Preparation Rad Onc Elective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drchristieb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am doing my radiation oncology elective in the spring. Does anyone have any recommendations on how best to prepare? What are the best books to buy and read? Has this topic been discussed on another thread? I have a strong interest in rad onc.

Members don't see this ad.

Here is a pretty recent thread. In addition to the clinical books listed in the thread you might want to skim the book "Radiobiology for the Radiologist", but just to get a basic understanding of the different types of radiation used and the theory behind fractionation--chapters 1 and 22 in the 5th edition. If you can't borrow this book or find it in the library, don't worry about it; you do not need to buy this book at this point.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=574758

I'd recommend the Hansen and Roach book "Handbook of Evidence-based Radiation Oncology" which gives a pretty good overview of the treatment and literature for each cancer site.

Skip the "Radiobiology for the Radiologist" unless you're having trouble falling asleep.

Members don't see this ad :)
The cockroach is a nice quick review. But it's in sort of an outline format. If you like more of a narrative to read from, the new Haffty book is fairly light and informative (at least compared to the giant small mammal-killer textbooks).

the new Haffty book is fairly light and informative

Are you referring to the "Handbook of Radiation Oncology: Basic Principles and Clinical Protocols"? Any other opinions out there on this book?

It's a good book all around, probably worth $50. Some chapters are worse than others.

Are you referring to the "Handbook of Radiation Oncology: Basic Principles and Clinical Protocols"? Any other opinions out there on this book?