

Are you talking about like in-person prep courses? If so Kaplan and WolfPacc are the two that I know of, but they are both incredibly expensive and if your school has mandatory events, realistically I don't see how any student can physically attend. Starting either one during the summer between your 1st and 2nd year will be costly for very little benefit since there's simply not enough time in 2 months to learn all of 2nd year content and most of the material will be over your head.

No, not worth it. Huge waste of money and time and they aren't really teaching you anything your school shouldn't have already covered.

I actually considered this as well but ultimately just bought my own resources based on my learning style and did quite well. COMLEX isn't too bad.. the questions are easier than USMLE and with 1-2 passes of UWorld, 1 pass of Sketchy, 1 pass of Pathoma, and 1-2 passes of OMG OMT you should get a pretty score :D

If your school tries to convince you to do a prep course, run!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Are you talking about like in-person prep courses? If so Kaplan and WolfPacc are the two that I know of, but they are both incredibly expensive and if your school has mandatory events, realistically I don't see how any student can physically attend. Starting either one during the summer between your 1st and 2nd year will be costly for very little benefit since there's simply not enough time in 2 months to learn all of 2nd year content and most of the material will be over your head.

No, not worth it. Huge waste of money and time and they aren't really teaching you anything your school shouldn't have already covered.

I actually considered this as well but ultimately just bought my own resources based on my learning style and did quite well. COMLEX isn't too bad.. the questions are easier than USMLE and with 1-2 passes of UWorld, 1 pass of Sketchy, 1 pass of Pathoma, and 1-2 passes of OMG OMT you should get a pretty score :D

If your school tries to convince you to do a prep course, run!!!

Thank you. They don't try.. at least they haven't yet. I was just curious. For those who have taken both USMLE and COMLEX... which order did you do them in? And what was the time frame for the studying/examination? Step before Level 1? Take them within the same month. I've gotten so many mixed opinions on this.

Thank you. They don't try.. at least they haven't yet. I was just curious. For those who have taken both USMLE and COMLEX... which order did you do them in? And what was the time frame for the studying/examination? Step before Level 1? Take them within the same month. I've gotten so many mixed opinions on this.

I did 2 months of studying for USMLE, took 2 weeks bewtween to study OMM, then took COMLEX right after. Worked perfectly for me

Reactions: 1 user