Preparation for MCAT Genetics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joshto

Nervous&Neurotic
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems as though Genetics is being tested more now than it ever has.
How does one prepare (as best they can) for the current MCAT focus on genetics?

I have EK for Bio, and there is very little molecular bio/genetics

Members don't see this ad.

Well if you have the time take a genetics class. After my genetics class I turned a weak point into a very strong one and my bio scores reflected that. After the genetics class all the questions on the practice tests concerning genetics seemed REALLY basic.

I think OP is looking for a solid review book on genetics. Don't know of one myself.

TPR Hyperlearning Bio?

I guess genetics is a fairly broad topic. Which topics, specifically, are most directly tested? Are we talking punnet squares or pedigrees? or are we talking more molecular bio--DNA Replication, RFLPs, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I remember, if you know the EK material for genetics cold, that is all you will need to know for the MCAT. I'm not sure what other source would be more detailed but I definitely would NOT suggest taking a genetics class, that is entirely overkill.

Just remember that the mcat is mainly based on lower division classes, going deep into genetics will result in a lot of useless material, I believe it might help for one or two questions it did for me but a semester/ quarter long classes for 1-2 questions seems like a waste. Work on a lot of the basics understand DNA, make sure you understand the terms there isn't much missing of EK's sections.