1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Preparation for Step 2 CS

Discussion in 'Step II' started by GATO, Jun 14, 2008.

1. GATO

5+ Year Member

Post Doc
    I am worrying about my preparation for step 2 CS. I am an IMG living in San Diego for 10 years. I found an American friend who helps me pretend as a patient once a week. When I am alone, how should I study? I am reading First Aid, and using USMLEWORLD. I will appreciate for any suggestions. Thank you for your help.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. GATO

5+ Year Member

Post Doc
    I found how to study when I am alone. Look at videos in UW and mimic physical exams. Practice using case scinarios in FA & UW (ask questions to myself-feel I am a phycho, pretend physical exams, write notes checking time (15 min and 10 min), then compare mine to their questions, notes in FA & UW.
    Is this enough?

4. NuMD97

NuMD97 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

If you don't want to spend the money on Kaplan or any other type review, there are several websites for brushing up on the various components of the physical exam. The Connecticut tutorials are pretty good. I just wanted to see what the "experts" do that I, perhaps, didn't in my physicals.

I also used five review texts. Yes, it was overkill, but I really, really didn't want to shell out another $1,500 in expenses again. I filled about three notebooks working out all the clinical cases, and then corrected it. In the end, the best book was FA, which I bought two weeks before the encounter. Then I created flash cards of all their quick review cases. There are about 160 in all. And frankly, after doing those, I came out of the test realizing there truthfully weren't any surprises. FA literally covers every possible scenario you will encounter. Practice using the mnemonics. When you write the cases, you literally plug into the mnemonics and it will cut down on your nervousness exam day. It'll just be another 12 cases like you've been doing in your review.

One last thing: I was always the last to enter the room. It's important to get the data down that's on the doorway information, including the patient's name. It sounds perhaps silly, but you will get points for how you address the patient. I also asked the female patients how they prefer to be addressed: Mrs./Miss/Ms. It may sound weird, but the whole test is.

FA also points out how certain abnormalities that you would encounter on a real physical are simulated by the standardized patient. That alone was worth the price of the book. It was a real eye-opener.

Too, keep in mind the time constraints. Don't waste the time repeating BP and the like. If you have a dizzy patient, put orthostatics as one of the orders. It saves time for other things. And combine steps. Wash hands while talking to the patient for example. Yes, eye contact is important, but with 15 minutes (and no watch!), one has to be expedient.

I hope that this is of some help to you. Do a search. This issue has been amply discussed elsewhere.

Good luck!

Nu

5. BabyPsychDoc

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thank you for the advice! Do you mind posting a link to the Connecticut tutorials? I am being paranoid about differences between the UK and the US medicine; would love to get some peace of mind by watching some US-based tutorials.

6. NuMD97

NuMD97 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

It would be my pleasure:

http://www.conntutorials.com/

There are others. I'm not typing on my home computer right now so I can't access all my links, but I suggest you do a google search. I found these tutorials very helpful, especially for the neuro and musculoskeletal exam. That and my teddy bear patient (as someone else had suggested). :)

Good luck!

Nu

7. pokiri

Medical Student
  8. GATO

5+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Thank you for your generous information, Dr. Nu.

I heard that time management is pretty important.

1. Can I bring my watch (analog) or is there a clock or timer in the room?

2. Is there a clock or timer in the desk where I write a patient note?

Thank you.

9. DCMDtobe

DCMDtobe New Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I really liked the Kaplan USMLE Step 2 CS book. One quick read through, and I had a lot of confidence on test day. Goal #1 is to pass, of course, but it's also nice feeling pretty confident as you wait 4-8+ weeks for your result to come back.

I typically get books like this from half.com, then resell em at a loss of just a couple bucks for shipping.

http://product.half.ebay.com/_W0QQprZ52764076QQtgZinfo

10. FaddyAcids

FaddyAcids Member
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm an IMG planning to take the CS exam in the last year of med school but I'm worrying if I could pass as I wouldnt have taken all clinical rotations by then!

Any advices would be greatly appreciated..

11. rox

rox ossified
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Will you be finished with IM, Peds, Obs/Gyne and Surgery?

12. FaddyAcids

FaddyAcids Member
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'll be done with IM and Peds.. Ob/Gyn and Surgery are taken in the last year in my school..

13. Saladin MD

Saladin MD EM Resident
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks a lot. Just watching the abdominal examination. The guy who introduces Dr. Polio is such an uber-dork. lol @ his Pointdexter voice.