Preparation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dcrossland13

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a freshman taking pre med in my second semester of college. I know that I have to take the mcat to get into med school at the end . What I was wondering is what I should be doing overall at this point to prepare for what's ahead? And if it's too early to start studying for the mcat?

Members don't see this ad.

If you follow your way through getting your degree within the 4 years, you will take the MCAT in the spring of your junior year. Most people spend around 100 days studying for the MCAT. There are plenty of plans for you to use when it comes to that time. Many people study through the spring and take it in April/May/June. Right now it is very early for you to start studying for the MCAT. I also recommend that you take all the classes that are on the MCAT before taking it i.e. OChem, Bio, Physics etc.

What you need to do right now is focus on your GPA, and start on your volunteering/EC's.

Members don't see this ad :)
For sure, if you want to get a head-start for the MCAT, really make sure you study your pre-reqs. Much of the material will seem new to you (looking at you, ochem and biochem), but if you concetrate on learning the material well the first time, it will be easier when you review that material for the MCAT. But until you get to that point, best to focus on your classes.

Other than that, maintaining a solid GPA and getting clinical experiencing in is a good start.

-Get good grades
-kill MCAT (Junior year with no gap year, senior with gap year)
-volunteer
-shadow
-obtain leadership positions
-Get LOR from professors or committee
-Stalk forums as pre-med it is 1000000x better than a "pre-med advisor" as they call them.

Reactions: 1 user