PREP Job Market Webinar

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Johnny Sunshine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My department watched the recent webinar on the pathology job market on April 16th, known as "The Dark Report".

It seems several departments/residencies were logged on and watching it as well. Anyone here do so, and what are your impressions? Any surprises, doubts, insights?

It seemed to mostly confirm what my group had already known, that there are still jobs out there but the market has severely contracted recently.

The main factor contributing to the current glut of pathologists? It seems that the anticipated big push of retiring pathologists didn't happen, because a lot of them had their retirement savings plans hit hard by the recession. Instead of them retiring out of the field, we are now forced to wait for them to die out. :(

They kind of wrapped up with a cop-out in my opinion, basically giving no more encouragement than a vague "it should get better soon".

Members don't see this ad.

My department watched the recent webinar on the pathology job market on April 16th, known as "The Dark Report".

It seems several departments/residencies were logged on and watching it as well. Anyone here do so, and what are your impressions? Any surprises, doubts, insights?

It seemed to mostly confirm what my group had already known, that there are still jobs out there but the market has severely contracted recently.

The main factor contributing to the current glut of pathologists? It seems that the anticipated big push of retiring pathologists didn't happen, because a lot of them had their retirement savings plans hit hard by the recession. Instead of them retiring out of the field, we are now forced to wait for them to die out. :(

They kind of wrapped up with a cop-out in my opinion, basically giving no more encouragement than a vague "it should get better soon".

No, no, no. You didn't hear? ASCP and CAP are saying there is a looming massive shortage! Don't cut their residency funding! We need way more pathologists than we are training now!

No, no, no. You didn't hear? ASCP and CAP are saying there is a looming massive shortage! Don't cut their residency funding! We need way more pathologists than we are training now!

I wonder if they will still feel that way should torches and pitchforks come out.

Members don't see this ad :)
No one? Really?

I find it odd that so much bluster on the job market gets thrown around here, yet an actual pathologist recruiter gives a presentation on the statistics and survey responses he's seen and it gets ignored...

No one? Really?

I find it odd that so much bluster on the job market gets thrown around here, yet an actual pathologist recruiter gives a presentation on the statistics and survey responses he's seen and it gets ignored...

What was the data that he presented?

Indeed, was there a powerpoint that you could share, or is it proprietary? I was very interested to hear this talk, but was unable that day...