Prep for the PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ANaik

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking the PCAT this July and I needed some advice. I see many posts that have numerous view but 0 replies. I thought this forum was to help each other out and aid each other towards success throughout college, the PCAT, and pharmacy school? That being said I wanted to ask whomever will reply (if anyone at all)..what all to study for exactly.

Quantative - I heard that most of this section is mainly Calculus. I have Dr. Collins study guide and I heard that it helps out VERY much on this section, especially calculus. Are there any other tips that I should know?

Biology - They have updated the PCAT and there is no longer any animal or plant (non-biology) material. The main concern I have is microbiology. What exactly do I need to know in order to understand the material. I also have heard that Collins section on microbiology will help guide you through it.

Verbal - I am not too worried about verbal. I have Collins for this and the GRE vocab lists so hopefully it helps. Is that enough material to cover in order to get a high composite score on the verbal section?

Reading - Not too worried.

Chemistry - I heard the chemistry portion now has a bit more biochemistry in it. Such as structures of proteins, carbs, etc. What all should I study for this section? I understand that about 70% is general chem and 30% is organic chem. Is there any specific study methods or guides that I should use for chemistry besides Collins?

If anyone can assist me or has any insight on how to help score well on the pcat please let me know and reply to this thread.

:xf:

Members don't see this ad.

I am taking the PCAT this July and I needed some advice. I see many posts that have numerous view but 0 replies. I thought this forum was to help each other out and aid each other towards success throughout college, the PCAT, and pharmacy school? That being said I wanted to ask whomever will reply (if anyone at all)..what all to study for exactly.

Quantative - I heard that most of this section is mainly Calculus. I have Dr. Collins study guide and I heard that it helps out VERY much on this section, especially calculus. Are there any other tips that I should know?

Biology - They have updated the PCAT and there is no longer any animal or plant (non-biology) material. The main concern I have is microbiology. What exactly do I need to know in order to understand the material. I also have heard that Collins section on microbiology will help guide you through it.

Verbal - I am not too worried about verbal. I have Collins for this and the GRE vocab lists so hopefully it helps. Is that enough material to cover in order to get a high composite score on the verbal section?

Reading - Not too worried.

Chemistry - I heard the chemistry portion now has a bit more biochemistry in it. Such as structures of proteins, carbs, etc. What all should I study for this section? I understand that about 70% is general chem and 30% is organic chem. Is there any specific study methods or guides that I should use for chemistry besides Collins?

If anyone can assist me or has any insight on how to help score well on the pcat please let me know and reply to this thread.

:xf:

Here's a clear blueprint on what will be on the exam. It should be clear on what to study.

http://pcatweb.info/downloads/about/PCAT_Test_Blueprint_and_Sample_Items_2011_12.pdf