Prep for DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MTD52

Class of 2014
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have only recently decided that I want to go to dental school, which isn't exactly in a timely fashion, being that I'm already a junior, so here's my question that follows....

I looked at the topics that are included on the DAT and there are some that I have not yet taken - some of which I plan to take in the spring 2009 semester, but some not. I also find that most people take the DAT in their junior year, but I don't see it possible to have taken all of the courses to cover each topic on the test by that time. That being said, do most people take the test not having taken every class for the topics included? And would it be bad to take the DAT without having taken something covered on it, like Cell & Molecular Biology for instance?

I need to finalize my schedule very soon and I'm not sure what to do with it, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Make sure you take a year of Bio, Gen Chem and Orgo before you take the DAT. A class like Cell & Molec Bio may help you, but is not required, and I believe that the questions on the DAT generally do not require more than the depth provided by your regular Bio textbook.

I'd say it's totally possible to do well on the DAT without a few of the classes.

Ochem 2 is basically one reaction seen 100 different ways. You can just memorize that. The core material is in ochem 1, so if you've had that you can probably learn 2 on your own. It's not easy, though, but doable.

The gen chem section is easy to prepare for if you've had any gen chem. I'd recommend finishing both courses before the exam. I maybe spent 3-4 hours out of my cram looking at gen chem, which helped out in other areas.

Bio is mostly intro bio material. There are a few specifics you should get from your cell bio book though (if they weren't covered in your intro bio class, because most of them are): genetics (transcription, translation), cell messaging (cyclic amp, hormones, etc.), photosynthesis, respiration, biomolecules, and glycolysis. I didn't have any physio before the exam, and there were some physio questions. I learned all of that from the kaplan book.

It wouldn't be easy, but I would never say it's impossible.

The relevant classes I have taken so far are:
General Chem I & II
Organic Chem I & II
General Bio I & II
Anatomy & Physiology I
Genetics

So you think I would be fine to take the DAT without taking Cell & Molec before it?

Members don't see this ad :)
can any body tell me what do i have to study before the exam ?and where can i take a useful course for them like kablan ? or others?

and how many times can i get the exam ?

sorry but i have no idia about this exam

thanks

can any body tell me what do i have to study before the exam ?and where can i take a useful course for them like kablan ? or others?

and how many times can i get the exam ?

sorry but i have no idia about this exam

thanks

There are a number of ways to study for the DAT. If you are looking for a class, take the kaplan class, but it is expensive for what it offers. I took the online version of the class and felt it was helpful, but for the price I don't think I would take it again. I'll let you make the decision on that. However, there are a number of study materials I would recommend to help you prepare.

Assuming you don't take the kaplan class, buy the kaplan DAT book - its probably the best all around prep book, although it is weak in some areas. I would say you need to supplement the biology section with something else as well as the PAT section. I would just get either schaum's outline of biology or Cliff's AP biology for more details on what you need to know for bio. For the PAT section, practice is what you need the most. I would get Crack DAT PAT - its a computer software with plenty of practice PAT questions. I would also get either Topscore pro DAT or DAT Achiever for multiple computer based practice tests of the entire exam to see where you are at before you actually take the real thing. Anyway, I hope this helps. Good luck.

Kaplan DAT Book
Schaum's outline of biology
Cliff's AP biology
Crack DAT PAT
Topscore DAT
DAT Achiever