Preparation for Boards during residency

Started by TexasRose
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TexasRose

Gotta run
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In light of the recent discussion about the Peds Boards and how much preparation is required, I wondered what some of our knowledgeable residents/fellows/attendings would offer as advice for incoming residents. How should we prepare? Is this something we should be studying for throughout training? What materials are available? Do residency programs help or is this all up to the trainee?

Thanks in advance! 🙂
 
Good thread idea, TR! I agree, I'd love to hear from those who have been there before...want to make sure I start off on the right foot, knowing what I need to be doing from the beginning to make sure I'm well-prepared.
 
Haven't been there (not going there), haven't done that (not doing that) BUT I did get some advice from a wise old neonatologist (who is not OBP, 'cause OBP's not old!). He suggested that you take your field's main text (so, Nelsons) and divide the number of pages by 365. Read that many pages a day. In year 2, do it again. Year 3 - repeat.

I'm sure lots of people can comment, expand, or shoot this down. As I acknowledged, it's just the advice of one pediatrician to a lowly third year medical student!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
BUT I did get some advice from a wise old neonatologist (who is not OBP, 'cause OBP's not old!).

😍😍 But unfortunately, I am old....

He suggested that you take your field's main text (so, Nelsons) and divide the number of pages by 365. Read that many pages a day. In year 2, do it again. Year 3 - repeat.

Not sure I agree that Nelson's is the best board review text, but others who've taken pedi boards recently could comment. I do think that it is best to wait until at least your PL-2 year (or even PL-3 yr) and after you've taken your "in training" exam or whatever they call it and get an idea of where you stand and what is being asked.

Then, I might focus on themes (e.g. endocrine disorders, etc) rather than do it by "pages." A lot of the major textbooks cross themes in various sections of the text and this might not be ideal for board review.

It might be helpful for recent board-takers to comment about the value of the various pedi board review courses.
 
PREP The Curriculum (at least the self-assessment part and for many, Peds in Review as well) is generally provided to Pediatric Residents at no cost and is designed to cover the ABP content. I found that Peds in Review and PREP, plus plenty of clinical variety, was all that was really necessary for boards. The yearly In-Training exams can help identify weaknesses and strengths (you should score better every year).

Bottom line: there is no "best" way. Don't stress about it yet. If you work hard, pay attention, read articles, then you'll do fine.

S
 
Just finished residency, took boards and luckily passed. As for studying during residency...sounds cliche..but study from your patients . Read about your patients and learn what you can about their disease presentation and management, etc. Teach your med students and junior residents what you know, you learn from reviewing as well. Make a point to go to your residency didactic lectures or case presentations, its easy to blow them off to try and finish up your notes or whatever, but your in residency to learn and lectures are a part of that. My residency was good at covering the topics on the boards and most programs make a concerted effort to teach you what you need to know. How much you remember is a different story. Dont be afraid of the in service examination, its a good time to practice and find your weak spots. And for review, I agree with Laughing Your Way Through Boards. Excellent review, sometimes too corny but it got the job done for me. PREP questions helped as well, but you have to read the answers. My program gave us like 5-6 questions a week and offered a raffle for everyone who did them so I would usually do them.

As for reading Nelsons cover to cover. I obviously haven't done it but I think its about 1200 pages long. Divide that up...ever try to read 35 pages of Nelsons when your on call? Post Call? Anytime? Its brutal. I think its a reference to read on certain topics.
 
Just finished residency, took boards and luckily passed. As for studying during residency...sounds cliche..but study from your patients . Read about your patients and learn what you can about their disease presentation and management, etc. Teach your med students and junior residents what you know, you learn from reviewing as well. Make a point to go to your residency didactic lectures or case presentations, its easy to blow them off to try and finish up your notes or whatever, but your in residency to learn and lectures are a part of that. My residency was good at covering the topics on the boards and most programs make a concerted effort to teach you what you need to know. How much you remember is a different story. Dont be afraid of the in service examination, its a good time to practice and find your weak spots. And for review, I agree with Laughing Your Way Through Boards. Excellent review, sometimes too corny but it got the job done for me. PREP questions helped as well, but you have to read the answers. My program gave us like 5-6 questions a week and offered a raffle for everyone who did them so I would usually do them.

As for reading Nelsons cover to cover. I obviously haven't done it but I think its about 1200 pages long. Divide that up...ever try to read 35 pages of Nelsons when your on call? Post Call? Anytime? Its brutal. I think its a reference to read on certain topics.

Thanks for a great first post on SDN. Welcome and please don't be a stranger to this or the other forums.👍
 
Thanks for a great first post on SDN. Welcome and please don't be a stranger to this or the other forums.👍

Agreed! Thanks for the helpful information, doublebubble and swozbie! I like the idea of just trying to learn as much as possible during didactics and from patients as they come....it does nothing but improve the care you give your patients when you're doing your best to learn about their problems and how to best treat them, and you get the added bonus of preparation for boards and in-service exams.
 
i posted on the other board thread, but will add a few things here as well.

nelsons i *may* have cracked open a half dozen times during residency. i don;t think using it for board review would be very efficient. i agree the best way to learn is by knowing your patients-- but even at my program where we saw nearly every trainwreck known to man, there's always stuff you won't see. genetic syndromes, endocrine disorders, heme/onc, etc.

I used PREP primarily along with laughing and passed comfortably. i was paranoid at the beginning of my studying because i didn't know what % correct on PREP was equatable with passing-- but to help you all out i was around 80% when i finished. I also used first aid but found it (like nelsons) to probably be a bit too detailed for my liking.

and no offense to OBP, but the time you spend in the NICU isn't very high yield for the general boards. which can be reassuring if you aren't into that stuff or disappointing if you dig it.

use your inservice as a guide, but remember to hit even the stuff you are strong at when reviewing. i would spend PGY1-PGY2 just learning general peds, then your PGY3 year honing in on weaker stuff or stuff your program doesn't get exposed to. set a time prior to boards to start studying, and pace yourself to go through laughing a few times and get at least 3-5 years of PREP under your belt. polish things off with some factoids from first aid, and i think you will do just fine.

--your friendly freshly board certified caveman
 
and no offense to OBP, but the time you spend in the NICU isn't very high yield for the general boards. which can be reassuring if you aren't into that stuff or disappointing if you dig it.

eh, no offense taken at all. NICU time is virtually useless for pedi boards (a bit of well baby stuff might show up, but that's it). It is excellent for neo boards though.😉

and congrats on passing boards.....